Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Pharmacist

Old 08-05-2013, 02:40 AM
jack

Default US Pharmacy

US pharmacists are the highest paid in the world.Here in california the average
salary is US120K/year..works out to be 10K/month.
But with current economic climate, good jobs (favorable hours, work conditions etc) are
harder to come by.
If someone is thinking of pursuing pharmacy, I would think getting an MBA as well as the Pharm.D would be well worth the extra year.Only a few Universities offer such
a dual program (Univ.so.Calif is one).
Whereas the focus of education in Asia tend to be more of a paper chase, getting
a well-rounded one will increase greatly one's potential (reason why an MBA would be
good).Pharmacist's pay tend to hit the ceiling in most cases for those in the retail or hospital setting. Working with an MBA can potentially break that ceiling in a very
lucrative career.

Old 19-11-2013, 11:58 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
US pharmacists are the highest paid in the world.Here in california the average
salary is US120K/year..works out to be 10K/month.
But with current economic climate, good jobs (favorable hours, work conditions etc) are
harder to come by.
If someone is thinking of pursuing pharmacy, I would think getting an MBA as well as the Pharm.D would be well worth the extra year.Only a few Universities offer such
a dual program (Univ.so.Calif is one).
Whereas the focus of education in Asia tend to be more of a paper chase, getting
a well-rounded one will increase greatly one's potential (reason why an MBA would be
good).Pharmacist's pay tend to hit the ceiling in most cases for those in the retail or hospital setting. Working with an MBA can potentially break that ceiling in a very
lucrative career.
In Malaysia, the average is MYR 66000 in private sector. But if you hv more than 7 yrs experience and is really good then you can earn about MYR 100K ++
I hospital setting, experienced pharmacist earned around MYR 96000.
If one want to make money then either open your own pharmacy or choose the right employer.
I earned around MYR 96000 to MYR 110K annually.
And I was promoted to a position with a promise income from MYR 100K to MYR 120K.
But I quit this year.
Because life is not all about money.
People called me crazy for leaving those to pursue my dream.
Yes. I am.

Old 20-11-2013, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

pharmacist seems to be paying quite low for a course which is so difficult to get into...

Old 20-11-2013, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
pharmacist seems to be paying quite low for a course which is so difficult to get into...
On the other hand, the other medical related programme, dentistry, actually turns out to be a blessing in disguise for many triple science students who had aspired to become doctors but only managed to get into dentistry.
Old 23-06-2014, 07:47 PM
Unregistered

Post hai mam

Quote:
Originally Posted by sophistic View Post
My age: 28
Current location: Malaysia

Current Job: Pharmacist (Hospital)
Current pay: Around RM 4700

I am being offered S$3450 plus S$600 housing subsidy as a hospital pharmacist.
Including S$1000 relocation benefit.
I have more than 3 years of working experience.

Is it worth it to cross the causeway?
hello mam am divya from chennai. my mom have 7 yrs experience in pharmacy how much salary she will get in abroad
Old 12-11-2014, 12:29 AM
Newbie pharmacist

Unhappy

I am trained and registered in UK. So only one year working experience. Am currently looking for new positions. But reading the posts, scouring webpages, general comments from colleagues. I feel this career is slowly getting under. Prob because of the dispensing rights is with the doctor. Sad.

Sigh, just ranting here. Got to here looking for the annual salary for pharmacist in Singapore for my application. I thought working in hospital I could get more training in regards to professional knowledge and widen my experience. Been working in the community sector since undergrad days. The money may be lucrative if you have good business sense, but its just not me.

Pharmacist is an okay profession. I just wouldnt advise anyone to study it anymore due to the current influx in ALL countries (maybe not Singapore, dunno) except if you somehow like medicines.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newbie pharmacist View Post
I am trained and registered in UK. So only one year working experience. Am currently looking for new positions. But reading the posts, scouring webpages, general comments from colleagues. I feel this career is slowly getting under. Prob because of the dispensing rights is with the doctor. Sad.

Sigh, just ranting here. Got to here looking for the annual salary for pharmacist in Singapore for my application. I thought working in hospital I could get more training in regards to professional knowledge and widen my experience. Been working in the community sector since undergrad days. The money may be lucrative if you have good business sense, but its just not me.

Pharmacist is an okay profession. I just wouldnt advise anyone to study it anymore due to the current influx in ALL countries (maybe not Singapore, dunno) except if you somehow like medicines.
Pharmacist pay is quite pathetic in Singapore. An entry level clinical pharmacist with Sing Health is now paid 3.2k with AWS and maybe 2 mths PB in total only 48k annual.

Don't even mention the usual high payers like Oil and Gas or Banking, even the smaller MNCs or the public sector pays better annual package for business grads.
Old 24-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Unregistered

Default A Singaporean perspective as a US pharmD student

Hi everyone, I've seen some of the interesting comment comparing SG pharmacist with U.S pharmacist. Getting into a US pharmacy school school is not easy. One has to have a very good GPA record as well as PCAT (Pharmacy College Admission Test) score. The reason I chose to study pharm D in the U.S mostly due to the high salary U.S pay their pharmacist on average ( 100K/yr). Most state college do not accept Foreign students as easily as local U.S students. As a result, foreign students in the U.S tends to apply to a private University. Studies in a pharmacy school is tedious and stressful depending on the pharmacy college. Most pharmacy college in the U.S runs a 4 years curriculum; however, there are some that runs on 3. I am in a 3 years accelerated Pharm D program in the State of Arizona. I have to study day and night , more than 10 hours each day of self studying to prepare for weekly exams. Each week I covered about 12 lectures. On some other weeks , I can cover up t 15 lectures + patient medication counselling, and presentation in class. Overall, the pharm D cirriculum is "crazy" ,but at the end of the day, it is worth it. In no time, I am will be earning much higher salary than the Pharmacist in Singapore.
Old 25-11-2014, 03:27 PM

melissa is on a distinguished road
Smile Salary pharmacy technician

Hi,
I'm a recent fresh graduate in Malaysia and studying Biomedical Science (Degree with Honours). May I know how much is the salary for pharmacy technician/ assistant particularly in hospital-based such as SGH, Tan Tock Seng Hospital etc. ? Is it worth for me as I need to pay room rental, food, transport etc.

Thanks.
Old 26-02-2015, 10:32 AM

summwater is on a distinguished road

Hi everyone

After reading this thread, it seems that people don't recommend studying pharmacy in SG.

May I know if the prospects are better nowadays?