New boss wants me to handover all my staff to her for appraisal. Signals? - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

New boss wants me to handover all my staff to her for appraisal. Signals?

Old 22-12-2016, 07:29 PM
Verified Member

Brats is on a distinguished road
Default New boss wants me to handover all my staff to her for appraisal. Signals?

I have been supervising 2 staff in my workplace for a number of years now. Previously, the reporting structure was such that I had a boss who would additionally give work to my 2 staff and cc me to keep me informed. During appraisal time, I would be the reporting officer and noted all the work everyone had given my staff. My boss would be the countersigning officer for these 2 staff.

Recently my boss quit and a new boss took over. It's her first 'management' position where people are reporting to her. She wants me to let her do the appraisal for my 2 staff. In other words, she wants to be the only one in the office doing any appraising. Her reasoning is that she wants to give my staff some work to develop them and only she would have full view of what is given.

But giving them additional work too is what my previous boss had been doing, and he kept me informed. She could just do this too but it seems like she totally wants me out of the equation.

Is this a signal that this new boss wants me to get out?
She spoke to me about it and insists that I am being too sensitive and thinking too hard, but I don't think so. She also said that regardless of what I feel she will still be doing it.

Old 22-12-2016, 07:49 PM
Unregistered

female boss. nervous. micro-managing. isn't that obvious?
this doesn't mean she wants you out of the equation. but you will feel less important.

Old 22-12-2016, 08:24 PM
Verified Member

So what is the appropriate response? Just let her? In the eyes of the biggerbosses I may be seen as not up to the job of a manager (my current title) since I am not supervising anyone anymore.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 22-12-2016, 10:03 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brats View Post
So what is the appropriate response? Just let her? In the eyes of the biggerbosses I may be seen as not up to the job of a manager (my current title) since I am not supervising anyone anymore.
Honestly who cares about a manager job title?

Nowadays the titles are so inflated that every man and his donkey is also a manager or director. Many fresh deg grads go in public sector straight away manager and have a big team of dip/o level officers under him, I doubt anyone in the market see them as hot leaders "up to the job of a manager".

Doing appraisal for 2 people doesn't mean anything, it's the complexity of the role, your current salary (clearest indicator of real rank) and company brand you work with that is the most important in what future employers look for.

There is really no choice for you and any response is solely for show as she already tell you she doesn't care. So either quit or just suck thumb and carry on.

Personally I would just wait and see how the situation unfold. No need to make hasty conclusion too early. Sometimes new boss just want to wayang to show their authority and scare their subordinates to not try stunt.
Old 23-12-2016, 03:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I have been supervising 2 staff in my workplace for a number of years now. Previously, the reporting structure was such that I had a boss who would additionally give work to my 2 staff and cc me to keep me informed. During appraisal time, I would be the reporting officer and noted all the work everyone had given my staff. My boss would be the countersigning officer for these 2 staff.

Recently my boss quit and a new boss took over. It's her first 'management' position where people are reporting to her. She wants me to let her do the appraisal for my 2 staff. In other words, she wants to be the only one in the office doing any appraising. Her reasoning is that she wants to give my staff some work to develop them and only she would have full view of what is given.

But giving them additional work too is what my previous boss had been doing, and he kept me informed. She could just do this too but it seems like she totally wants me out of the equation.

Is this a signal that this new boss wants me to get out?
She spoke to me about it and insists that I am being too sensitive and thinking too hard, but I don't think so. She also said that regardless of what I feel she will still be doing it.
You mentioned a lot about your supervisory role being taken away. What about your remaining portfolio? You are in the best position to know whether if your remaining duties justify your salary.

Is your remaining duties transferable to two of your staff? Can the two staff cover your job without problems?

The economy is not doing well. There is a real chance of cutting headcount. I feel you are in a bad position. You are basically middle management, which increases your chance of being the first to go. The company can still function with the grunts and top management.
Old 23-12-2016, 08:53 AM
Verified Member

Reason for my current feeling is because since this new boss took over, she's been moving all the work I usually do to others, and also gradually leaving me out of cc'ing for everything. I don't even know when she's on leave because I'm not cc'd anything. My previous boss would cc the entire office for everything.

Because of this I feel her act is slowly aimed at moving me out of all the office operations.

I also did an appraisal with her 2 weeks ago. It was 4 minutes long and there was no talk of growing me into any area, rather, the immediate topic was if I am interested in any posting out.

When your boss talks with you for more than 25 minutes trying to justify why she wants to move staff who report to you to report to her instead, and in contrast spends 4 minutes doing your appraisal, I think it's quite telling.

Old 23-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Unregistered

I'm the fore mentioned manager and I'm disappointed that u are posting online. Will deal with u in office.
Old 23-12-2016, 11:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm the fore mentioned manager and I'm disappointed that u are posting online. Will deal with u in office.
Wah. Kena scared tiao. Are you really? Haha, can say as I'm just a Singaporean working overseas but come to Salary.sg for a healthy dose of SG Singapore politics.

OP, did your boss really come find you in the office?

Anyway, I've read of your situation and it doesn't look good. All the best man! I'm with you on this.
Old 23-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Reason for my current feeling is because since this new boss took over, she's been moving all the work I usually do to others, and also gradually leaving me out of cc'ing for everything. I don't even know when she's on leave because I'm not cc'd anything. My previous boss would cc the entire office for everything.

Because of this I feel her act is slowly aimed at moving me out of all the office operations.

I also did an appraisal with her 2 weeks ago. It was 4 minutes long and there was no talk of growing me into any area, rather, the immediate topic was if I am interested in any posting out.

When your boss talks with you for more than 25 minutes trying to justify why she wants to move staff who report to you to report to her instead, and in contrast spends 4 minutes doing your appraisal, I think it's quite telling.
You can rant the boss all you want, but now with the market almost recession, good luck with finding anything else. Generally low level management are the hardest to find jobs in this environment, they are neither here nor there. Not cheap and flexible enough but not enough experience and management skill to take on high level jobs.
Old 27-12-2016, 05:37 PM
my2centsworth

Quote:

i agree with u that the signs are telling.. but the key thing here, is how should u react?

yes there can be many reasons to her actions, but it offers little value to u knowing..

i would identify this as an act of "managing" someone out of the organization so that the person resigns.. the reasons could be i.e. top down mgmt instruction to cut headcount but no budget for retrenchment package, or she wants to bring in someone she knows and trusts to replace u, or etc..

what u could do is both of the following:
i. speak to her whether indirectly, or even offer ur help and say that ur port is now all shifted hence u dont have much on ur plate but u would like to contribute in some way..
ii. concurrently, update ur resume and send it to recruiters, companies directly..

defend ur position now in a professional way, keep email records of ur requests for work and offer of help.. this would help if any escalation is required..

all the best..