Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Been trying very hard to improve my career, but I feel stuck
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2017, 10:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWater View Post
I'll try not to write a wall of text.

Have a BA in International Relations from the US. Went for exchange program in LSE and had internships in London and Singapore.

Gave up on working in Washington and came back to Singapore because Mom had cancer in 2015, and ended up working E-Commerce in a local hotel chain since 2016.

The pay is low at $2,250, workload is relatively easy when I can operate Excel and other data crunching software with my eyes closed. When I first came to this company, I knew nothing about hospitality and took the trouble of earning a Cert from Cornell University to learn industry best practices, but it was a double-edged sword. On one hand I have a pretty good understanding of how to anticipate demand and set prices appropriately, but on the other hand it opened my eyes to how inept, ignorant and clumsy my managers approach things. Worse still, I think my immediate boss is threatened by me and keeps me in the dark about a lot of things, and locks my access to a lot of functions which my co-workers have access to.

I'm pretty good at what I do now, and over the past 14 months I spearheaded revamp of our websites and scouted a vendor for Chinese mobile payments, negotiated the contract and deployed it. But no potential employer seems interested in me. I've already burned so many days off for interviews but I keep on getting rejected or silence.

Not sure what I should do next. I do everything I can, write follow-up emails or make follow-up calls, spend hours preparing for interviews but it all results in nothing. Is the job market really this awful, or is it just me?
The job market isnt good, but by right with your current pay, somemore got good degree and internship should get something. Maybe you need to improve your social skills during interview. Reading your story come across as quite arrogant and tendency to condemn others. EQ & teamwork more impt than IQ in work. My 2c, no offence intended.