Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries


Compare civil service salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1351 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 09:16 PM
a non-servant
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
GLC and stat board are not civil service. stat board is public service. if you still don't know the difference, go and google.
Hi, I'm just another lurker; not to offend you or anyone else, but it seems there CAN be no difference, according to wikipedia: Civil service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But in Singapore's case, you are right that Statutory Boards are part of the "Public" Service AND NOT part of the "Civil" Service (which also includes the elite "Administrative" Service, among other "services"), although the "Civil" Service is still part of the "Public" Service! haha

PSD - FAQs

"4. What is the difference between Ministries and Statutory Boards? Are statutory boards considered part of the Singapore Civil Service?

The Singapore Public Service employs some 127,000 public officers working in 15 Ministries, more than 50 Statutory Boards and 9 Organs of State. Within the Public Service is the Civil Service, comprising more than 76,000 officers working in the Ministries and Organs of state. They work in various schemes of service, including the Administrative Service, legal, education, police, civil defence as well as other generic schemes. Statutory boards (such as HDB, CPF Board, IRAS, etc) have their own recruitment and human resource management policies. They are legally distinct and independent employers from the Civil Service."

Singapore has such a wonderful Public/Civil/Administrative "Service", doesn't it? haha
Reply With Quote
  #1352 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

anyone from other schemes such as economists or legal schemes?
Reply With Quote
  #1353 (permalink)  
Old 04-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a non-servant View Post
Hi, I'm just another lurker; not to offend you or anyone else, but it seems there CAN be no difference, according to wikipedia: Civil service - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But in Singapore's case, you are right that Statutory Boards are part of the "Public" Service AND NOT part of the "Civil" Service (which also includes the elite "Administrative" Service, among other "services"), although the "Civil" Service is still part of the "Public" Service! haha

PSD - FAQs

"4. What is the difference between Ministries and Statutory Boards? Are statutory boards considered part of the Singapore Civil Service?

The Singapore Public Service employs some 127,000 public officers working in 15 Ministries, more than 50 Statutory Boards and 9 Organs of State. Within the Public Service is the Civil Service, comprising more than 76,000 officers working in the Ministries and Organs of state. They work in various schemes of service, including the Administrative Service, legal, education, police, civil defence as well as other generic schemes. Statutory boards (such as HDB, CPF Board, IRAS, etc) have their own recruitment and human resource management policies. They are legally distinct and independent employers from the Civil Service."

Singapore has such a wonderful Public/Civil/Administrative "Service", doesn't it? haha
?
admin service is a scheme of service for goodness sake. it is not the same kind of classification as per public/civil service.

the different schemes of service include foreign, management executive, intel, uniformed, information, legal, economic, admin amongst others.

thanks also for citing wikipedia, it is indeed very 'authoritative'.
Reply With Quote
  #1354 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:00 AM
a non-servant
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
?
admin service is a scheme of service for goodness sake. it is not the same kind of classification as per public/civil service.
Yes, I understand; but actually, my point was that all these different names for different kinds of "Services" can be confusing to some people sometimes, which is why I was being a bit sarcastic! haha
Especially since many of these so-called Public/Civil/Administrative "Servants" seem to dictate more than serve! haha
And even if they do serve, most of the time, they are just serving their immediate superiors and not the "public"... maybe they are serving the public in some invisible way, but how can they expect most people to believe that is true when most people don't even know them?
Anyway, it's none of my business, and I have no intention (and no ability anyway) of changing the status quo; I was just making my own observations, that's all.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
thanks also for citing wikipedia, it is indeed very 'authoritative'.
It is not, and I never said it is; but sometimes, it can be a good reference, or at least a starting point, for some people to learn new things from.

Some articles in Wikipedia certainly contain misinformation, but in the case of "Civil Service", it is true that at least in some countries, "Civil Service" and "Public Service" can mean the same thing.

