Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How is life as a doctor in Singapore?

Old 14-09-2013, 10:11 PM
Verified Member

MDtraveler is on a distinguished road

Photon,

I'm a US trained anesthesiologist, but we may be in the same boat. I interviewed in Singapore this past May at the same facility as you and intend to start there in April or May of next year. If you register on the site and send me a PM, I can answer some questions.

Old 24-09-2013, 05:28 PM

Zalifah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_doctor View Post
Hi,

I'm currently a doctor, graduated and working in the UK. Recently I have been thinking about moving to Singapore to live and work. Main reason being the quality of life over there.

What I wanted to know is how is the work/life balance as a junior doctor? How often do you have to work a weekend and how often are you doing an on call shift?

Another reason for moving over there is to be able to travel around Southern Asia during my spare time, but if I won't have any spare time then it really defeats the point.

Any information would be gratefully appreciated.

I have a friend who's a doctor. He worked in a clinic before. Quite stressful for him since he said he was only able to provide drugs to patients for their illnesses but couldn't target at the source of those illnesses. He said he didn't feel fulfilled or satisfied with that kind of job.

One day he found a company that allowed him to work together with other doctors to actually target the real source of illness and diseases, in the areas of obesity, cancer, etc. And he's earning quite a lot now. More than the standard doctors who work long hours.

Old 24-09-2013, 08:46 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zalifah View Post
I have a friend who's a doctor. He worked in a clinic before. Quite stressful for him since he said he was only able to provide drugs to patients for their illnesses but couldn't target at the source of those illnesses. He said he didn't feel fulfilled or satisfied with that kind of job.

One day he found a company that allowed him to work together with other doctors to actually target the real source of illness and diseases, in the areas of obesity, cancer, etc. And he's earning quite a lot now. More than the standard doctors who work long hours.
I am a locum gp working in singapore. i must say life is quite good, pay is fairly good about 90 per hr so depends on how hqrd u work. work is actually very easy and often have spare time to read papers and surf net. timing is also uo to me so i chose to work office hrs and to get off early to spend time with my children. there are lots of locum slots available all over singapore so a lot of choice but i choice to work reg at the same few clinics on fixed times. no office politics, really free and easy with no one breathing over yr shoulder usually. mc also easier to take than as a reg employee. take home pay is high as mostly no cpf. tho some will pay cpf. life is good as a locum gp i would say. regular pay increment every year too.

Old 20-10-2013, 07:15 PM

k_sheep is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for a very informative thread. I'm looking at heading to sing in a couple years once I have my fellowship and this is all great information.
Old 21-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_sheep View Post
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for a very informative thread. I'm looking at heading to sing in a couple years once I have my fellowship and this is all great information.
After completion of training is definitely the best time to come.
Old 26-10-2013, 07:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am a locum gp working in singapore. i must say life is quite good, pay is fairly good about 90 per hr so depends on how hqrd u work. work is actually very easy and often have spare time to read papers and surf net. timing is also uo to me so i chose to work office hrs and to get off early to spend time with my children. there are lots of locum slots available all over singapore so a lot of choice but i choice to work reg at the same few clinics on fixed times. no office politics, really free and easy with no one breathing over yr shoulder usually. mc also easier to take than as a reg employee. take home pay is high as mostly no cpf. tho some will pay cpf. life is good as a locum gp i would say. regular pay increment every year too.
I am also interested to do some locum jobs in Singapore. I would like to ask you few things. Did you finish your GP training in Singapore or some other place? Can I work as GP if I complete diploma in Fam Med in Singapore? Thank you

Old 18-12-2013, 02:59 AM

smack007 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to smack007
Default Internship in S'pore

I'm a Colombo medical graduate waiting for my internship(housemanship). In sri lanka, there is a huge delay of about 10 - 12 months from the time of graduation to job appointment. Pay is like $ 300+ per month for an intern here . And the opportunities for postgraduate studies are very narrow. finding a good locum is also very difficult. The SMC has offered job opportunities for interns in S'pore. I'd like to know about the salary and opportunities for PG studies in S'pore for foreign grads like me. Would it be difficult to obtain registration in SMC?
Old 09-01-2014, 06:08 PM
Unregistered

Default resident physician radiology

am appearing for the interview for the post of resident physician in radiology. i need to know the working hours in radiology in singapore? how many night duties in a month ? is there provision for pre and post duty off ? what is the salary package ? As an IMG do i get to do CT / MRI ? am planning a short stay in singapore what is the minimum contract period and notice period ? is moonlighting allowed ?
Old 09-01-2014, 07:36 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I am also interested to do some locum jobs in Singapore. I would like to ask you few things. Did you finish your GP training in Singapore or some other place? Can I work as GP if I complete diploma in Fam Med in Singapore? Thank you
Yes I studied in Singapore NUS and did my GP training here by doing a post grad diploma.
if you are a foreigner, I don't think you can work as a GP here unless you are a PR I believe.
Old 18-02-2014, 01:35 PM
ICU Doc

Default ICU Registrar/Resident physician job

PGY9,trained in Anesthesia and holding a European Diploma in Intensive Care and completed Critical Care Medicine Fellowship in Canada.Looking to apply for an ICU Registrar/Resident Physician job in Singapore.Can someone please advise me on how much to quote for my expected salary?Thanks!