Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU
View Single Post
Old 29-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I plugged USD100K into one of those "paycheck calculators" on the internet for California and after Federal, Social Security, Medicare, California tax and "CA SDI", I got S$81,506 (using 1.26 conversion) take home pay. That's S$6,792. Your paycheck in Singapore would only be S$4,875 as your CPF isn't disposable income i.e., its not in your paycheck. Social Security is similar to CPF and Medicare is similar to Medisave.

When all is said and done, you are S$1,917 poorer in Singapore. Furthermore, if you grew up in the US and are a US permanent resident, you are subject to US taxes anyway!
hello. purchasing a 401k would more or less equal out. not to mention if you have kids, paying for their tuition and prep schools(esp prep schools!!) would carve a big hole out of your 'disposable income'.

social security =/= cpf. one is a social insurance scheme incl. unemployment benefits etc and the other is a state pension plan. if you are trying to inform others you should google more and be more thorough.

if you are trying to act smart and bs your way through i suggest you shut up.