Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 15-03-2011, 08:31 PM

blackswan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi Blackswan,

I totally agree with your view on this. I guess we all have our own personal preferences as to the sort of environment we would want to work in. I have done IA (industrial attachment) in Exxon during my undergrad studies, and that experience was enough to tell me that THAT is not my cup of tea. No doubt the money is good and the bonuses are crazy, but from what I observe, the engineers are made to work for extended hours and the daily work do get kind of routine. Only occasionally will there be exciting episodes in their career, such as during plant start-ups and shut downs. Other than that it is rather routine. Of course there may be those who may contest my views on this, but then again everyone's entitled to an opinion right?

Similar to you, I am also a 2nd Upper Chem Engrg graduate from a local uni graduated in 2009.
Following that, I pursued for my MSc in Chem Eng overseas, which I decided to go for since it was an all-expenses paid, with monthly stipends and bond-free Scholarship.
Now I am back in Sg and soon joining a Stat Board. Have been offered a position but have yet to receive my salary package from HR.

I wonder if someone could tell me what I should be offered by the stat board, given my educational backgrd. Or at least, what is the range? This is so that I will know if I should negotiate or accept/reject the offer. I also heard that recently, there had been some positive revisions to the starting pay for public and civil service. Is this true?

Any input is much appreciated.
hi "totally agree..." , good to hear someone thinking same as me.
I did my IA at exxon too .. but i was at harborfront the regional hq office doing mainly commercial stuff but with some technical work. And how late r the engineers made to work at ur side? speaking of bonuses , i heard exxon bonuses r fixed at 3 mths .

for ur qn, it really depends on which stat board... u might want to disclose the name or the name of its parent ministry.

the Msc is likely to be counted as 1yr of work (assuming u did 1 yr masters from 2009-2010)

so there will be a 2nd upper pay + 1 yr increment
i guess would be ard 3600-3700 (assume u did NS)