How much are you earning per annum? - Page 538 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How much are you earning per annum?

Old 24-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Unregistered

Retirement planning must start from Day 1 when you started working. After I studied the markets, I decided that property and stocks are the best retirement assets. I envisaged that landed property will appreciate the most, so after I sold my HDB flat 20 years ago, I bought a landed property. I sold it last year with millions in profit. Today, at the age of 58, I am retired in a 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom condo in a good district. I invested my cash and able to generate 4% pa in dividends. Now both my wife and I are retired and enjoying passive income. We are also debt free. Our working adult children (they are staying on their own) give us a token monthly allowance of $1000 each. Our spendings is just a fraction of our annual passive income.

Old 24-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Unregistered

Perfect timing, you sold your landed at the peak. Landed property prices on the way down. Enjoy your retirement. Do some volunteer charity work for help the poor and needy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Retirement planning must start from Day 1 when you started working. After I studied the markets, I decided that property and stocks are the best retirement assets. I envisaged that landed property will appreciate the most, so after I sold my HDB flat 20 years ago, I bought a landed property. I sold it last year with millions in profit. Today, at the age of 58, I am retired in a 1000 sq ft 2 bedroom condo in a good district. I invested my cash and able to generate 4% pa in dividends. Now both my wife and I are retired and enjoying passive income. We are also debt free. Our working adult children (they are staying on their own) give us a token monthly allowance of $1000 each. Our spendings is just a fraction of our annual passive income.

Old 24-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Unregistered

Tidal wave of property supply hits S’pore

September 23, 2014

Investors should sell their residential investments in Singapore. The property market, which has been gradually declining, does not need any new action to tip it over. Just the sheer number of new homes being supplied both in Singapore and Iskandar will drive prices lower.

New private home sales in Singapore have plunged in the past three months to about 40 per cent of the monthly average of the past five years or so.

Since January 2010, the average number of homes sold by developers each month has exceeded 1,300 units. The total number of new homes sold in June, July and August were 531, 560 and 490, respectively, including executive condominiums (EC). Excluding the hybrid housing type, the respective numbers were 482, 509, and 432, respectively, Urban Redevelopment Authority (URA) and Century 21 (IPA) data showed.

Given seasonal factors, such as the Hungry Ghost Month and the quadrennial football World Cup, the three months of dismal private home sales will not be sufficient to render the residential sector a bear market. However, the downward trend can be confirmed by several other indicators.

The Housing and Development Board (HDB)’s resale price index, which has a direct impact on mass market private properties, has fallen 5.4 per cent over the past four quarters.

During the same period, the URA’s private residential price index slipped 3.4 per cent. The weakness is also reflected in the rental market, where median private non-landed rentals eased 1.1 per cent in the past four quarters to S$3.79 psf per month. Meanwhile, private residential occupancy rates fell to 92.9 per cent in the second quarter of this year from 93.9 per cent in the third quarter of last year. In absolute terms, the number of vacant units increased to 21,268 in the second quarter of this year from 17,459 in the third quarter of last year.

Taken together, it is evident that we experienced a slow decline over the past year. Will this gradual weakening lead to a soft landing? Or are we about to fall off the edge of a cliff? As a practising real estate agent, I find it tougher to hold up high rents for landlords. With the rising vacancy rates amid a stream of newly-completed properties, the competition for tenants is intense, especially with the Government tightening foreign employment.

Although some landlords have yet to tune themselves to this new reality, others have reacted quickly ahead of next year’s record high supply, which will further pressure rents.

Supply of HDB, EC UNITS and Private Residences

In the past 10 years, Singapore has added about 8,000 new private residential units per year. But next year, we can expect about 22,000 units to be completed and 24,000 the year after and at least 16,000 in 2017. The pressure on rents will be overwhelming. Lifting the property curbs will not help fill vacant apartments and improve rents.

The expected supply of new HDB flats and ECs is large as well. More than 25,000 units will be completed every year over the next three years. There are also many second-time new HDB buyers and those who are upgrading to ECs who are required by law to sell their current HDB flats when they collect the keys to their new flats or ECs. Unless a few of the cooling measures are lifted and the foreigner employment policies are relaxed, the HDB Resale Price Index and the URA Residential Price Index are set to decline at a faster pace with the onslaught of new, completed home completions, even after taking into account the need for infrastructure to keep pace with population growth.

Supply in Iskandar

We must also not forget the promise of lower-cost properties across the Causeway in Iskandar.

The numerous Iskandar residential projects launched in Singapore since 2010, in locations such as Puteri Harbour, Danga Bay, Tebrau, Medini, etc, are now being completed.

