Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - should I change my job?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2017, 12:40 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaboi123 View Post
Hi Lesmisrable,

Although I am not in the education industry or field. I would have to agree with the comments of some of the other individuals mentioned in this forums, regarding pay cut and starting everything from scratch.

Back then, didn't it ever cross your mind that something like this would have occurred - or you will be caught in this situation or scenario? Since that you have mentioned that you have been in the education industry for more than 10 years.

One of the comments that I can add is that - because of the pay structure that we pay to our graduates across the industry and board means that our opportunity cost is very high to begin with - be it in the private or public sector.

I can only add that you are not the only one who faced with this problem among those who worked in the public sector. And that the exit opportunities for those who are teaching in MOE can be quite limited - other than going into private and internationals schools or giving tuition.

The transition during the initial period can be very tough, especially when you have other commitment such as your children. Mind sharing how old are your kids?

Thanks
I have zero sympathy for all these civil servants facing their so called mid life crisis.

When they first left school, they got a relatively high basic salary, almost guaranteed bonuses (4-6 mths average performer), work life balance and job security compared to those in private sector that tend to start off with much worse condition.

Now after enjoying the good life and $$$ for decades then drama about supposed boring job and lack of career progression? What a joke.