Default Fresh grad

I am a fresh architecture graduate.

Can anyone advice me how much pay i should ask for in:

a small firm (<10 ppl)

a medium firm

a big firm(corporate)

Old 18-08-2011, 02:43 AM

Architektur is on a distinguished road

@Previous Poster.... you didnt specify graduate from???!?! Uni or Poly? Im guessing Poly.

-- To be honest, most of the people advised me to "get out of the line" if possible. I am seriously very confused since I'll have to go through post secondary again... what line to choose.

The reason why I chose architecture diploma is because I liked DNT, Technical stuff, and Maths. You know.. those stuff... I got an award for being the 2nd best DnT student in my sec school. And developed some lazyness in Poly, and got a 3.4+ GPA.

To be honest, I can't imagine myself doing anything else (which could be because... i NEVER even tried other stuff lol so this imagination shall not be too reliable)

My story is too long and complicated to tell so I shall not explain further but atleast u guys got where I am coming from.

p.s. and "Most of the people" I was talking about is actually only from 1 company since I came back to my intern company and now done 5mth and the 6th mth will be my NS (2 years to ponder+get advise). I know, I will see the light if I jump to other firms. But I just dont have the time to do so (NS)

I am also planning to continue degree/masters as soon as possible.

Anyways, like I said, I cant tell you guys everything, this is not a blog. I'm willing to share more if someone's willing to help out on my future

Thanks

Old 22-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Unregistered

Unhappy How much do QPs earn

I'm glad there's a thread here about Archi grad/ architects salary.

I've been working for 4 years since grad from nus arch with masters and now getting a monthly salary of about $4800 currently, which is low compared to other professions. I'd liketo add that I didn't get to this salary by sticking to the same comPany from a fresh grad pay of $2900 4 years ago. There has been 2 hops since.

One thing's for sure, our industry is quite surpressed salary wise, and emPloyers always use the notion that Archi staffs have to work late and earn little to get far, which I feel is just a stupid excuse to be stingy and not move with the times and rising inflation.

Architects around, let's not allow the profession to slide because of our submissiveness to employers' unreasonable demands.

I'd like to seek advice from architects here. What should one ask for if you get registered as a fresh QP, and start signing documents with your name as QP while working as an employee in an Archi firm. A percentage cut in professional fees or a salary increase?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 23-08-2011, 05:12 AM

Architektur is on a distinguished road

I guess the Architect's salary market is getting lower and lower. And if we ask too high, they'd get foreign people. So how do we solve this?

It's true what the previous poster said,
"Architects around, let's not allow the profession to slide because of our submissiveness to employers' unreasonable demands."

If we want it to happen, EVERYBODY have to do it...

I think some just dont realise that they actually low balled. But sometimes, they just cant risk not getting a job just because their asking salary is too high.

I think it's about time someone makes a point that with this amt of rewards we get (monetary and work-life balance) and the amt of hours we spend in the office, quality of life deteriorate and quality of work gets affected. And then, you'll get people discouraging fresh graduates to change course and crush their dreams. (which might in turn increase the market because there are a shortage of architects out there....)

I dont think that's the way lol. And the fact that I see they are actually taking in more and more students in Singapore Polytechnic (Not sure of NUS) so im guessing, one day, being an "Architect" would mean nothing.

I'm not trying to have that childish attitude, whining about architcture to be an "exclusive" job.... but the fact that we are designing for people to live in, I think that plays an important part in the fabric of society...

I don't know how to explain it further.. I think some might understand.

But hey! What does a fresh graduate knows! Haha.

But this is how i see it has turned out to be...
Old 31-08-2011, 03:08 AM
atelier

Smile

I'm foreign grad with B.Arch, 3yrs ago my starting pay was 3.2k
2 times increment and about 4.2k currently..

I guess it is not a good pay for the amount of time and efforts we spent.. compare to other profession like doctor and lawyer.. fresh grad lawyer get 5k

10yrs experience architect could get 10k, but 5yrs experience lawyer could get 10k too..

it is a sad fact!

I work average 12hrs a day, no weekend if rushing for deadline.. construction worker's pay is about $15-18 per hr, I guess their monthly pay is better than architect if they work 12hrs a day.
Old 18-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Unregistered

Default just to add to that statistic for everyone's reference

i stumbled across this thread when my boss asked me today what i really want (i tendered resignation a month ago...thinking to take a long break from this crazy work...friends are shouting at me for giving away the year end bonus...anyway, bonus is not something compulsory right?). Well, I'd like some long vacation but it seems impossible for local employers to let staffs go on holiday for more than 1 week!

to cut the story short...i start to look around what people is being paid in this industry and their working culture....yup, long hour and not so attractive pay after 2 hours of google research (compare to other professions)

here is something to add on the statistic for everyone's reference:
i work in a small firm (less than 10)
post graduate from australia
local experience 5 years
when i first started with a first degree 10 years ago....the pay was 1500, then increased to 1800 when i changed job the next year
after i got the second degree (ok...part 2 degree), the pay was 3000 and 3500 after 3 years. Still in the same company. and not yet a registered architect.

Now...i heard rumours some fresh grad is getting 3.5-3.8k. If that's true, i really want to scream at myself (((i worth less than a fresh grad!! that's a serious problem)))

Anyway, totally agree with some of the previous comments. People, we just cannot be submissive to all the ridiculous demands from client and employers. When employer is telling us about leadership, professionalism, pride, passion and stuff like that, please bear in mind work-life balance is more important...without that, I don't see how we can ever enjoy creating fun and exciting space for human. We will be creating disaster instead.

cheers....to all the architects out there.

Old 22-10-2011, 10:10 PM
Unregistered

Lightbulb what currency do you use ?

I don't know what kind of currency do you guys use in this topic, USD OR SGD ? jus that $ , I can't figure out.
Old 23-10-2011, 04:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know what kind of currency do you guys use in this topic, USD OR SGD ? jus that $ , I can't figure out.
it's rupee dude.
Old 21-11-2011, 09:10 PM
Unregistered

The old and tired (and of course untrue) adage that - if you are looking to make money, don't be an Architect, is what has gotten us into this predicament in the first place.

The ones who are saying this are very often the Employers, or on the other side of the spectrum, the dreamers.

If you are good at what you do, you should be well remunerated.

With Architects who are ever willing to short change themselves, we will see further and continuing degradation of the profession.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Unregistered

Default I don't understand

I'm a fresh graduate and I've been offered 4,000. I came on here to see if that was a good offer. I see now, that it is.