Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 28-03-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64661)
my personal take is that since you prefer the ministry job, and because they have already given you a verbal offer, it should be fairly secure.

if you were to take up the sme job, when would your first day be? because you could easily not show up for the first day if the ministry confirms your job before that. if you started work at the sme and resign, be aware of the notice period.

what is the difference in salary offers between the above mentioned sme and the ministry? is your hubby able to provide some financial support during your current unemployment?

The SME company was hoping for me to start on Mon, but i decided not to because it is just irresponsible to leverage on a month's salary and tarnished my own reputation, somemore this company is an external contractor always hired by the ministries and stat boards.

My hubb can still provide but of course finances will be very tight... Salary is actually very similar, just $50 diff, bonus wise ministry is better...

Unregistered 28-03-2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64672)
The SME company was hoping for me to start on Mon, but i decided not to because it is just irresponsible to leverage on a month's salary and tarnished my own reputation, somemore this company is an external contractor always hired by the ministries and stat boards.

My hubb can still provide but of course finances will be very tight... Salary is actually very similar, just $50 diff, bonus wise ministry is better...

Actually most importantly to add on, i feel that working within the ministry makes you more of a trustworthy person than not. As cliche as it sounds, i feel integrity is important and many companies dont follow a specific sets of work conduct and ethics. I still prefer to b a civil servant and be part of nation building. No doubt it will take time but i have decided to wait :)

Unregistered 30-03-2015 06:46 PM

Advice needed

Hi,

I need some advice here.

I am currently in the private sector drawing around 8k/month. I have been sending my resumes to ministries and stat boards applying for positions ranging from senior manager to DD but to no avail.

I only have a pass science degree from nus 10 years ago, with mediocre a and o levels.

Can anyone advise what probably is the problem here?

Is it my qualification or my current salary?

Unregistered 30-03-2015 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64707)
Hi,

I need some advice here.

I am currently in the private sector drawing around 8k/month. I have been sending my resumes to ministries and stat boards applying for positions ranging from senior manager to DD but to no avail.

I only have a pass science degree from nus 10 years ago, with mediocre a and o levels.

Can anyone advise what probably is the problem here?

Is it my qualification or my current salary?

Ministries and majority of stat boards prefer good education qualifications. A pass degree and mediocre A and O level results means that chances are slim.

Secondly, you have quite a decent pay in the private sector. You would be around 34-35 years now. The ministry/stat board generally looks at the basic or the gross pay when deciding on the pay package for a prospective candidate. What is your basic/gross salary per month (exclude the bonuses, OTs etc.) ?

Unregistered 30-03-2015 08:48 PM

Any idea on how long does it take for pre-employment health check result to be sent to the hiring ministry and for them to process and prepare my contract?

Unregistered 30-03-2015 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64713)
Any idea on how long does it take for pre-employment health check result to be sent to the hiring ministry and for them to process and prepare my contract?

Follow wan to know too

Unregistered 30-03-2015 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64709)
Ministries and majority of stat boards prefer good education qualifications. A pass degree and mediocre A and O level results means that chances are slim.

Secondly, you have quite a decent pay in the private sector. You would be around 34-35 years now. The ministry/stat board generally looks at the basic or the gross pay when deciding on the pay package for a prospective candidate. What is your basic/gross salary per month (exclude the bonuses, OTs etc.) ?

I have worked in diff ministries before, dont have a levels cert, degree from sim(pass only).. I got called for interviews leh and went thru 3 ministries but one thing my pay was between 3.5k to 4k la, now i think its harder for 'expensive' pple to come in, they may still ask him to come in but may offer him a much lower salary package.

I think for u to go to nus, ur a levels not that bad lah... Dont apply the elites ministries/stat boards, they tend to be more selective and critical... Avoid MinLaw, MTI, EDB, MOF... Etc unless of course u have really good experience (i.e Directorial positions)

Unregistered 30-03-2015 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64713)

my case took almost two months after receiving email offer. think they said it was easier to process after the FY ends.

Unregistered 30-03-2015 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64720)
.. Dont apply the elites ministries/stat boards, they tend to be more selective and critical... Avoid MinLaw, MTI, EDB, MOF... Etc unless of course u have really good experience (i.e Directorial positions)

So which are the elite ministries/stat boards? And why avoid MTI EDB etc?

Unregistered 30-03-2015 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 64725)
So which are the elite ministries/stat boards? And why avoid MTI EDB etc?

because mti, edb etc. are the elite ministries/sb he is talking about.