Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 15-03-2011, 02:58 PM
Unregistered

Default Totally agree with Blackswan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan View Post
i do not like the idea of wearing coverall inspecting the petrochemical plants in jurong island , in fact i dont really like hardcore engineering, reading P& ID etc.
I am ok with a bit of technical stuff but i am more interested in the commercial aspects or interplay of technical and commerical aspects in oil/gas industry, however do not have opportunity. Just nice a stat board offered me within 24 hrs of interviewing me so i accepted.
Hi Blackswan,

I totally agree with your view on this. I guess we all have our own personal preferences as to the sort of environment we would want to work in. I have done IA (industrial attachment) in Exxon during my undergrad studies, and that experience was enough to tell me that THAT is not my cup of tea. No doubt the money is good and the bonuses are crazy, but from what I observe, the engineers are made to work for extended hours and the daily work do get kind of routine. Only occasionally will there be exciting episodes in their career, such as during plant start-ups and shut downs. Other than that it is rather routine. Of course there may be those who may contest my views on this, but then again everyone's entitled to an opinion right?

Similar to you, I am also a 2nd Upper Chem Engrg graduate from a local uni graduated in 2009.
Following that, I pursued for my MSc in Chem Eng overseas, which I decided to go for since it was an all-expenses paid, with monthly stipends and bond-free Scholarship.
Now I am back in Sg and soon joining a Stat Board. Have been offered a position but have yet to receive my salary package from HR.

I wonder if someone could tell me what I should be offered by the stat board, given my educational backgrd. Or at least, what is the range? This is so that I will know if I should negotiate or accept/reject the offer. I also heard that recently, there had been some positive revisions to the starting pay for public and civil service. Is this true?

Any input is much appreciated.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app