Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Cornell vs Cambridge vs SMU
View Single Post
Old 28-03-2011, 11:49 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
How many of you advising here went to a top school. Or are you one who thinks "had i gone to a top school, my life would have been much better".

Getting admission to a good school abroad does show good grades and potential, but it hardly shows amazing merit. There are many who mite have got scholarships either locally or abroad. That shows merit in my view.
Fool. So you're going around telling every local undergrad that they seem to have merit because they "MIGHT have gotten scholarships". Everybody who applies to scholarships falls under this category, but most are laughably unqualified.
Quote:
There was this post on this forum from an IVY League guy who was struggling to find a job. Well, Cambridge is good but what if you graduate at a time when Economy is bad ?? Who would care for a foreign undergrad student.
One thread out of hundreds of local farmers who have it worse because they stayed in Singapore. Get some common sense.
Quote:
Unless u have statistics to prove that with 90% chance, a cambridge degree (that too undergrad) will ensure a better career and finances , dont just justify this decision based on Ranking n Reputation.
Sure. There're investment banks whose Singapore offices have a policy of not hiring local grads because they proved disappointingly bad. Many finance/consulting offices who do interview local grads are still dominated by foreign grads from the likes of Oxbridge and Ivy League, even though there're far more local applicants. Do YOU have the stats to prove that local degree can get you anywhere as far as a foreign degree? Dream on.
Quote:
If he does well in SMU , he mite get a scholarship for higher studies. That in my opinion proves ones talent more.
Who the hell will give you a scholarship for masters?

Quote:
The western univs have two kinds of talents. One are those who actually are given scholarships and the others who can pay. And I can tell that a scholarship at a 10th rank univ in UK mite have more worth than paying for ur degree at Cambridge.
Irrelevant. This does not change the fact that either option would be better than staying at a local uni. You can't even form an argument without going off-track. You must be a local grad.