Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 28-11-2015, 10:16 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just heard that my bro in law just got a sports car for himself, and a Merz for his wife. Both waiting delivery before CNY next year. Wow Singaporeans are really cash rich. No wonder my hopes of COE crashing to $30k can dream on......
Yes, many Singaporeans are rich. There are households owning more than one car. Some even have three or four cars in each household. COE prices is trending up. Don't be surprised if it reaches $100k and higher in the future. If you are serious in getting a new car, buy now. Or else, just buy a scooter.

Old 29-11-2015, 07:56 AM
Unregistered

I'm happy to share that after working more than 20 years in the intense corporate world, I've finally achieved my ambition to retire early. It has always been my ambition. My hard work, long hours, travels, etc are all worth it. I made good money and invested extremely well. Now I live in a nice condo and can live off my passive income. Life is so wonderful now. No more early morning traffic jams, no more rushing from one meeting to another and no more busy travel. I'm enjoying life. You too can achieve the same if you put your mind to it. All the best guys!

Old 29-11-2015, 11:27 AM
Unregistered

Well done! You deserve a good early retirement after the many hours of grueling, highly stressful work. I think if you continue working like that, you will most likely die early in your 50s from a sudden heart attack. Worse, you will be paralysed from stroke. Your health is the most important to a good life. No point being so rich but sickly or diseased. Do spend more time in your retirement exercising and taking care of your health.

Quote:
I'm happy to share that after working more than 20 years in the intense corporate world, I've finally achieved my ambition to retire early. It has always been my ambition. My hard work, long hours, travels, etc are all worth it. I made good money and invested extremely well. Now I live in a nice condo and can live off my passive income. Life is so wonderful now. No more early morning traffic jams, no more rushing from one meeting to another and no more busy travel. I'm enjoying life. You too can achieve the same if you put your mind to it. All the best guys!

Old 29-11-2015, 08:59 PM
Unregistered

Bro. U cannot cAlculate like that la.

If u do that, u r assuming one is the subset of the other.
Means out of the entire population, 13.5% owns a condo, and out of this 13.5%, 45% owns a car. Means all those who own cars are also condo owners.
If this is the case, then the probability of u owning a car AND a condo is like what u said: 0.135x0.45.

BUT, this is not the case! 45% of the ENTIRE population owns car. 13.5 percent of the ENTIRE population owns condo. One is not the subset of the other.
Means you are in fact looking for the area where A intersects B, where A is not a subset of B.

I think i just did a bad job at explaining. Need to draw diagrams. Haha.

Anyway, put it simply, there are HH which stays in HDB and owns car. And there are HH which stays in condo but dont own a car. So u cannot multiply lidat.

Quote:
Here is how the % is calculated

% of HH living in condo 13.5%
% of HH owning a car 45%
So, if a HH living in condo and own a car, it will be = 0.45x0.135 = 6%.
You learn this in probability lesson in secondary school.
Assuming, only 30% of these HH have fully paid condo and car, it will then be 1.8%
Old 29-11-2015, 09:03 PM
Unregistered

Sorry. You are right. I confused myself. Haha. Wanted to delete the previous post, but cant.
Your calculation of probability is correct.

Quote:
Bro. U cannot cAlculate like that la.

If u do that, u r assuming one is the subset of the other.
Means out of the entire population, 13.5% owns a condo, and out of this 13.5%, 45% owns a car. Means all those who own cars are also condo owners.
If this is the case, then the probability of u owning a car AND a condo is like what u said: 0.135x0.45.

BUT, this is not the case! 45% of the ENTIRE population owns car. 13.5 percent of the ENTIRE population owns condo. One is not the subset of the other.
Means you are in fact looking for the area where A intersects B, where A is not a subset of B.

I think i just did a bad job at explaining. Need to draw diagrams. Haha.

