Lawyer Salary - Page 245 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 17-03-2018, 03:01 PM
Unregistered

Assuming you guys are not trolling, there's too much whining going on here.

come on la, countless previous batches of lawyers have been through the same old **** and most have eventually moved on to better (not necessarily bigger) things.

just suck it up, and if you cant hack it, quit. nobody is forcing u to stay at gunpoint.

nobody is special or indispensable, especially at the junior associate level, no matter how smart u think you were in school or how many years u got dean's list.

crazy bosses, heavy work loads & unreasonable hours are part and parcel. when u become associates, you can add "billing pressures" to that litany of stressors as well.

at least be glad you're not being sexually harassed to & then forced to quit for whistleblowing, as some people have experienced in some particular firm(s)

Old 17-03-2018, 03:20 PM
Unregistered

Actly what’s new. History until today it’s known that men in power have mistresses. From office, firms etc. Woman on the other hand are attracted to confident and powerful guys and the only time you have such power is when you make partner.

Everyone wants a good life. The world has finite resources. If I am a girl and I have looks and I am hot, and if I don’t use it until I’m 50 (when I’m no longer young and beautiful - Lana Del Rey), then it’s a wasted life.

If both are willing parties what’s wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

come on la, countless previous batches of lawyers have been through the same old **** and most have eventually moved on to better (not necessarily bigger) things.

just suck it up, and if you cant hack it, quit. nobody is forcing u to stay at gunpoint.

nobody is special or indispensable, especially at the junior associate level, no matter how smart u think you were in school or how many years u got dean's list.

crazy bosses, heavy work loads & unreasonable hours are part and parcel. when u become associates, you can add "billing pressures" to that litany of stressors as well.

at least be glad you're not being sexually harassed to & then forced to quit for whistleblowing, as some people have experienced in some particular firm(s)

Old 17-03-2018, 03:22 PM
Unregistered

Quitting next week?

Then how to get called?

Quote:
Now tc period has shown me that law practice is totally not for me.

I will be quitting next week and call an end to things.

I have got some in house roles/ civil service legal related roles interviews coming up.

Now The long hours are just bad. 11 pm end and 8 am starts.
The constant stress is making me to reevaluate my life choices.

Also it is the lack of respect and and humiliation I am facing daily that made me feel so depressed and lack of self worth.

I see no end to this unless I end it myself.

Actually I could sense that my bosses are making things so bad for me so that I will end and quit.

Whichever the case is, I know I will be a happier person.

Old 17-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Quitting next week?

Then how to get called?
Getting called is just a label. So what I get called?

Will there be more money? better working conditions? No.

So what if other seniors have too been through the same situation, I could see the associates in my firm treated like dogs. Rushed lunch, everyday filled with anxiety, get scolded, stayed late. Very soon they reached 30s they didn’t settle down, just more white hair, single, and cannot find a spouse to settle down with. Money wise, I do not think they are making a lot per hour.

If I stayed I will just be more depressed and unhappy and cannot sleep peacefully everyday.

Once I leave, I still can get a job and move on in life with an in house role or a legal related role without the need to get called.

Plus going private practice route is not the only way to get called. You just need to open your eyes more and talking to people.
Old 17-03-2018, 04:34 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Agree totally. Nobody is indispensable.

When you leave the firm will just get someone younger and cheaper to replace you.

Even you worked till grave yard shift daily, your boss doesn’t give a flying ****. he still drive his Benz, pays his $300/month season parking yet you squeeze through public transport daily to make it to office 2 hours before him.

My advice to junior trainees and associates is: If you feel that your boss is picking on your work, he is actually picking on YOU as a person. He is in position of power but he will
not be asking you to quit because this is beneath his status.

He will simply and is ACTUALLY making things so difficult to FORCE you to quit.

Say you hang on, ok. then what’s next? Take over him?
I’m sure you are intelligent enough to see things for yourself.
Old 17-03-2018, 06:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Getting called is just a label. So what I get called?

Will there be more money? better working conditions? No.

So what if other seniors have too been through the same situation, I could see the associates in my firm treated like dogs. Rushed lunch, everyday filled with anxiety, get scolded, stayed late. Very soon they reached 30s they didn’t settle down, just more white hair, single, and cannot find a spouse to settle down with. Money wise, I do not think they are making a lot per hour.

If I stayed I will just be more depressed and unhappy and cannot sleep peacefully everyday.

Once I leave, I still can get a job and move on in life with an in house role or a legal related role without the need to get called.

Plus going private practice route is not the only way to get called. You just need to open your eyes more and talking to people.
i'm the poster @ 3.01PM.

Um, yes, there will be more money when you get called. its called NQ salary.

anyway I think you are being too much of a negative Nancy.

from where i am, yes my junior associate colleagues and sometimes myself experience rushed lunches (sometimes no lunch), days filled with anxiety, getting scolded, staying late, etc.

all these are not uncommon in practice. but they still happen to find time to date, settle down, get married, take up hobbies etc.

life in practice is not a one-track routine. if you are willing to have some discipline in life, you will have time to do other things. most importantly, u must have some interests outside of work.

hundreds if not thousands of lawyers have been through the same thing as u have and have survived. so what makes you so special?

which leads me back to my first point. if you're not happy, quit. nobody is forcing you to stay.

Old 17-03-2018, 06:15 PM
Unregistered

What many trainees and juniors here don't realise / or realise too late before quitting is that: your boss is not picking on just your work, he/she is picking on you as a person.

Can't accept the truth? Hang on then.

Why am I saying this, because I have trainees whom I do not feel they have any potential to make it as a lawyer. It is a very personal thing.
Old 17-03-2018, 07:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
What many trainees and juniors here don't realise / or realise too late before quitting is that: your boss is not picking on just your work, he/she is picking on you as a person.

Can't accept the truth? Hang on then.

Why am I saying this, because I have trainees whom I do not feel they have any potential to make it as a lawyer. It is a very personal thing.
U sound like my boss. Boss, what are you doing on this forum? Don’t scared I won’t quit on you.
Old 18-03-2018, 06:42 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Ya and you will only see the boss's family members' mercedes growing bigger year after year while every year end the boss tells you company not making money
Old 18-03-2018, 08:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ya and you will only see the boss's family members' mercedes growing bigger year after year while every year end the boss tells you company not making money
Performance bad or company not doing well so they don’t need to pay bonus.