Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 11-10-2017, 02:11 PM

NassimTourneuil.Phenix is on a distinguished road

Based on talks with actual in house counsel, partners in big 4 and assocs, unless you are group general counsel APAC for a BB bank, in house is a one-way road.

Therefore, choose very carefully. I spoke to an in house counsel at a swiss private bank who brought his work to reservist. He said his main factor was family time and work-life balance. He asked me when i wanted to start a family. I said 30. He said adjust your expectations. a bit pessimistic (i know of under 30 males in big 4+x who are married some with kids) but you get the point, from his perspective at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From general observation, most General Counsels and Asst. General Counsels seem to have at least a couple years of private practice experience under their belt. I think it will take a lot longer (not impossible) to rise to that level without having some years of practice.

It is also difficult to return to practice now that you've left. So if your expectation is to return to practice as a partner of a Big 4, this ain't happening unless you have an extensive client list willing to back you.

Having said that, I think that the in-house landscape is on the cusp of a renewal of sorts. Indranee Rajah recently tossed around the idea of developing and regulating in-house talent in order to offer an attractive talent pool for foreign mncs. Though....I'm not too clear if this is a superficial measure undertaken in response to the glut of lawyers or if this is a genuine effort on the part of the govt to develop said talent pool.

Oh wells, only time will tell i guess!