Even in Singapore, according to the above-mentioned "PSD - FAQs":

"Within the Public Service is the Civil Service..."

so that means that ALL Civil Servants are Public Servants, but NOT all Public Servants are Civil Servants.

In other words, someone in the Civil Service is also ALWAYS in the Public Service, and someone in the Public Service CAN also be in the Civil Service, while others in the Public Service may not necessarily be in the Civil Service.
Reply With Quote
  #1355 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:22 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Since uniformed officers are part of civil service, why are they left out in the recent pay increment??
Reply With Quote
  #1356 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2012, 08:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Since uniformed officers are part of civil service, why are they left out in the recent pay increment??
Not that they are left out. But because there are so many schemes in the civil service, such as uniformed and non-uniformed, the market adjustments are implemented in phases.
Reply With Quote
  #1357 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by a non-servant View Post

so that means that ALL Civil Servants are Public Servants, but NOT all Public Servants are Civil Servants.

In other words, someone in the Civil Service is also ALWAYS in the Public Service, and someone in the Public Service CAN also be in the Civil Service, while others in the Public Service may not necessarily be in the Civil Service.
Exactly. That was what the previous poster meant, that the terms are not one and the same.
Reply With Quote
  #1358 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:04 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 168
Anonymous is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Since uniformed officers are part of civil service, why are they left out in the recent pay increment??
Rather than demanding an answer/justification here, you should go talk to your HR.
Reply With Quote
  #1359 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2012, 09:31 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

It is strange that there is no official announcement or media release for the recent market adjustment. I had read about reports of market adjustments in previous years though.
Reply With Quote
  #1360 (permalink)  
Old 05-02-2012, 10:00 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
Rather than demanding an answer/justification here, you should go talk to your HR.
certain people have a strong sense of entitlement. not only talking about previous poster.

mummy how come zeh zeh has sweets i don't have?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
civil servants, civil service, government, law, lawyer, mx scale, public sector, scholar, scholarship, superscale

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Civil Service Pay - Director level curious Income and Jobs 128 22-10-2014 07:03 PM
Civil Service Bonus 2007 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 18-03-2010 12:42 PM
High Earners In Civil Service Salary.sg Income and Jobs 29 28-04-2009 10:29 AM
HK civil service salary hike Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 21-11-2008 10:57 PM
Civil Service Bonus mid-2008 Salary.sg Income and Jobs 6 15-07-2008 01:40 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
To further studies or not to
8 Replies, 424 Views
Mediacorp executive
4 Replies, 161 Views
any entrepreneurship stories to...
8 Replies, 374 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,789 Replies, 1,395,579 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,270 Replies, 1,765,551 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3)
22 Replies, 1,992 Views
Career change
1 Replies, 105 Views
All about Home Affairs Senior... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
81 Replies, 34,479 Views
Whats your net worth ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,080 Replies, 342,635 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
296 Replies, 192,189 Views
Prospects in FMCG Companies...
7 Replies, 393 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
783 Replies, 138,920 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
467 Replies, 256,952 Views
KPMG or PWC? ( 1 2 3)
28 Replies, 1,755 Views
Golden Link.The story of one...
0 Replies, 107 Views
Singapore Power
0 Replies, 136 Views
Be a commodities trader ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
57 Replies, 31,478 Views
2015 OCBC Postgraduate MA Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
46 Replies, 8,302 Views
Looking for a renowned bank for...
6 Replies, 1,146 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
280 Replies, 168,332 Views
Interview Process at IPOS? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 37,537 Views
Contract jobs being repackaged as...
6 Replies, 1,244 Views
Questions
3 Replies, 213 Views
Most recent employer as reference
2 Replies, 285 Views
Interview for Civil Engineer Job...
6 Replies, 2,418 Views
Jobs Bank is finally up ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
74 Replies, 11,713 Views
Sacked during probation? ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 1,161 Views
Anyone working in NTU... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
32 Replies, 18,311 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT +8. The time now is 02:35 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2