Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Am i being underpaid
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 08:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffster View Post
Hi fellow users of salary.sg forums

After graduating from a local polytechnic and completing my national service.
I got a job in one of the private companies. With a take home pay of $1200.
May i get some advice on the type of salary range i should be getting? Personally, i feel its too low. They company told me it's because of inexperience.
I have been working and slogging it out for the past 5 months, doing accounting and also going all the way to HR and administrative tasks.

Kindly please give me some advices for me, so that I have some idea of what i should do next.

Thank you
is salary very important to you at this moment? if the company you are working in can provide the appropriate training and you are happy working there... stay on while looking for avenues to upgrade yourself first...

say for e.g. a part time degree (night classes). once you have sufficient working experience (at least a good 1-2years of grinding) and done / almost done with your studies... start looking for a job elsewhere... if you are into accountancy, try applying for mid-tier firms and see if you can land a spot...

a little background about me, i graduated from ITE (electronics engineering) with a lousy GPA (1.xx / 4.0). After which, I served 2 years of NS, came out. 1st job paid me S$1,400 gross in January 2011. I clinged on, went through the route I described earlier, am a "happy" chartered accountant of singapore.

I draw a decent pay and is 2years ahead of my peers in the same industry (be it mid-tier or big4 firms). Reason? Luck and Opportunity plays a big part too.... but first, get yourself in shape by upgrading first.