Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Compare civil service salary (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/885-compare-civil-service-salary.html)

Unregistered 12-04-2013 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35334)
Are you in civil or public service? MXS(2008)? MX11?

I am MX11 and got a C performance grade with a MI of 6% ($360). 31 year old male with NS. 2nd upper. non-scholar.

I think those with B grade will get 8% MI and those with C grade will get 6% MI. At least this is accurate for MX11.

I am from stat board, MX11 equivalent. I got a C grade cos just promoted last year. My MI was $366, but works out to 7.6% for me.

A Civil Servant 12-04-2013 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35604)
i have not encountered such scholars before in the 2 ministries that I have worked in.

For courses with the option of a 4th year with honours (e.g. Computing, FASS), scholars will definitely proceed with it.

For courses without the possibility of honours (just hypothesising for this post but i dont know of any such courses), I dont think any scholars in the right frame of mind will sign up for it.

u seem to be trying very hard to substantiate your case but i do not think there are such instances.

There are courses with an optional honours year, e.g. some Life Science courses where the fourth year is a self-driven research project. In the grander scheme of things it leads on to a PhD under the Uni's framework. But its nice to have printed on your business card that you have Honours too.

A Civil Servant 12-04-2013 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35665)
I am from stat board, MX11 equivalent. I got a C grade cos just promoted last year. My MI was $366, but works out to 7.6% for me.

Don't believe that "C because just promoted/employed" excuse! Performance grades work on a quota system and if they can don't give you a B (to give to someone else) then they tell you that you got a promotion so that replaces the C.

I got B every year from first appraisal until now. In between got 1 promotion.

Unregistered 12-04-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Civil Servant (Post 35682)
Don't believe that "C because just promoted/employed" excuse! Performance grades work on a quota system and if they can don't give you a B (to give to someone else) then they tell you that you got a promotion so that replaces the C.

I got B every year from first appraisal until now. In between got 1 promotion.

Well it was my best performing year but still got a C. Every year, I get a "strong B"

cslee 12-04-2013 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35600)
The poster said that his salary scheme is based on the MX scheme, and now says it is not based on MX scheme. This is the reason that why the discussed content has to be read carefully, with a fully discerning mind.

He also mentioned that he was involved in many stints that allowed him to increase his visibility among the senior management. For your information, many Civil/ Public servants went through the same phase and are not promoted as quickly as the poster did. They also attended meetings on behalf of their directors when they are not free. This is very common in Civil/ Public service. Nothing new. Nothing amazing. Nothing out of this world. No signs of over-achievements. He was just performing his duty.

There are many Civil/ Public servants who work relentlessly over the weekends (some at home while others go back to office to work) in order to provide content support to the ministries, especially during important periods such as speeches and so on. Nothing new. This is expected of them and does not hint any signs of over-achievement.

As what I mentioned earlier, the public service has a structured compensation system that takes into consideration several factors before offering the job or giving the increment. No surprises. You can use excel sheet to calculate the trajectory.

I was away busy since my last post for some time. Din expect such a strong response vs 1 or 2 big canon fairies. Out of all, I concur with this statement most.

Unregistered 12-04-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35665)

I'm also from a stat board, MX11 equivalent. Got a C+ grade, MI = $366 (same!!), and it works out to 7.3%.

Unregistered 12-04-2013 09:27 PM

That guy who works in the ivory tower, caught the attention of management and got lots of B grades, promotions and increments in just a few years.....is the biggest cannon.

It can fire all the way from North Korea to the United States.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cslee (Post 35713)
I was away busy since my last post for some time. Din expect such a strong response vs 1 or 2 big canon fairies. Out of all, I concur with this statement most.

Unregistered 12-04-2013 09:31 PM

At the end of the day I assume ppl here are mostly jr level civil servant who have very limited information on the public sector. Dont be too fast to insult others as big cannon fairy just because it does not happen in your limited scope of work. We are all here to learn and share anyway.

Unregistered 12-04-2013 10:27 PM

With some common sense, it is not hard to discern what is logical and what isn't. Critical thinking is essential. It would be naive to accept everything at their face value. By the way, the big canon from the ivory tower....really makes me laugh all the way to the bank.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35731)
At the end of the day I assume ppl here are mostly jr level civil servant who have very limited information on the public sector. Dont be too fast to insult others as big cannon fairy just because it does not happen in your limited scope of work. We are all here to learn and share anyway.

kindaichi 13-04-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 35731)

at the end of the day (again), people failed to realize that others have many friends (both scholars and farmers) working in the civil service and we do tell each other our range of pay... unless u said ALL my friends are lying,then I know that only scholars have those kind of fast promotion (and thus higher pay) like those big cannon fairies said.