Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Lawyer Salary

Old 18-10-2016, 01:43 PM
yallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalBeagle View Post
And it appears you can't read. What would I be doing at an NUS or SMU careers fair advertising for a role which requires candidates from leading local firms with 2-4 PQE? You're evidently not a lawyer, or if by any sad chance you are, you're clearly a really lousy one.
hi i;ve been waiting for someone like u to come around given that most of the people here are of quality thats nothing to shout from the rooftops. i hope u can help me with these.

1) would be my race be a factor when applying to international firms in singapore headed by caucasians?

2) will the low quality of my written and spoken english cost me a training contract with international firms in singapore?

3) in uni all i did was stay indoors in the warm dorm rooms the size of a prison cell cos i was afraid of the terrible UK weather and i spend all day memorizing notes and exam answer structures given out by my seniors. Will i be found out when i go for interviews at international firms if they were to ask me creative questions?

4) when i was in UK i was somewhat racist. its probably a cultural thing given i was made to think in such a way since i was young in school. in UK I had a problem seeing Nigerian guys with really pretty PRC girls, Pakistani guys with really pretty Korean girls, indians from india with british caucasian girls. because of this jealousy i had no choice but to join the singapore malaysian student society. even then the malaysian girls despised us. what i want to know is how do i not show my racist side when i go for interviews at international law firms? or will they see right through me?

please reply.

Old 18-10-2016, 04:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yallo View Post
hi i;ve been waiting for someone like u to come around given that most of the people here are of quality thats nothing to shout from the rooftops. i hope u can help me with these.

1) would be my race be a factor when applying to international firms in singapore headed by caucasians?

2) will the low quality of my written and spoken english cost me a training contract with international firms in singapore?

3) in uni all i did was stay indoors in the warm dorm rooms the size of a prison cell cos i was afraid of the terrible UK weather and i spend all day memorizing notes and exam answer structures given out by my seniors. Will i be found out when i go for interviews at international firms if they were to ask me creative questions?

4) when i was in UK i was somewhat racist. its probably a cultural thing given i was made to think in such a way since i was young in school. in UK I had a problem seeing Nigerian guys with really pretty PRC girls, Pakistani guys with really pretty Korean girls, indians from india with british caucasian girls. because of this jealousy i had no choice but to join the singapore malaysian student society. even then the malaysian girls despised us. what i want to know is how do i not show my racist side when i go for interviews at international law firms? or will they see right through me?

please reply.
so you're self-loathing, have no people skills much less charisma, can't speak or write proper english, and have some pretty serious character flaws... and you say other people are not much to shout about?

Old 18-10-2016, 08:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi,

Some personal background, graduated from (still) scheduled, non-London, UK university with a second upper. Not particularly great results for core modules. I am currently doing my RLT in a small-medium firm, mainly doing criminal work under a former DPP.

I am wondering if anyone here was in a similar situation and if they could share their experiences, and what would a realistic career path be.

I am also wondering about the legal services, specifically whether my qualifications would suffice to be a DPP in AGC or would i likely be an APP?

A realistic path is to work for small-medium law firms (<15 lawyers) doing mostly criminal defence, family or conveyancing work.

Legal Service has become extremely competitive and aside from JLC candidates and PSC scholars they are probably take less than 15 person per year. Most of them are at least 2.1 in reputable overseas u or nus or smu.

APP appointment is usu for person who are not qualified to be called to the bar due to their uni degree. Since you will be a qualified person, you will be considered for DPP equivalent role. However the chances of getting selected is slim

Old 18-10-2016, 08:31 PM

LegalBeagle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
so you're self-loathing, have no people skills much less charisma, can't speak or write proper english, and have some pretty serious character flaws... and you say other people are not much to shout about?
I think it's quite hilarious that whilst he was attempting to troll/bait me in, you ended up taking the bait instead. This is truly a fools' arena, and you my friend have just taken center stage.

Congratulations on being trolled by another fool. I guess even amongst fools there's a discernible hierarchy.
Old 19-10-2016, 10:43 AM
unregistered

Quote:
you need to understand that studying in local schools in Singapore made me think and feel as such and has pretty much shaped the person i am today. i used to think that Singapore was everything. but when i went to UK my perception changed wholesale. there is a better life out there.

i thought i could work and stay there but many of them in UK don't like our race for some reason. every other day we would get racist remarks passed at us for no reason. in the library, along the dorm aisles, walking on the road, in the lift and in the supermarket. it was quite shocking because in singapore it was us who had it so good. it was also shocking to see nigerian guys with korean girls, pakistani guys with japanese girls, indian guys from india with PRC girls. i guess what they say is true. the closest we can get to these korean, japanese and prc girls is through AV IDOL?

and for some reason many of the girls in UK hate our race too. so what do we do? we look for the easy way out by joining the singapore malaysian student society since we have a better currency rate and safe country but the malaysian girls hate us too. so anyways i told myself there and then that after graduation that i would return to singapore because it was my comfort zone and since i have it so good back home why not right?

