Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 24-03-2018, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Umm? Just curious what is your class of honours? 2.8k seems really low for the basic pay esp for a NUS grad. I had companies who offered me that range but I rejected all of them. Eventually, I manged to find a job which offers about 3.5k range? But I'm still waiting for them to call me down to sign the contract. I'm a fresh grad from EE nus btw. The pay scale for EE and ME is about the same since they lump us tgt as m&e usually so you can roughly gauge the differences.

The problem with project engineers is that it's not truly a technical job and you're not really learning to be a proper engineer. It's more of project management and there are no needs for you to be a LEW or even PE in this route. I suggest you jump to m&e consultancy field if your intention is to become a LEW/PE in the future. The design aspect is very important for a PE field.
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm 2nd lower. my basic is 2.8k but I'm sort of "required" to work Saturday since this is construction work and Sat is considered OT. OT pay is ok i guess, after taken in allowances and OT, my pay roughly 3.4 to 3.5k. But i spend tons of hours at work

I agree with you on project engineers are not doing true engineering work. In order to become PE, one needs to have at least 2 yrs of exp under supervision of another PE so working for consultant is definitely a must I think. I've been doing some search but it seems like consultancy are not hiring? Anyway, I'm on a dilemma whether I should make the switch. Project management seems to have a potential to grow as I go further in this career path but managing work just bore the hell out of me, feeling like all the technical stuff i learnt in NUS is wasted.