Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - PhD or non-PhD
Thread: PhD or non-PhD
View Single Post
Old 30-01-2018, 02:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaBha View Post
Thanks a lot.
I understand PhD is a stressful period in life. I wish to get into this willingly. I also understand Post-doc positions are not permanent and grant based. I just wonder is this grueling period of 5 yrs for phd + 2 yrs of post doc will help me stand a lucrative opportunities in future in pharma/ biotech industry, preferably in Singapore or anywhere in the world.
Or if I don't go for PhD and get a Jr level job right away, would it pay me more after 6-7 years than what I could fetch with PhD?
PhD holder here.

anyway cant your masters get you a career in the industry u like right now? then why did you take your masters for? masters for 1 year only, right? anyway if your masters is just going to get a Jr level job... hmm... suggest for you to really think through your entire career and education track... and not waste your time if all you want is high position and high pay.

go and have a check at your preferred career and their job descriptions and see if they require a PhD at all. from what i see... u hold no private industry experience. mainly only academics or research. 4 years in NUS as a ???, currently a masters-holder, and considering PHD. by the time, you graduate from PhD, what are you considering?

Is PHD recognised in the industry you would like to work at? most probably their job description will be --> "at least a honours degree, masters or PHD have an added advantage"

anyway what PhD field are you looking at?

go have a chitchat with the professor (your preferred PhD supervisor) you want to work with and have a chat with his group members (current and ex PhD students) and go find out where are they working at. Is that your dream career? and do they have trouble looking for job and which field are they looking at.

anyway by the time you complete your PhD, it is going to be at least 3-4 years down the road. make sure your field is still relevant and competitive where private industries and also research or academic are highly looking for.