how much can I ask for this position,thanks - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




how much can I ask for this position,thanks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 3
salseek is on a distinguished road
Default how much can I ask for this position,thanks

may i ask 4000 sig$ for the following position
//requriement:
Software Engineer in IT(home-security,finger,face,track or passport scanning)
middle level-2year
c++,mfc
part java,c#,linux

//my qualification
34years old
BS and MS of computer science graduated from China
3 years expeience in shchool lab for algorithm,with two project and three paper
4years experience in two company, R&D
2years experience(java,c#) in singapore

in all i have more than 6 years experience in their relative field.

now i am with PR
current salary:
basic 2800/month,
AWS 2 months salary

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 03-03-2010, 10:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

sounds ok to me. thanks for contributing to the sg economy and making us richer.

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salseek View Post
may i ask 4000 sig$ for the following position
//requriement:
Software Engineer in IT(home-security,finger,face,track or passport scanning)
middle level-2year
c++,mfc
part java,c#,linux

//my qualification
34years old
BS and MS of computer science graduated from China
3 years expeience in shchool lab for algorithm,with two project and three paper
4years experience in two company, R&D
2years experience(java,c#) in singapore

in all i have more than 6 years experience in their relative field.

now i am with PR
current salary:
basic 2800/month,
AWS 2 months salary


Hi Salseek ... You are definitely underpaid and should demand 4K per month w/o any hesitation ...

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2010, 07:41 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

yeah, you deserve to ask for $4k. But a programmer from India with your qualifications will only ask for $2k. So how?
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:01 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
yeah, you deserve to ask for $4k. But a programmer from India with your qualifications will only ask for $2k. So how?
10k is more appropriate. other foreign talents, though mostly whites, earn that amount by doing high level designs. they call themselves architects. no programming needed.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2010, 08:49 AM
IT Manager
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
10k is more appropriate. other foreign talents, though mostly whites, earn that amount by doing high level designs. they call themselves architects. no programming needed.
He is asking about programming job not s/w architects. The job scopes are totally different. Race has got nothing to do with the pay packages, its all about their profile.

salseek, it all depends on the employers' budget and their requirements. Since they posted middle-level 2 year, I doubt they are willing to pay much. But of course you can still try your luck.
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IT Manager View Post
He is asking about programming job not s/w architects. The job scopes are totally different. Race has got nothing to do with the pay packages, its all about their profile.

salseek, it all depends on the employers' budget and their requirements. Since they posted middle-level 2 year, I doubt they are willing to pay much. But of course you can still try your luck.
Why be a programmer when you can be an architect? Being a programmer is being cheaper, but being an architect is being better.

I'm giving advice to salseeker to _not_ remain as a programmer, but work at a higher level. This is the way to earn more.

I have to add this: some architects just talk and consult their way to the top, but they actually do not have much substance. Whether you are talented or not, learn from them.

A distant analogy: why be a farmer when you can get rich trading the produce?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 04-03-2010, 09:54 AM
IT Manager
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why be a programmer when you can be an architect? Being a programmer is being cheaper, but being an architect is being better.

I'm giving advice to salseeker to _not_ remain as a programmer, but work at a higher level. This is the way to earn more.

I have to add this: some architects just talk and consult their way to the top, but they actually do not have much substance. Whether you are talented or not, learn from them.

A distant analogy: why be a farmer when you can get rich trading the produce?
Like I said the two are totally different job scopes. A programmer may not have the necessary skills to be a s/w architects, and vice-versa. Your experience with the untalented s/w architects do not justify that programmers can be s/w architects, there are many other factors to consider how they manage to be there.

And what advise you gave salseeker in your previous post? Please read what you wrote again.

Stating a sound analogy does not make an argument sound. But its true that one can still learn a thing or two from anybody including the untalented ones.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 30-03-2010, 04:08 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 10
Windy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by salseek View Post
may i ask 4000 sig$ for the following position
//requriement:
Software Engineer in IT(home-security,finger,face,track or passport scanning)
middle level-2year
c++,mfc
part java,c#,linux

//my qualification
34years old
BS and MS of computer science graduated from China
3 years expeience in shchool lab for algorithm,with two project and three paper
4years experience in two company, R&D
2years experience(java,c#) in singapore

in all i have more than 6 years experience in their relative field.

now i am with PR
current salary:
basic 2800/month,
AWS 2 months salary
4K is 42% increment over 2.8K. Depending on your hiring manger, that may not be acceptable. Nevertheless, luck plays a great part in one's career .
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 23-05-2011, 09:33 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windy View Post
4K is 42% increment over 2.8K. Depending on your hiring manger, that may not be acceptable. Nevertheless, luck plays a great part in one's career .
DO NOT EVER TELL YOUR EMPLOYER YOUR SALARY. First to declare in salary negotiation loses.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» 30 Recent Threads
Shell TDP ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
82 Replies, 14,620 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,874 Replies, 910,104 Views
Working in a bank ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
504 Replies, 250,585 Views
Top paying companies in SG for... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
48 Replies, 26,357 Views
Should I pursue a Masters in...
0 Replies, 57 Views
Mid-Year Civil Servant Bonus 2018
1 Replies, 381 Views
Secondary School Ranking 2017
2 Replies, 4,979 Views
What makes Investment-Linked...
5 Replies, 5,587 Views
teaching English as a career
1 Replies, 320 Views
List of Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
174 Replies, 81,352 Views
Job Application with MOE... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
159 Replies, 115,731 Views
How rich/poor am I compared to... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 21,420 Views
Officer Role in Bank of Tokyo -... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
161 Replies, 108,627 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
928 Replies, 642,782 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,201 Replies, 322,643 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
968 Replies, 407,468 Views
IRAS salary?
1 Replies, 451 Views
Really that bad for engineers? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,212 Replies, 739,572 Views
Cambridge Associates ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
37 Replies, 16,098 Views
Exxon Mobil Equipment tech or... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,297 Replies, 252,252 Views
Advice needed for a 30 yo male... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 7,088 Views
Commercial Affairs Officer ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
38 Replies, 24,435 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,875 Replies, 1,109,694 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,736 Replies, 565,280 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,995 Replies, 3,703,345 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,041 Replies, 743,273 Views
Anyone worked in singhealth/nhg? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
43 Replies, 45,144 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
275 Replies, 490,065 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2