Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Being an Expat in China
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2018, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by goaswind View Post
Anyone has any experience or knowledge on how much an expat in china will cost?

I am recently approached by an local healthcare MNC to join one of their facility in China.

What is the likely salary increment i should be looking at? Is 25% to 30% reasonable? How about other perks of being an expat in china?
First things first, are you there as on expat or local T&C? What level and current salary are you at now?

Most global MNCs expat total package including all the perks and allowances for whole family should be at least 2-3x what you are getting now.

If you need to "negotiate" for a 25% increase then you are not an expat, but a foreigner hired to work in China on local package. China itself has hundreds of cities and living standards will defer widely depending on location and the lifestyle level expected of your rank.

Most companies these days only grant full expat packages to middle managers & above (i.e. appx at least S$300k basic salary) or else those with very special skills not found in the foreign country. If you are not at that level, most likely they will just offer you normal basic + general allowance without expat perks.