Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Should I resign? Sales job still in probation

Old 29-05-2016, 04:20 PM

hetic is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Should I resign? Sales job still in probation

Studying part-time now, left with abt a year till I grad

Local dip holder who just started a sales role.

No training at all ever since first day. Self reading of manuals and boss expects me to start engaging customers and to be answerable to company assigned pipeline. No colleague who can support too as its a small SME.

Sales target is not realistically set. Might not even hit 70% if we are unable to get some big deals that we have been gunning for. Dont think I can even get my comms..

All in all, boss's attitude is that i have to succeed or die trying. Sink or Swim sales training approach.

Feeling depressed because of lack of support and stress from studies.

Boss is not the kind who would sit down and listen to you. he would just try to deflect or play it down. Only thing which is stopping me from leaving is the basic pay which is not bad for a dip holder like myself. (higher end of 2k)

Impression to me is that colleagues from other department who are still in the coy generally have no choice that's why there are still there. Turnover rate is high.

Please advise people COming close to a month in this job and this industry has aa extremely steep learning curve due to product specification.

Last edited by hetic; 29-05-2016 at 04:25 PM.
Old 29-05-2016, 05:44 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hetic View Post
Studying part-time now, left with abt a year till I grad

Local dip holder who just started a sales role.

No training at all ever since first day. Self reading of manuals and boss expects me to start engaging customers and to be answerable to company assigned pipeline. No colleague who can support too as its a small SME.

Sales target is not realistically set. Might not even hit 70% if we are unable to get some big deals that we have been gunning for. Dont think I can even get my comms..

All in all, boss's attitude is that i have to succeed or die trying. Sink or Swim sales training approach.

Feeling depressed because of lack of support and stress from studies.

Boss is not the kind who would sit down and listen to you. he would just try to deflect or play it down. Only thing which is stopping me from leaving is the basic pay which is not bad for a dip holder like myself. (higher end of 2k)

Impression to me is that colleagues from other department who are still in the coy generally have no choice that's why there are still there. Turnover rate is high.

Please advise people COming close to a month in this job and this industry has aa extremely steep learning curve due to product specification.
I suspect the reason why they are paying higher 2k+ for diploma is because they themselves know the chances of commission is almost zero, so they pay higher monthly as the total package is really just basic and no bonus.

Even if you finish your private degree, I think most likely you will still get <3k outside. Long story short, just hang around and forget about commission until degree graduation and find a better company.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 29-05-2016, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I suspect the reason why they are paying higher 2k+ for diploma is because they themselves know the chances of commission is almost zero, so they pay higher monthly as the total package is really just basic and no bonus.

Even if you finish your private degree, I think most likely you will still get <3k outside. Long story short, just hang around and forget about commission until degree graduation and find a better company.
Thanks for your response bro. yes staying for the higher end of 2k for basic without comm is still ok but im really unsure because i would be hounded to hit the stupid targets. The level of stress and measly higher basic not enticing enough to make me want to stay longer.

I would only want to stay to save more money to survive during my job hunting days lest I dont get a job before I resign.

Wad my opinion is..

Even though current base pay is not bad, I believe I would be able to at least match it or get even higher payout with comms in annother company, albeit lower base pay but with realistic targets, training provided and better working environment.

I have no point wasting time in this coy getting the base when I can garner experience somewhere else and hit realistic targets.

My dilemma;
Dont know if im too quick to judge the coy.. Or chickening out too soon due to the steep learning curve..

My sixth sense and general consensus tells me that every one in the coy stays because they have no choice. Atmosphere in the office is quite dreadful.

Old 30-05-2016, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thanks for your response bro. yes staying for the higher end of 2k for basic without comm is still ok but im really unsure because i would be hounded to hit the stupid targets. The level of stress and measly higher basic not enticing enough to make me want to stay longer.

I would only want to stay to save more money to survive during my job hunting days lest I dont get a job before I resign.

Wad my opinion is..

Even though current base pay is not bad, I believe I would be able to at least match it or get even higher payout with comms in annother company, albeit lower base pay but with realistic targets, training provided and better working environment.

I have no point wasting time in this coy getting the base when I can garner experience somewhere else and hit realistic targets.

My dilemma;
Dont know if im too quick to judge the coy.. Or chickening out too soon due to the steep learning curve..

My sixth sense and general consensus tells me that every one in the coy stays because they have no choice. Atmosphere in the office is quite dreadful.
don't be a strawberry. toughen up, learn as u struggle along. u think in the sales world anyone going to bother to help u when u're drowning, u're wrong.
Old 30-05-2016, 01:03 PM
Salesman

Stop giving excuses and focus on getting the job done. In the first case, no one is pointing a gun at you to ask you to join this company. If you think sales is an easy job, please do not waste ppl time, go look for a service job and be contended to wait till end of the month for your fixed salary.

Hitting target is part of the sales job, not everyone is born to be that. You think the title is good or driving around Singapore is an easy thing, please think twice.

If you don't open up to your colleagues, why do you think they know what type of help you need. And stop procrastinating that everyone staying there are waiting to leave, like you. Every person has their own abilities to survive and they have their reason to stay around too.

Don't waste time pursuing your degree, your attitude must change first.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 30-05-2016, 01:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

Boss is not the kind who would sit down and listen to you.
Lol.

Typical strawberry. The sooner you realise that your boss is not your aunt agony, the better.

Old 31-05-2016, 12:26 AM

Thank you guys for your constructive feedbacks..

I have decided to give it a go for a while more. For those who are wondering what industry Im in. Im in the electrical/marine industry with no technical background. You can see why I find it so tough.

Trying to find reasons and hear others opinions to fight on in this job. Thats why I posted this thread here even though my heart wants to leave and yet another part of me doesnt want to give up so easily.
Old 31-05-2016, 09:25 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thank you guys for your constructive feedbacks..

I have decided to give it a go for a while more. For those who are wondering what industry Im in. Im in the electrical/marine industry with no technical background. You can see why I find it so tough.

Trying to find reasons and hear others opinions to fight on in this job. Thats why I posted this thread here even though my heart wants to leave and yet another part of me doesnt want to give up so easily.
Fine, you sound like a decent young chap, we may have been a little harsh on you... but just wanted to open your eyes to the working world. It's a pity that your generation is so sheltered that many of your contemporaries will no doubt have this thinking and approach towards work as well.

But good on you for recognizing it and fighting on. It's easy to give up when we meet challenges, it's just human nature's fight or flee instinct, i.e. the flee part. If the work is too demanding and affecting your studies, my advice is to move into a non-sales role and prioritize your studies, as Singapore is a 'paper' country. Without paper, you can't go far in the corporate world.