Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Sacked during probation?

Old 25-10-2014, 12:58 PM

ragnarox13 is on a distinguished road
Default Sacked during probation?

Hi dear forumers,

I was previously employed by an local mnc as an accounts personnel.

I was told to leave during my 3 months probation with the following reasons provided by my employer:

1) Not answering questions quick enough. My employer commented that I took too long to think of the answers to her questions. (My own personal thought here is that I am still new to what I am learning and thus needed time to rehearse my thoughts in case I said the wrong things)

2) Making typo mistakes on numbers in a record sheet that was used for reconciliation purpose everyday. My employer commented that she could not withstand such small mistakes and that it is very important to keep accuracy to a high standards at all times.

As I am still considered a fresh graduate with no working experience. May I know if the above reasons are reasonable enough? I wouldnt comment on other aspects of the job etc. Just like to have some comments / feedback on the above. Thanks!

Old 25-10-2014, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

sorry to hear that. these reasons are valid. they should be more forgiving. perhaps the typo mistake is rather serious if auditors come across this, or critical items don't add up.

i was in the same situation as yours, so you need to do something about accuracy and learning fast. learn to double check and make a mark, it's ok to go a bit slower for better accuracy.

if you really want to keep your job, the only thing you can do now is to talk to your employer maybe for the last time, apologize and tell them what steps you plan to take to avoid the stated situation. assure them it takes time for you to perform up to standard or even offer to extend probation to 6 months. good luck.

Old 25-10-2014, 04:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarox13 View Post
Hi dear forumers,

I was told to leave during my 3 months probation with the following reasons provided by my employer:

1) Not answering questions quick enough. My employer commented that I took too long to think of the answers to her questions. (My own personal thought here is that I am still new to what I am learning and thus needed time to rehearse my thoughts in case I said the wrong things)

2) Making typo mistakes on numbers in a record sheet that was used for reconciliation purpose everyday. My employer commented that she could not withstand such small mistakes and that it is very important to keep accuracy to a high standards at all times.

As I am still considered a fresh graduate with no working experience. May I know if the above reasons are reasonable enough? I wouldnt comment on other aspects of the job etc. Just like to have some comments / feedback on the above. Thanks!
your employers are well within their rights to terminate your services during your probation period... that's what a probation period is for.

hope you learn from your experiences and all the best for the next job!

Old 25-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Millionaire Member

Hermit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarox13 View Post
Hi dear forumers,

That is what the probation period is for - to find out if there is a match between you and employer.

So in this case, there is a mismatch. Just move on.

But you would need to find out if you are cut out for this position. Or if it is just this particular employer that set its standards too high.
Old 25-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Unregistered

Check, re-check, and check again. Typo are sloppy mistakes especially if they are recurring.
Old 25-10-2014, 05:51 PM
Unregistered

Bad luck. Try again

Old 25-10-2014, 09:37 PM

Petra is on a distinguished road

I am sorry to hear that but yes they do have the right to ask you to leave during the probation period if you are not performing well. Although you are a fresh grad without no relevant exp if your employer thinks you cannot make it, she/he can ask you to leave.

Not all employer are understanding enough to know that you are a fresh grad and to add on, there are plently of fresh grads ard for them to pick.

Hope you can learn from this exp and do not include this stint in your resume and all the best.
Old 25-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Unregistered

Seems a tad too harsh. but well, they do have valid reasons.

You should be more careful in everything you do. Since you are in accountancy field, you must know one of the top qualities companies look for is 'meticulous'. Mistakes like what you had made should not be made twice. If you are not a meticulous person by nature, train to be one. If you find it too difficult, perhaps you can go for jobs in finance instead of accts. Go think about what you really want or interested in.

Repetitive mistakes wont reflect good on you and will only make pple think u v bo chap and lazy. Perhaps you should have put in more effort?

Anyway, first job for most pple is adjustment period and tough to get by. Dont give up if it's really what you want!
Old 26-10-2014, 11:08 AM
Unregistered

you might wanna think about leaving this off your resume when you're searching for another job.

since it's only 3 months and you're otherwise a fresh graduate you can explain it away quite easily saying you went travelling etc.
Old 27-10-2014, 12:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you might wanna think about leaving this off your resume when you're searching for another job.

since it's only 3 months and you're otherwise a fresh graduate you can explain it away quite easily saying you went travelling etc.
yeah, they have the right to terminate u as long as the notice period was given. so i also suggest u just leave this information out of your resume since it is not exactly long.

learn from your mistakes and perform better next time.