Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Supply Chain Sector
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2018, 11:32 PM
Verified Member

JoblessGrad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Sure I dont mind share more with you because I have been always in this field and i really wish young ppl can try to push this industry and i will say the young are the one that will make changes to this industry of course not forgetting the old bird that can provide experience talk. on the other hand i also try to put the ugly fact to let ppl know if they going to enter this industry.Is really not an glamorous industry like banking and finance where by people will wow about your job.

Anyway do you mind to share with me where you will be graduating from?

Hmmm i will say in logistics industry no one will thanks you for making things happen and if anything wrong then all the responsible will be on you. Planner can be alot of planner, anyway i can tell you is that de position is just a word that company use. you can be a planner while working like a coordinator and is nothing wrong because you plan for bla bla bla. demand and supply planner is more challenging as you know you need to know all the lead time, re ordering point and those you have studied. And after all the challenge you fulfill de task, no one thanks you cause that is your job but if screw up then GG. i wont say is because high stress then high pay but stressful is for sure. Especially if you work in big company that handling alot of SKU, alot of supplier or etc. My job in SAF are sort of planner as well because I look after every single **** for my unit from toilet paper to bullets. Planner is fun if you like to tracks and see data especially if need to forecast. And if using SAP or oracle your eye will even more stress haha.

like i mentioned maybe i am unlucky but of course you can try to apply for planner or job that required SAP and learn from there. If i wasnt in SAF i also do not know how to use SAP. You need to find way to get to what you want to learn be it if the salary is low. Everyone have different experience so maybe mine is just the unlucky one so you can just take it as reference.

Procurement, that is my second target when i look for job last time. And i was lucky enough to land myself in procurement in forwarder last time. Not sure what you friend procure in logistics industry because is not a common job in logistics industry and logistic industry i meant logistic company like DHL bla bla. And for logistics to have procurement that will be quite a big scale company. I am in freight procurement last time, so i negotiate ocean freight rate and etc with carriers. If i am not wrong there aren't alot of this position in the market. other than that it will be airfreight procurement because ocean and air is one of the main money generating business for forwarder. And yes your friend is right, negotiation is one of the big part of the job, talk to carriers daily, meetings, business review, kanna question by carrier, fire fight, entertaining(depend on company). calculate buy/sell rate, capacity management and etc. Just curious what company your friend is in haha maybe i know him or her haha.

Procurement is a function, so it is more common in other industry like manufacturing, oil and gas and all other company that make things. you can be direct or indirect procurement as well so see what kind you are into. For example indirect procurement you can be procuring stuff that is support the business but not for the business. But as a starting point just land yourself in procurement and venture to other in future. Procurement is fun to me because i dont like to do sales. I like ppl to talk to me so want to go into procurement. But in fact that is not very true because instead of sale to beg for business, procurement also need to beg sales to close the deal at the price is needed. Same, a lot of calculation, how to buy(strategic buy), supplier relation management is important, relation is good sometime can just do wonders.

haha so you experience it before also? what a sad truth right. Anyway do you mind sharing why you wanna study logistics? no choice?

Hi. I am graduating from SIM RMIT, degree in Log and scm. I feel that a career in logistics and supply chain is a very stable one, as compared to working in banks, sales type of jobs. I studied it because I feel that it is very useful and the knowledge will help me in my career and future plans. My ultimate goal is to set up a company doing distribution.

Anw, my friend is actually a logistics coordinator. She had procurement experience as an intern before.

Are you still in procurement now? I am keen to join procurement too, as I find it quite interesting. Do you think a fresh grad should start from a buyer position? Because they don't usually hire fresh grad. However my lecturer has advice against it, she say that you can start as an logistics executive, from there you see what you really like first.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app