Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Worked for years, good appraisals until new boss took over (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/9985-worked-years-good-appraisals-until-new-boss-took-over.html)

Brats 11-12-2017 07:11 PM

Worked for years, good appraisals until new boss took over

anyone had this situation before?

you had good appraisals for years, got promoted a few times
but then your boss quit, and so did all the other countersigning officers.

Then your new boss and countersigning officer are new. and right after they take over, you suddenly get poor and below average performance grades. The first time you get a below average.

Is there any way we can request for a re-look at the appraisal? Does top management or HR take note of sudden changes like these and ask why? ANy HR people can comment?

Unregistered 11-12-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brats (Post 103065)

Then your new boss and countersigning officer are new. and right after they take over, you suddenly get poor and below average performance grades. The first time you get a below average.

Is there any way we can request for a re-look at the appraisal? Does top management or HR take note of sudden changes like these and ask why? ANy HR people can comment?

so you're that loser. gO **** YOURSELF

Unregistered 11-12-2017 08:21 PM

Quote:

You are only as strong as your boss. U are the apple of your ex boss. But new boss has new Fav apples. When ur boss quits, it signals the times for u to leave too. Season has changed. You either

1. boot lick ur new boss and countersigning officer and hope for the best
2. Continue insisting that your old boss is better qualified, argue with hr and piss off ur new boss and eventually get kicked out of the company
3. Leave the company on your own accord.

The dynasty has changed. Hr won't listen to u. The reality of politics make u get good appraisals those few years, but your backer has departed.
If you are truly capable, do good quality work, I would suggest option 3. If you are mediocre, I suggest option one.

Unregistered 11-12-2017 09:07 PM

Not say we want to be cynical or what, but you have been biitching about your company, boss and colleagues since last year on this forum.

If you are a well sought after professional in the market, you would have been head hunted long time ago. Since you are pretty much stuck either you learn to boot lick like above poster suggest and try to be a team player with your colleagues or suck thumb and keep quiet.

Ranting online or hoping for HR to help you fight against your boss and department colleagues is teenage fantasy. You are too old for that.

Unregistered 12-12-2017 04:50 PM

Quote:

You need to understand it is not just junior executive that is subjected to boss appraisal. Even ceos are liable to the winds of change. My group ceo just left, and the new incoming group ceo has a different idea. Now my ceo who has to report to the group ceo is having cold sweat.

Even at the higher echoleons of politics, like change in pm wil result in new ministers. When a new king ascend the throne, there will be new subjects.

May2018 13-02-2018 12:36 AM

Quote:

No one mentioned that "suddenly get poor and below average performance grades" is a direction from management to cut cost. It happens. I once overheard my boss tele conversation with HQ asking her to cut cost. Is open cubicle near midnight, she did not expect me to be in office working. I left the office once I heard is something confidential.
From then, cutting employees above 40 serves as one of unsaid goal of managers' annual appraisal to their promotions. Mainly cuts are targeted on Singaporeans.

I encountered 90% of what you been through. Gotten "suddenly get poor and below average performance grades". My boss was much evil than yours.

Disclaimed of untrue matters in my appraisal for 5 years by my new boss after 3rd year fighting her empire for her.

New boss stacked another manager on top of me = downgraded me indirectly.

She signed off one of my appraisal that she agreed. A target goal to come up 10 new initiatives to be met for the coming year. When target is not met, she has the right to put me into a performance review and out I go.
When a Performance Review kicks in, management has the final say. Normally employees will be asked to self resignation or company will label you as "not performing" and ask you to leave. I raised voice that even the company do not have 10 projects budgeted in a year. She turned and said is too much for the manager to set that but she forgotten she actually approved that in the system before the manager spoke to me.

My new boss put an idea across those young teammates, they get to the chance to promote only I leave the team. What comes next is, they purposely leave me out of meetings and discussions, omit me from information sharing.

Upgrading of new system that impacts my daily tasks, my new boss tells me not to worry there is no changes. I beg for informations behind my new boss's back. A totally revamp of system logics that can cost company millions of losses with no proper understanding how the new logics works.
The new boss spilled her own beans that she knew I went begging for information that she omit me. That's where I knew HR must have saw my chats begging for informations from other teams and questioned her during investigations.

