Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Which degree is the best return on investment
View Single Post
Old 29-10-2017, 06:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagdaddypimpin View Post
I am planning to apply for a local U next year. Due to personal reasons, I will be paying for my own education either through a study loan or hopefully picking up a scholarship.

I have excellent results and can get a place in almost any degree course. Barring subject interest as I have no particular course preference, what degree will offer me the best ROI upon graduation and in the long-term. Money is a priority to me and I want to provide my family with a good life in the future.

From my knowledge, I've heard high finance (IB, trading) pays the most but the hours are one of the worst. The law market isn't doing very well and compsci grads are being replaced with foreign grads. Accountancy and engineering are pretty stable but the starting pay is relatively low. My parents have also advised me against going into arts although I wouldn't mind doing it provided it pays well.

Assuming I wish to get a job in investment banking, will a finance degree (biz) from a local U suffice? I have also heard stories of many finance grads going into property/insurance due to oversupply. The job market seems pretty depressing and I really hope to secure a good job in the future.
Psc oms, ideally qualify for PS too.
For Singapore context, it offers you the best chance of becoming govt linked organisation ceo. Which actually have very decent renumeration , at least 1 mil per year. Once becoming ceo, your performance can be pretty average, but pay is still good. Hence high roi.

The scholars farmer side is still true.