Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2018, 11:21 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Wow so all those top students on the part b commendation list can be prepared to be f-ed by their colleagues?

to all potential kway teows out there: i know we seniors can be intimidating on fb. i apologise if my tone was harsh on my fb post. perhaps i should clarify. i am annoyed only with those that are hiding behind anonymity because they are competitive and are doing it for bell curve reasons, which i know is a thing. if that is not you, then i am not disappointed in you.

personally i have no quarrel with people who are posting as kway teow because they are shy. this is, after all, a mini overheard, and people are judgy. it is this judgmental culture that i am instead upset about.

so don't be shy, just use your real name to ask questions. if you get judged for asking about mods, the problem does not lie with you. and yes, if you are still terrified, just go ahead and post as kway teow. as long as you are careful, it's impossible to figure out who you are.

ASKING FOR MUGGERS AS KWAY TEOW
as for asking for muggers, in an ideal world, all info will be freely shared. but since this is not an ideal world, make friends and learn to network, just like the real world outside law school. spend some effort finding out who has taken the module before (scroll down this thread and see who has responded, if nobody has, ask your friends. if you don't have any, you may find this is not the right profession for you) and ask them directly.

while it may not have been the intention, an anonymous open jio ("hey who has the latest xxx muggers") just comes off as lazy and entitled: you get to enjoy anonymity, whereas any generous senior will have to take the initiative to stand up and help you, while himself/herself potentially getting inundated with mugger requests. i think people are in general more accepting of people who ask as themselves. i will usually contact them by PM if i know where to get those muggers (mainly cos i don't want to get inundated with requests).

most importantly, when you ask, do so *humbly* and *sincerely*. most people i know are willing to share if you are on friendly terms, and ask nicely (again, this is where some social skills play a role. someone who makes an effort to be friendly will have more success here).

this muggers thing is really sensitive and is a bit of a black art, and as i said in an ideal world this won't be the case, but because this isn't an ideal world, learn the unwritten rules, make friends and be resourceful. these same skills will serve you well in practice.