Throw me problems to tidy and hand it over to another person to follow up.

Answer to your questions based on the "wars" I been through.

Is there any way we can request for a re-look at the appraisal?
Ans : You can but you have to be prepare to lose the job. HR works for the company not employees. They can easily point fingers at you as the trouble maker, not cooperative. HR may also take in all negatives feedback they get against you to get rid of you especially is a HQ directions to cut cost. This also means you make yourself an easy target for your countersigning officer.
HR and Whistleblower team investigate only when the wrong doings of the employees jeopardize the company's reputation and pockets. Other wrong doings, the one favor by management wins the game.

Does top management or HR take note of sudden changes like these and ask why? Any HR people can comment?
Ans : No. They don't unless you raise the matters. I did not realize such funny things till it happen to me nor it occurs to me there are employees do such tricks to their management to get promotion.

Not my initial intentions. 2 times I fought back I gotten a good pay raise to shut my mouth to MOM despite of deliberately mark down of my performance.

1st time was when my boss disclaimed me in my appraisal. I send an email to her boss informing that and why my boss was doing that to me. Something personal she is getting back at me on. I have all the evidences collected and proven in the email.

2nd time, I became a bull eye target by my teammates who are so sure that I will lose my job when the big bully is back from his Xmas holiday. They complained me to HR. I managed to turn the table around by dropping hints to HR what if the whole thing is a gang bully against me. The same time, I also raised to HR in a "mild" manner of my years of disclaimed by my boss. After all, HR looked for me and I did not go to them. That buy me sometime to get out of the company on my own record.

Then I was realize my boss once threaten her boss to either gives her a manager position or she will move out to the other department who is able to offer the post. Knowing the management likes her. Her boss forces another manager to give up half of her role to my boss.
The truth was she do not have the relevant experience in the department that offers her the manager post. She knew she fail if she moves over.

Personally seen 2 different bosses in different MNCs uses the same trick and manage to get what they want.

Look out for trends if the same is happening in other departments.

Some may say I am crazy, is something I have tested.
MNCs normally has annual survey by a 3rd party company to get employees to feedback. They will tell you those surveys submitted are non trackable. The fact is company can track if they want and they do track who send negative feedbacks. In my ex company, one who send negative feedbacks get blacklisted for good.

Is always good to have a work diary in your mobile or personal laptop. Somewhere the company cannot track. Note down date, time stamp, events and colleagues involves in the events. All these comes in helpful somehow to trace/ recall when you need to. It also have your boss realize you are not someone easily bully. The day I left, all evidences - Dates, time stamps of how the bullies has abuse the company's regulations in term of monetary and personal benefits, VP covers up for my boss's wrong doings, how she disclaimed me, how she protected those she favor even she knew their wrongs etc submitted in the 3rd party survey comments column. No companies like dirty laundry to be wash in public after all is a 3rd party survey, the only way to have HQ aware of things happen on the other side of the world. What actions they takes is not going to be my problem after I leave the company. One thing for sure, some investigations will be done backend by HQ against all the internal chats and emails communications.

Take care. Time to leave for next company.

misa9x 17-05-2023 05:13 PM

Quote:

Then your new boss and countersigning officer are new. and right after they take over, you suddenly get poor and below average performance grades. The first time you get a below average. incredibox

Experiencing a sudden change in performance appraisals after a change in management can be a frustrating and concerning situation. While I can provide some general guidance, it's important to note that specific HR policies and practices can vary across organizations.

noblekeon 25-08-2023 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misa9x (Post 248450)
Experiencing a sudden change in performance appraisals after a change in management can be a frustrating and concerning situation. While I can provide some general guidance, it's important to note that specific HR policies and practices can vary across organizations.

thank you so much

Unregistered 25-08-2023 09:28 AM

Lol, typical inner circle member that was abandoned after big boss leave.

All i can say is gain new skills to keep yourself valuable in the market, so u can leave whenever u want.

The new king wants u out, if u can't take the abuse, get out.

noblekeon 28-08-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by misa9x (Post 248450)

It's irritating and worrisome when your performance reviews suddenly shift after a change in leadership. It's important to note that while I can provide some broad guidelines, HR policies and procedures might differ from company to company.