Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Relocating to Singapore with 7XXX/month ?
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2018, 10:50 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexshr View Post
Hi Paxie,

Thank you for the very detailed breakdown. Also, thank you for pointing out the bits that I missed in my initial research:

Here are the list of things that are likely to remain same throughout every month. Other than that some household expense, utilities might fluctuate.

1) Rent : HBD 2500 - 3000
2) Electricity : 220
3) Meal : 40 * 30 = 1200
4) internet : 75
6) telephone, phone bills : 40 * 2 = 80
7) Transportation : 150 (public)
8) Household : 200
9) Wife outfit : 500 (optional)

= (7XXX - tax)-(3000 + 220 + 1200 + 75 + 80 + 150 + 200 + 500)

Given that I also have to send money back home to support my family, it looks like I won't be able to save enough for myself.

Is there any other things that I need to worry about other than the things listed above ?

@unregistered

No hard feelings, I completely understand you. I pity myself that I have to leave my own country for newer opportunities. It's a very hard choice to make but at the end of the day, we all have to meet our daily needs. You can imagine living as expat where you won't be able to enjoy the privileges that we all enjoy back home.

Thank you,
Alex
Hi Alex,

Ignore that idiot.

Anyway, some of your numbers seem a tad off. Mobile phone bills would at least be SGD60 each (assuming both you and your partner are going for a standard data plan);

Electricity might not be that high, SGD150 - 180 / month for two, assuming you guys don't turn on your water heater and AC unit the 3/4 of the day...

Household = 200.. this seems way understated. I'm not sure what would be both of your lifestyles like.. but assuming your wife is going to cook 3/4 of the week and taking care of the household.. realistically, the figure will more be around 500/month at least (food, cooking stuffs, cleaning, general household supplies, etc.)

Meal = 40/day for two? You may want to elaborate more? Breakfast, lunch or dinner? What is your preference? Cost for eating out in SG varies wildly. Locals / asians would eat out at foodcourts / hawker centres (google them - there is where the good stuffs are).. but i know for a fact most Caucasians (female generally) don't like those places... smelly(?), hot, noisy, etc.

Lastly, do you know where is your office at or any preferred area you want to stay at? Your monthly cost of upkeep is also critically dependent on these two factors. If you stay in a 'posh' area, do expect the cost of amenities nearby to be expensive. If you stay in the 'heartland' area as with 70% of people, for the same amenities you can perhaps halve the cost compared to the former.