Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 06:29 PM
Unregistered

Thks for the advice.
I am considering applying GLB/JD (SMU / UNISIM) next year. Hopefuly economic conditions will be good when I graduate in 4 years time and by then there will be a shortage of lawyers. Its just economic cycle right? However I will be 39 by then. I hope to switch to be a barrister on TV and argue in court.

What are the perceptions of GLB/JD people?
What about most of other GLB/JD?
What are their stories like?
Do they have problems getting TCs?
What are the law firms perception of them?
ARe they just older and so lack the drive and ambitions and also cannot be trained from scratch?
Any difference between GLB and JD candidate in terms of quality?
Can elaborate what does 'solid personally and professionally' mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassimTourneuil.Phenix View Post
Case study in NUS GLB: first degree in non-law, dean's lister for y2, landed TC with big 4 tier 1 very popular dept. Frankly i interned with him/her and i will say, even wo seeing his/her grades, he/she's rly solid personally and professionally. Assuming his/her grades are on par with my peers, if all were to go for a TC interview, he/she will be top of the shortlist.

I think for GLBs you need to ask the question: why did i not take law as first degree? You will succeed as a GLB if your answer is: "at that time, i was playing around and screwed up a levels. But i realised i'm a really determined and ambitious person who has strong drive, which emerged years into my first non-law job. I'm a late bloomer. and i feel under-utilised, underpaid, and underdeveloped my current job.

If you just think "i want more money" without some introspection, you'll regret the JD/GLB. Most people who talk about ROI see this as some stock you buy and just wait to generate returns. But good traders know that numbers are one thing, you gotta look into what you are investing in (yourself). All these figures are premised on fundamentals, and these can only be discovered by looking inward, not outward (other GLB success stories).