Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Being ruthless to be rich
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2018, 06:59 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yup I don't get these people. Why suffer for 25 years just to build a portfolio of $2 million? What do you get in the end?
What is the alternative then?

My wife and I "suffered" over 32 years slogging at work and built up a networth close to $7M.

As we are very conservative in investment, we didnt touch our CPF monies and just let it grow. And we were pleasantly surprised when we saw that our combined total interest from our CPF for 2017 was a cool $70k. $40k was from my CPF and $30k from my wife's.

Our investment in only blue chip shares also netted us a dividend income of $53k last year (lower than the year before). We dont do trading, we just held the shares we bought and accumulate whenever we have spare cash.

The rental market has softened, but we were still able to secure a new tenant in 2017 netting us $37k in gross takings.

All in, a total of $160k in passive income for 2017. And this was only possible because we were prepared to "suffer" for years working our lives away. We are very old school, so we didnt know any other way than to "suffer" working to secure a better life for ourselves and our children's future.

We tried buying toto but that didnt work out for us.