Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 06:23 PM
Unregistered

True, granted that is an inspiring story.

But how many people can afford the luxury to pick and choose without knowing what lies ahead. Even for the story, he/she also had to wait for the right opportune. Not many people in life have this luxury to wait out. We had to take what comes our way. We have bills to pay and mouths to feed at home.

And jumping from one firm to another would also mean each new stint is a new ball game. When you have a family to take care, how can you afford such uncertainty and embrace job insecurity.

I am also sure there are many others who just had to quit and their stories will never see the light of the day.

This is just survivour-bias form of story telling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NassimTourneuil.Phenix View Post
To those in this position, I have a story of encouragement.
Before that, in general i would say hold up and DO NOT settle for community law TCs. The experience will make it very hard to justify a jump to corporate practices when they open up. They will think, guy/girl A from a small firm did corp work, you did crim and family, who would learn faster in the opening i have?

Story time: trained in small firm doing niche-corp work, started as an assoc in another niche firm doing niche-corp focus and some general corp work, currently in big 4 niche-corp dept. I asked him/her abt it. He/she said that that big 4 firm, a senior assoc left and so happened an opening came up. Given his strong niche-corp background, he/she got it and moved in. One of the most inspiring small to big4 stories i have.