Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Being an Expat in China
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2018, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaswind View Post
Thanks for the response. My current salary are at Mid $6k pm (before cpf contribution by employer). I am gg to a mid size city (7mil population) in China.

I am thinking of asking for 25% to 35% more than what i am getting now (including employer contribution). Employer contribution is 17% and capped at $1020 (because cpf contribution only up to $6k base pay). Therefore, I thinking this should be my minimum expectation

1.25 to 1.35 times current salary + $1020 + 1 monthly flight back home + accommodation allowance.

Sounds reasonable?
Oh 6k-ish sort of level definitely won't be on expat terms. I think the 25% upside + 1020 is possible, but monthly flight back home is way too high liao. Even for real expats flights are only 2x - 4x a year. You will be very lucky to even get 2x a year, most local foreign postings I know of only provide flights 0-2x a year.

Accommodation is up to you to ask, I would say 50:50 chance of getting depending on how much the company need you. For your level most of the time it's budgeted at very basic level of living, so you will need to pay a bit more on your own if you want a better living condition. But if you are single male then I recommend just stick with the budget they give you, most tier 2 cities basic apartments though not fantastic is livable if you are not too fussy type.

You can start with 25% upside for nego, but company might not match because Tier 2/3 cities are generally much cheaper than Sg in living standards, I know of some locals who went China smaller cities on same or slight drop in salary. Depends on how much they value you.

In short, Singaporeans working in China on local packages should be able to maintain or slightly lower living standards compared to here, but potential to save more over long term. Just go in with realistic expectations, no such thing as live like king if you are not at the level of expatriation.