Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 16-11-2017, 10:03 AM
Unregistered

Many people argue about when to retire. I had no choice but to force myself to retire at the age of 50 due to poor health. I have various ailments which are life threatening.

After quitting my high paying job, I decided to downgrade from my huge landed property and settled in a smaller but comfortable three bedroom brand new condominium unit. In the process I have no more mortgage to worry about. I was also able to invest in income generating assets which gives me good passive income. I am very fortunate that the landed property was sold at a high price and I made a big profit. I was indeed lucky because I bought the landed property when it was cheap many years ago.

Now I am focusing on getting my health back in order. I spend a lot of time in meditation, in therapy and exercising. I also changed my diet. This diet would be impossible for me to maintain if I had continued working in the corporate world.

High stress, lack of sleep, bad eating habits, long working hours and frequent travel were killing me.

I got lucky. It was a close call.

It suddenly dawned upon me that I had taken my health for granted. Only when I got hit with life threatening diseases that I realized my priorities were all wrong. I thought earning a fortune, living in a huge landed property, driving a big continental luxury sedan, expensive vacations, etc will make me happy. I was terribly wrong. All these are of no use if I am dying.

The saying "health is wealth" is so true. I am now healthier and definitely happier. This is what matters most. I hope I can live a longer life.