but now i plan to work in international firms and they're headed by caucasians. their interview process is unusual because they ask creative questions. as you know our education system has made us timid. we have a problem speaking up. we are normally like mouse when we're asked to talk. i mean ya from time to time we win debate competitions but thats because we've been trained by coaches to memorize from a script and since we usually speak so fast like a bullet train then we are suitable for talking like AK 47 during debate competitions which emphasizes on who can talk alot in a little time. so how do i improve myself on this?

im not interested in being a human rights lawyer to defend the weak and the poor. i'll leave that to people who are interested in that. all i want to do is do corporate work, sit behind a desk and look at contracts all day. so what if my title is a lawyer but i don't go to court at all? there are only 5000 lawyers in singapore. the rest of the population won't know the difference between a lawyer who goes to court and another who sits on the computer chair all day long. as long as they see my name card they will think im a lawyer.

hope someone can tell me what to do.
Old 19-10-2016, 11:58 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalBeagle View Post
I think it's quite hilarious that whilst he was attempting to troll/bait me in, you ended up taking the bait instead. This is truly a fools' arena, and you my friend have just taken center stage.

Congratulations on being trolled by another fool. I guess even amongst fools there's a discernible hierarchy.
We should be so lucky

Old 19-10-2016, 09:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by unregistered View Post
you need to understand that studying in local schools in Singapore made me think and feel as such and has pretty much shaped the person i am today. i used to think that Singapore was everything. but when i went to UK my perception changed wholesale. there is a better life out there.

i thought i could work and stay there but many of them in UK don't like our race for some reason. every other day we would get racist remarks passed at us for no reason. in the library, along the dorm aisles, walking on the road, in the lift and in the supermarket. it was quite shocking because in singapore it was us who had it so good. it was also shocking to see nigerian guys with korean girls, pakistani guys with japanese girls, indian guys from india with PRC girls. i guess what they say is true. the closest we can get to these korean, japanese and prc girls is through AV IDOL?

and for some reason many of the girls in UK hate our race too. so what do we do? we look for the easy way out by joining the singapore malaysian student society since we have a better currency rate and safe country but the malaysian girls hate us too. so anyways i told myself there and then that after graduation that i would return to singapore because it was my comfort zone and since i have it so good back home why not right?

but now i plan to work in international firms and they're headed by caucasians. their interview process is unusual because they ask creative questions. as you know our education system has made us timid. we have a problem speaking up. we are normally like mouse when we're asked to talk. i mean ya from time to time we win debate competitions but thats because we've been trained by coaches to memorize from a script and since we usually speak so fast like a bullet train then we are suitable for talking like AK 47 during debate competitions which emphasizes on who can talk alot in a little time. so how do i improve myself on this?

im not interested in being a human rights lawyer to defend the weak and the poor. i'll leave that to people who are interested in that. all i want to do is do corporate work, sit behind a desk and look at contracts all day. so what if my title is a lawyer but i don't go to court at all? there are only 5000 lawyers in singapore. the rest of the population won't know the difference between a lawyer who goes to court and another who sits on the computer chair all day long. as long as they see my name card they will think im a lawyer.

hope someone can tell me what to do.
Slow day on the buy side?
Old 21-10-2016, 09:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Slow day on the buy side?
why do they not like us in the UK? i asked around and they said that we were boring, we like to gossip, we don't like discussing about the subject, we prefer to memorise answers to replicate in the exams, we always look for our seniors to get their notes and memorise it to the T, we like to pass racist remarks about people from other nationalities, we look down on almost everyone except the caucasians and we try to throw our might when we're around the malaysian students.

so why are we like that? why do we behave like that? why do they not like us in the UK? why do girls overlook us and prefer pakistanis, nigerians, indians from india? what do we lack in comparison to guys from those countries?

why do we have our noses in the air all the time? why are we racist to the core? why are we like mice when we're asked to speak? why can't we speak properly and confidently? what is wrong with us? is it because of the compulsory education we had in primary and secondary school? why aren't we creative?
Old 21-10-2016, 10:27 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
why do they not like us in the UK? i asked around and they said that we were boring, we like to gossip, we don't like discussing about the subject, we prefer to memorise answers to replicate in the exams, we always look for our seniors to get their notes and memorise it to the T, we like to pass racist remarks about people from other nationalities, we look down on almost everyone except the caucasians and we try to throw our might when we're around the malaysian students.

so why are we like that? why do we behave like that? why do they not like us in the UK? why do girls overlook us and prefer pakistanis, nigerians, indians from india? what do we lack in comparison to guys from those countries?

why do we have our noses in the air all the time? why are we racist to the core? why are we like mice when we're asked to speak? why can't we speak properly and confidently? what is wrong with us? is it because of the compulsory education we had in primary and secondary school? why aren't we creative?
singaporeans are boring. whats new?
Old 21-10-2016, 11:16 AM
Unregistered

I think that poster has a huge problem. He is not representative of other Singaporeans studying overseas. I had my fair share of "exotic" girls while overseas. It's much easier to hook up fellow Asians (Japan, Korea, Hong Kong, etc) vs Caucasians, but not impossible.