Anyway, put it simply, there are HH which stays in HDB and owns car. And there are HH which stays in condo but dont own a car. So u cannot multiply lidat.
Old 29-11-2015, 09:06 PM
Unregistered

I meant this original calculation is correct.
GOD, thats what happens when everyone is "unregistered".
Sorry for spamming

Quote:
Here is how the % is calculated

% of HH living in condo 13.5%
% of HH owning a car 45%
So, if a HH living in condo and own a car, it will be = 0.45x0.135 = 6%.
You learn this in probability lesson in secondary school.
Assuming, only 30% of these HH have fully paid condo and car, it will then be 1.8%

Old 29-11-2015, 09:47 PM
Unregistered

If indeed only 1.8% of all HHs have fully paid condo and fully paid car, then if you are of this profile, then you are very, very successful as you represent a very small group which have achieved this.
Old 30-11-2015, 10:14 AM
Unregistered

Sad to say, the truth is that work is actually good for both mental and financial health. Extracts below from the UK study "IS WORK GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH AND WELL-BEING?"

FINDINGS
Work: The generally accepted theoretical framework about work and well-being is based on
extensive background evidence:
• Employment is generally the most important means of obtaining adequate economic
resources, which are essential for material well-being and full participation in today’s society;
• Work meets important psychosocial needs in societies where employment is the norm;
• Work is central to individual identity, social roles and social status;
• Employment and socio-economic status are the main drivers of social gradients in physical
and mental health and mortality;
4047 pi-68 Vn0_05 18/8/06 14:23 Page vii
viii Is work good for your health & well-being?
• Various physical and psychosocial aspects of work can also be hazards and pose a risk to
health.
Unemployment: Conversely, there is a strong association between worklessness and poor
health. This may be partly a health selection effect, but it is also to a large extent cause and effect.
There is strong evidence that unemployment is generally harmful to health, including:
• higher mortality;
• poorer general health, long-standing illness, limiting longstanding illness;
• poorer mental health, psychological distress, minor psychological/psychiatric morbidity;
• higher medical consultation, medication consumption and hospital admission rates.

Quote:
Well done! You deserve a good early retirement after the many hours of grueling, highly stressful work. I think if you continue working like that, you will most likely die early in your 50s from a sudden heart attack. Worse, you will be paralysed from stroke. Your health is the most important to a good life. No point being so rich but sickly or diseased. Do spend more time in your retirement exercising and taking care of your health.
Old 30-11-2015, 11:32 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Sad to say, the truth is that work is actually good for both mental and financial health. Extracts below from the UK study "IS WORK GOOD FOR YOUR HEALTH AND WELL-BEING?"

FINDINGS
Work: The generally accepted theoretical framework about work and well-being is based on
• Employment is generally the most important means of obtaining adequate economic
resources, which are essential for material well-being and full participation in today’s society;
• Work meets important psychosocial needs in societies where employment is the norm;
• Employment and socio-economic status are the main drivers of social gradients in physical
• Various physical and psychosocial aspects of work can also be hazards and pose a risk to
health.
Unemployment: Conversely, there is a strong association between worklessness and poor
health. This may be partly a health selection effect, but it is also to a large extent cause and effect.
There is strong evidence that unemployment is generally harmful to health, including:
• higher mortality;
• poorer mental health, psychological distress, minor psychological/psychiatric morbidity;
• higher medical consultation, medication consumption and hospital admission rates.
The truth of the matter is probably somewhere between this research finding and the nut who keeps on posting about retiring in 40s and then congratulating himself.

Work is good BUT it has to be
1) stress free
2) flexible - can decide to go off on a short holiday next week on impromptu basis.
3) no pressing deadlines. Flexible deadlines.
4) lots of colleagues you can talk to.
5) some bitchy and bad colleagues to spice up life .... For gossip and back biting fodder.
6) can exercise and take light nap during work hours.....

Where got this type of work??
Got..... My mum works in a Chinese temple and it si as per above...
Old 30-11-2015, 12:39 PM
Unregistered

Of course, work is definitely good. If you don't work, you will rot. However, not working for someone else (salaried worker) but working for yourself (entrepreneur or businessman) or working for society for free (social volunteer work) is also work. If you have the means and ability to be a businessman (due to your high ability) or a volunteer social worker (due to your superior financial standing), then you should pursue these. If you have low ability and low self confidence, then it is best you stay in your current salaried position.

There are high flyers who made their fortune early in their careers and are retired by their mid or late forties. They spend their early retirement doing volunteer social work to give back to society. Since they do this voluntarily, they won't be bossed around and the work gives them self actualisation in contributing to society. They lead very meaningful and blessed lives.

Quote:

FINDINGS
health.
• higher mortality;