They are ready to compete for tenants from Singapore seeking to reduce their housing costs and who do not mind making the commute between the countries. I estimate that over the next four years, about 10,000 new homes will be added per year in Iskandar and some of these will find tenants from Singapore with their attractive rents.

In the past six months, there has been an increase in the number of mortgagee home sales, with several headline-grabbing ones involving luxury condominiums in Sentosa Cove and the prime District 9. During the luxury property boom from 2006 to 2008, about 60 per cent of top-end apartments were purchased by foreigners. Some have held on to their investments, but they are now feeling stifled as a result of the multiple rounds of cooling measures, weak property demand and the restricted ability to refinance under the current regime.

For those who are willing to take a long-term view, say, 15 years and beyond, landed homes and high-quality freehold properties in Districts 9 and 10 would remain safe bets as these sub-segments are limited in terms of current stock and future supply.

As for now and the immediate future, as I forecast in a commentary in this column last year (“The price war has begun”, Nov 8, 2013), sellers are lowering prices and this will continue to take its toll on investors.

I recommend that investors sell their residential investments before they are engulfed by the tidal wave of new supply.

By Ku Swee Yong – a licensed real estate agent and the chief executive of property agency Century 21 Singapore. An author of two bestsellers, Real Estate Riches and Building Real Estate Riches, he has just launched his third book, Real Estate Realities — Accommodating The Investment Needs Of Today’s Society.

Source : Today – 19 Sep 2014

Old 24-09-2014, 10:26 AM
Unregistered

Default A model to follow

Quote:
I can understand your joy when you share this posting. Very constructive and encouraging.

I am as fortunate as you are, perhaps slightly luckier.

I am now 60. Retired one and half year ago. I had 3 double storey terrace houses. Sold one just prior to my retirement. Me and my wife stay in one, another one let my son and his young family staying. Please take note, property not transferred yet, still under my wife's name.

My son and his wife earn very good salaries. When they give us pocket money, me and my wife never decline. We take it as good gesture that they treasure our sacrifice for his up bringing.

We park our money as follows:
Cash in saving/ current account for daily use and emergency - 1%
FD/ Treasury bill - 10%
REITs - 50%
Share account to enjoy some fun of trading - 10%
Collectibles like painting, chinese tea PU-Erh, tea port - 29%

Our passive income (mostly from REITs) can support our lifestyle with plenty of rooms to manoeuvre.

We enjoy and treasure every single day in life.
Thank God for giving us good health.
Thank you Singapore Government for providing a safe and peaceful environment.
Thank you all of you for reading this posting.
Old 24-09-2014, 10:39 AM
Unregistered

Default passive income

Hi all,

you all seem very knowledgeable and have like excellent finances. I'm a fresh grad, going to start work soon. And would appreciate some advice.

Regarding the stuff you all posted about passive income, yielding 4-5% pa, where do these come from? Are they like from blue chips investment or something like that?

Thanks!
Old 24-09-2014, 11:57 AM
Unregistered

The days of making big money from properties without any need for knowledge, i.e. brainless buying random properties waiting for price to go up are over.

People who bought properties from the late 1990s have generally a good run and made big money in the process. But I doubt today's graduate is going to make it big by just blindly buying properties.

There are still niches here & there, but definitely if your strategy is just blindly buying condos and hoping 20 years down the road can just sell and retire. Haha, better think twice.

Blue chip stocks might yield 4-5% dividend income, but they tend to fluctuate according to economy, so is not guaranteed. Also unless you have big capital to start with, its not going to let you retire early.

Moral of the story: Invest in property & stocks can allow you to retire comfortably at 65, but dun treat them as some magic pill that you can just sit back relax and wait for retirement at 40.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app

Old 24-09-2014, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

I was just wondering how much does a retired couple need nowadays to live in Singapore, based on the following conditions:

1. Retired at 65.
2. 4 room flat paid off.
3. No car.
4. No maid.
5. Eat mostly home cooked food.
6. Do household chores themselves.
7. Holidays once a year in neighboring countries.

How much is a reasonable household expense per month?
Old 24-09-2014, 03:23 PM
Unregistered

Min:
Food 500 x 12 = 6000
Utilities 100 x 12 = 1200
One trip to JB 100 x 1 = 100
Total is 7300

Max:
Food 1500 x 12 = 18000
Utilities 400 x 12 = 4800
Misc 200 x 12 = 2400
One trip to Australia 15000 x 1 = 15000
Total is 40200
Old 24-09-2014, 03:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Perfect timing, you sold your landed at the peak. Landed property prices on the way down. Enjoy your retirement. Do some volunteer charity work for help the poor and needy.
Come liao..

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 24-09-2014, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Default Any government pensioner ?

Just wonder how government pensioner fare after their retirement.
They have big salary and therefore big pension.