Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

33 year old and helpless - Please advise

Old 13-07-2016, 12:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by chia188188 View Post
To whoever you are he/she, sincere thanks for understanding me very much.

Besides the "salary" and "progression" question. I have also asked about other questions and to answer the question, YES! I am still passionate as an early childhood educator

Being in such a pathetic state now, I really feel bad to be around peers. Still, I try to motivate myself my imaging that I live in Malaysia where my income is a 1700 x 3 = RM5100. At age 31 after I have gotten my memory like 70 - 80% back, I wanted to commit sucide as what you have mentioned, I really cannot find another Singaporean more unlucky than me. However, before I think of suicide, I will give one last fighting finish. Who knows, I may just make it.

The accident has changed my perspective of life lots in fact.

At age 27 and 28, besides my day job salary, I am also teaching tuition to those ultra high net worth individuals living in shelford road, old Holland road, cluny road, nassim area. For lower sec science I am charging rates of $90/hr and $120/hr for upper secondary sciences. I am a Singaporean and personally, I dislike Singapore cx as they are stingy. My cx in these areas are 95% Indonesian Chinese and I love them lots. When I teach tuition they have their maids serving me moon cakes and even once alaskian crab when dinner time is close.

I still have some of these parents calling me up. recently one of the parents called me up to offer me $150/hr to teach NJC IP program which I rejected as I know where I stand. I told them honestly what had happened to me. If this were 5 years ago, I would have gladly taken up this assignment and charged her $200/hr.

Rates like these don't fall from the sky. They come with experience.

My experience can be said to come from 13 years old when I started studying for sec 1? 17 years old in my first year of jc bec of poor family background, I am still teaching, but I only charge about $10-$15/hr.

The big break came during my army when I attend C for 6mths due to a fracture ankle. That's when my rates increased to the $30+/hr level and that was in year 2002.

To be honest, I am not a very intelligent person and I studied really hard. because of the fact that I mugged really hard. I developed my ways to spot questions and is able to do so with 70% accuracy for pure chemistry and physics O levels. There are many indo Chinese students who wanted the easy way out. many of them come to me in September when the O level practicals in mid oct. An I just charged them one off project price of $10,000, with guarantee of A2 results or money back (I cannot guarantee A1 as if you are an educator, you will know what A1 and A2 are miles apart in studying efforts). Any yes, I pay income tax for all of these.
All this talk about past teaching connections with HNWI, academic greatness and money making glory isn't mentally healthy and totally irrelevant to the situation at hand. You may say you have changed and different outlook, but the fact that you keep bringing this up is a clear sign that you are still hanging on to it. Others above also sense it as well.

At the end of the day, 95% of the kindergarten teachers out there never become principal, it's a totally different set of people management and leadership skills. If you are truly passionate about teaching at this level, just get the certs & apply and see how it goes. All this talk about salary increase and being a principal is just setting up expectations that are unlikely to be met.

Also based on your situation, 99% confirm even if you do get recruited, you will likely be offered 2k. Go for it and stop thinking about $2.5k starts or trying to project how much increase you will get. 2.5k is the starting for private uni grads in exec positions, you are not going to get that high as a kindergarten teacher.

Old 13-07-2016, 02:12 AM
Unregistered

You cannot be a kindergarten teacher now as it is a requirement to take an early childhood diploma / relevant cert to be a kindergarten teacher. However, There is no gaurantee to be able to find a kindergarden teacher job after you spent time & money for studying the certs. Anyway, kindergarden teacher also can't give you the decent salary you want. It does not make sense for a NTU degree holder to go back for a diploma too. Becoming principal is even more Mission impossible. The best way for you now is to stick with giving tuitions as a tutor.

Old 13-07-2016, 12:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You cannot be a kindergarten teacher now as it is a requirement to take an early childhood diploma / relevant cert to be a kindergarten teacher. However, There is no gaurantee to be able to find a kindergarden teacher job after you spent time & money for studying the certs. Anyway, kindergarden teacher also can't give you the decent salary you want. It does not make sense for a NTU degree holder to go back for a diploma too. Becoming principal is even more Mission impossible. The best way for you now is to stick with giving tuitions as a tutor.
Amazing how a simple fact that can be found with 3 min google search TS dun even know, but got time to write pages of grandma story of what his past superstardom. Still claim to have passion for teaching some more...

Old 14-07-2016, 03:31 PM
Unregistered

Dear TS

sorry to hear about your plight and I hope the future would be better for you.

anyway, like what many said, you will most probably be discriminated in childcare as the society is very biased and men cannot take certain jobs (just as women cannot take certain jobs).
Old 29-07-2016, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Hi TS

I may belong to the minority.

Apart from enjoying your story of glory from past years, I am most interested to hear your tale on how you got into the motor accident in Malaysia.

Please share your sob story in entirety.

Many thanks.
Old 29-07-2016, 03:19 PM
Unregistered

get a girlfriend or get married. with combined income, should be no problem in getting a HDB flat soon. be it resale or BTO.
I know you are eager to regain whatever financial loss in the shortest possible time. there is definitely a fast way to do it with calculated high risk - the stock market. this is the only way if you need money badly. if not, forget what I say.
why volunteer your medical condition to your prospective employer? if they ask about the void period which you have no income, just say you travel round the world or whatever BS. Apply for a slightly lower post (say $5,000) which matches your current mental capacity. when you secure the job and perform well later, salary will then be adjusted favourably.

Old 30-07-2016, 04:54 PM
Unregistered

I suggest u do some charity work because its negative karma that you got into this plight and also volunteer at old folks home or orphanages.

Your work luck will increase if you accumulate more merits.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:50 PM
Unregistered

Dear TS

We have yet to hear your tale on how you got into the motor accident in Malaysia.

Can you please share your sob story in entirety?

Thank you

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 12-08-2016, 03:05 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I suggest u do some charity work because its negative karma that you got into this plight and also volunteer at old folks home or orphanages.

Your work luck will increase if you accumulate more merits.
Totally agree. Maybe do some good deeds.. by helping others, positive aura will come and you will also feel better, happier.
Old 15-10-2016, 09:49 PM
Unregistered

Lost memory, can't remember much but all he could remember are all about salary. Worst sob story ever.