Compare civil service salary - Page 459 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Compare civil service salary

Old 28-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Unregistered

I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I would like to ask if HR automatically rejects a 2nd application if the 1st application was rejected before (i.e. submitted --> unsuccessful). I applied for the exact same position and has met all the basic requirements. For the first application, the rejection came after the deadline is over. For the second application, I applied once they posted the job again and was rejected again. Thanks!

Old 28-01-2015, 12:00 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I apologize if this question has been asked before.

I would like to ask if HR automatically rejects a 2nd application if the 1st application was rejected before (i.e. submitted --> unsuccessful). I applied for the exact same position and has met all the basic requirements. For the first application, the rejection came after the deadline is over. For the second application, I applied once they posted the job again and was rejected again. Thanks!
To add on to my previous post, I think the reason I was rejected the first time was because I stupidly left out my degree section as I am only graduating this May. So I only had my A levels results in the first application, and in my second application, I put in my university results but was still rejected. So HR could have thought I was a A level student applying for a degree position. However after rectifying my mistake, I was still rejected in the 2nd application, so was it due to the first rejection?

Old 28-01-2015, 01:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
can you come up with something more constructive?

by the same logic, shouldn't I not get a pro-rated 13 month for 2014 too?
It's not the same logic.. 13th month is usually based on service during the year, not your performance. i.e. Doesn't matter if you are a good or average performer, you would still be entitled to the same quantum, whereas for a typical performance bonus, a good performer will get more than an average performer.. In a lot of companies, if you joined too late in the year, you will not even be eligible for this 13th month.

But as the other poster has mentioned, yes, likely is auto C graded, and pro rated accordingly.. Which I believe will not be a significant amount..

Old 28-01-2015, 11:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
can you come up with something more constructive?

by the same logic, shouldn't I not get a pro-rated 13 month for 2014 too?
Actually the logic behind 13th month bonus is due to the 52 weeks system. By an old tradition, an employee is supposed to be paid once every 4 weeks. But thats too complicated so nowadays companies just pay on a monthly basis, say on the 15ht of each month. So in one year, there are 52 weeks. 52 divided by 4 is 13. Hence, you should be paid 13 times. But because of this monthly payment system, we only get 12 months of pay. Thus the 13th month must come in to offset the missing month.

So in effect, if you've started in december, you might not be entitled to the 13 month bonus at all if you only worked 4 weeks or less in that month of december. If you've worked more than 4 weeks, then you are entitled to more pay.

HOWEVER, the most you should be entitled to is capped at exactly 2.5 days of work and not more. Because the 13th month should be spread out amongst the 12 months in the year. 30 divided by 12 is exactly 2.5 days. Meaning we work 2.5 days more for each month. 2.5 days of pay....

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 29-01-2015, 08:44 PM
Unregistered

Anyone think performance bonus is fair? If i always get the higher grading, i will say it is fair. It is just extra income to have a better living. but to grade tgt with the promotion, the quota seems like many will feel some kind of unjust and unhappiness. Btw if got grade c in the support role, is the quantum same as those in the graduate scheme. Also is the quantum same across all the govt job? Thinking of gg upgrade to degree but with the c grading i am sure there is no point wasting money n time for the degree.
Old 29-01-2015, 10:53 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually the logic behind 13th month bonus is due to the 52 weeks system. By an old tradition, an employee is supposed to be paid once every 4 weeks. But thats too complicated so nowadays companies just pay on a monthly basis, say on the 15ht of each month. So in one year, there are 52 weeks. 52 divided by 4 is 13. Hence, you should be paid 13 times. But because of this monthly payment system, we only get 12 months of pay. Thus the 13th month must come in to offset the missing month.

So in effect, if you've started in december, you might not be entitled to the 13 month bonus at all if you only worked 4 weeks or less in that month of december. If you've worked more than 4 weeks, then you are entitled to more pay.

HOWEVER, the most you should be entitled to is capped at exactly 2.5 days of work and not more. Because the 13th month should be spread out amongst the 12 months in the year. 30 divided by 12 is exactly 2.5 days. Meaning we work 2.5 days more for each month. 2.5 days of pay....
This is actually a misconception that has been oft propagated quite a bit online. Simply said, Singapore follows a monthly based salary system, as compared to some other countries which pays on a weekly or fortnightly basis.

This practice of 13th month bonus, or Annual Wage Supplement (AWS), is more prominent in the Asian countries. Your pay in Singapore is actually based on 52 weeks, but paid out on a monthly basis instead for ease of accounting. When you calculate your daily rate of pay here, the formula is actually Monthly salary x 12 months / 52 weeks x no of working days per week. From here, you can see that the 52 weeks is already taken into account. So in fact, you are just being paid slightly more in some months (Feb) and less in others (those with 31 days).

Also, paying your salary every week or every 2 weeks can get quite messy and troublesome administratively.

Another point is that, it's called 13th month only because generally most companies pay out only 1 month. But this is in fact not required by companies under the Employment Act. There are companies which don't pay a single month of AWS, and there are also companies which pay 3 months of AWS.

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app

Old 30-01-2015, 05:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Anyone think performance bonus is fair? If i always get the higher grading, i will say it is fair. It is just extra income to have a better living. but to grade tgt with the promotion, the quota seems like many will feel some kind of unjust and unhappiness. Btw if got grade c in the support role, is the quantum same as those in the graduate scheme. Also is the quantum same across all the govt job? Thinking of gg upgrade to degree but with the c grading i am sure there is no point wasting money n time for the degree.
I agree with you, PB is so unfair, especially if your boss dislike u.. like my boss, keep on trying to find fault with the MSO in my branch.. so sian until I just go one ear go out the other.. It better not to quit, cannot stand just ask transfer to other dept or other ministry.. The only way to get good PB i think in CS is to carry ur boss balls.. agree to watever they say.. btw, u guys got the mail, compulsory for Div 2 officers to go for the course taken by Div 1 officers in CSC.. cause of the new gov ruling to narrow down div 2 and div 1 gap.. hopefully this budget in feb good news for div 2 officers...
Old 30-01-2015, 06:31 PM
Unregistered

Default Stat board question

I was offered a 2-yr contract job in a stat board with a chance to convert to perm at the end (if perform well) or contract will be renewable for another year. The JD didn't state that it was a contract position but the hr claimed that this is the norm for new hires in ministries and stat boards nowadays. Anyone can confirm this? Thanks
Old 30-01-2015, 06:44 PM
Unregistered

Hi, can i know how long is the process for hiring? After interview, how long do we have to wait for second interview or an offer from stat board/ministry?

Thanks in advance..

SG Bus Timing App

SGX Stocks [iPad] app
Old 30-01-2015, 06:51 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I was offered a 2-yr contract job in a stat board with a chance to convert to perm at the end (if perform well) or contract will be renewable for another year. The JD didn't state that it was a contract position but the hr claimed that this is the norm for new hires in ministries and stat boards nowadays. Anyone can confirm this? Thanks
Yes, this is the practice now.