Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 18-10-2017, 07:27 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, i need some advice here.
I am graduating next year.
I wonder whether I should take bar and practice? Would it be waste if I dont?

I have a hard time finding a tc and the firm that offered me doesn't pay for my bar course, and its only $300 per month allowance for 6 months during training. Also the firm is not going to retain. So that leaves me another problem to solve a year down the road upon graduation again.

If I just start working, I can earn $3-4k per month.

My question is what opportunities can I get for a legal related role even I do not do part B + tc? Is being called to bar so important?

When I do not get retained, are other law firms keen to hire?
Is getting called to the bar important?

Yes, getting called to the bar is important. Go on a job search website and look up in-house positions. Almost all will require you to have been called to the bar.

Sure if you start working now you can earn 3-4k a month, but your progression will be slow and it will honestly be extremely difficult to negotiate an increase in salary thereafter.

Public Sector Legal Roles

Getting a legal role without any experience (even in public sector) is difficult and to be honest, I have yet to see a legal role in public sector that doesn't require you to have been called to the bar. What they do offer, though, is training for you to get called to the bar - this option is great because they tend to pay you full pay (you will be a legal officer and be able to rep the org in court). These job Ads will usually include a line which informs you that working exp with them counts towards the training requirements under the LPA. I've seen one for MOM in the past... but you'll still have to do part B.

I'm not going to be retained!

Worry less about retention rates and more about your abilities as a lawyer. Gain as much exposure as you can and learn as much as you can. My CV always had a list of cases i've assisted on and the contributions i've made in those cases. Its about how much you've done and how well you can market yourself.

I would even say that you're in a better position because you know for sure you won't be retained and can start looking for full time opportunities almost immediately after you start (well... give it 3 months). This means you won't be in a situation where your job search is dependent on when your employer decided to tell you if you will be retained.

Finally

Make a commitment and stick to it. You've already spent 4 years in law school. At this point, what is that one additional year?