Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Marketing internship in FMCG companies

Old 10-05-2016, 04:50 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourplaceormine View Post
Thanks for the reply. The internship is actually at J&J. However this role that I have applied for is a regular internship, not a MA program or a "flagship" internship.
I'm here, as someone who did a similar path as you. Full time hire from a off cycle internship. Here's my take.

For me, it came down to two things - me knowing myself, and me being risk averse. Of course, you could be the opposite but I like to share with you and others my perspective.

I knew right from the start I'm not a FCH, distinctions guy. I was just honest with myself and knew that I'm an average guy. Therefore, I didn't aim for those fast track, prestigious MA programs because I know I'll unlikely get it. Second, I'm risk averse, meaning if there's a stable opportunity, average salary, I just take.

From what you described, a regular 6 month internship with possibility of conversion, I'll just take as I did before for my company. It'll add income, but more importantly, experience that I hope will beat the other 50% below me. And the upside of employment, I'm sold.

Of course, I may not be you. You may be suited and aiming for the MA programs then by all means, I'd suggest you get FCH and apply. Just saying for me, an internship that pays $1.5k/month, with possibility of full time at $3k/month. I'm good. That's exactly what happened to me and I don't regret.

Know yourself. Then act.

Old 10-05-2016, 07:36 PM

yourplaceormine is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I'm here, as someone who did a similar path as you. Full time hire from a off cycle internship. Here's my take.

For me, it came down to two things - me knowing myself, and me being risk averse. Of course, you could be the opposite but I like to share with you and others my perspective.

I knew right from the start I'm not a FCH, distinctions guy. I was just honest with myself and knew that I'm an average guy. Therefore, I didn't aim for those fast track, prestigious MA programs because I know I'll unlikely get it. Second, I'm risk averse, meaning if there's a stable opportunity, average salary, I just take.

From what you described, a regular 6 month internship with possibility of conversion, I'll just take as I did before for my company. It'll add income, but more importantly, experience that I hope will beat the other 50% below me. And the upside of employment, I'm sold.

Of course, I may not be you. You may be suited and aiming for the MA programs then by all means, I'd suggest you get FCH and apply. Just saying for me, an internship that pays $1.5k/month, with possibility of full time at $3k/month. I'm good. That's exactly what happened to me and I don't regret.

Know yourself. Then act.
Hi, thanks for the input. Im a pretty risk adverse person as well, which is why I am in this dilemma now. Not sure if risking 1 semester would be worth it for the off chance of full time employment after the internship, however i'll take your input seriously as it does make sense. Thanks.

Old 10-05-2016, 10:00 PM
Unregistered

Whats there to lose? Even if you are not converted, you still have 6 months experience and a nice brand name on your resume. Singaporean employers are suckers for brand names- youll have a much easier time looking for jobs after. Unless you have other internship offers, Ill say Go for it!

Old 11-05-2016, 12:42 AM

Quote:

Know yourself. Then act.
As you have mentioned that you were converted to a full time employee from an internship, (and I'm not sure if you are currently working in an FMCG company) I hope you don't mind me asking how the advancement opportunities are for you as compared to those in the MA programs. I would assume that those from the MA programs are typically groomed to be managers and such, however are advancement opportunities lesser/slower for regular employees? Thanks.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:09 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourplaceormine View Post
As you have mentioned that you were converted to a full time employee from an internship, (and I'm not sure if you are currently working in an FMCG company) I hope you don't mind me asking how the advancement opportunities are for you as compared to those in the MA programs. I would assume that those from the MA programs are typically groomed to be managers and such, however are advancement opportunities lesser/slower for regular employees? Thanks.
Okay. So I share abit more. I have to lay out the context first so you get a better understand of my placement.

The company I went to was a 200 people, transactional business related to FMCG products, and mature meaning around for 10 years. When I took the 6 month internship, I did it for reasons mentioned above - work experience, cash and potential employment. My approach on how the last will be realized was simple - get in and prove yourself. Meaning I wasn't looking too far ahead. Just show up for work and do a good job everyday. It worked and at the end of the 6 months, the managers pulled me in, say they like me, and gave me a full time contract. Happiest day of my life.

I knew from the start that my experience wouldn't be remotely close to the tracks of the MA programs, which I envision to be meeting upper management, seeing a clear path in the hierarchy, wide exposure to industry. My experience wasn't like this. Again, realism kicked in and I know I wasn't that sort of person. As for I saw my stint in this 6 month internship in this six month internship was knowing my work will be a smaller scale, advance through consistently producing a good work product, and be value add to the firm.

I know these days university graduate seek the ideal path of good grades and MA programs where they get these boundless opportunities to grow and learn. And that's okay! I'm sure FCH and top percentile graduates deserve that. For me, given I like the work and company, which I did, made a decent living, and contribute to the firm's revenue each day, it was easy for me to organically grow a internship to a full time position.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:42 PM
Unregistered

Default recent graduate with FMCG experience

hi, you need to be mentally prepared for a tough challenge ahead in the job market if you would do that, as I believe you may graduate at an odd time.
also, many people get the opportunity to take on such internships in fmcg marketing or other roles of which will put you in good stead to get an interview for the Ma Program in fmcgs. since there are so many people with such experience, I can vouch that competition for Ma Programmes in fmcg is far too stiff and only very few make it back into the Ma Programmes. ( I can say this as I did an fmcg marketing internship too).

hence, the main deciding factor in such competitive Programmes really boils down to your performance in the Ac more than anything ( as too many students have sufficient experience to qualify for the interview rounds). you would really need to consider whether you can leverage on such experience to position yourself for these Programmes in future. it's def a good internship to qualify you for interviews in future but you will need to think if you will be able to secure a final placement by excelling in the relevant interviews- hr looks at a lot more than your experience.

honestly the number of people who secure a final role in Ma Programmes like Unilever,loreal, diageo, gsk other Ma Programmes in visa and Mastercard is too few. it is definitely worth the try though.

I would like to advice you to try a summer internship in the fmcg companies actually as it would be less risky. but then again, if you are able to secure 2 fmcg internships ( this 6 months one and another summer one), it would enhance your profile as well. j&j is a great brand name to have.

but like I said, at the end of the day, it's what you Make out of your experiences and how you display it in the Ac that's gonna count. it will be a tough road ahead to secure a TOP notch Ma Programme position, but it will be worth a try. if you don't have any brand names in your cv when you apply for such an Ma role, securing an interview will def be much tougher.

( I did marketing internships in fmcg previously too

Old 11-05-2016, 11:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
hi, you need to be mentally prepared for a tough challenge ahead in the job market if you would do that, as I believe you may graduate at an odd time.
also, many people get the opportunity to take on such internships in fmcg marketing or other roles of which will put you in good stead to get an interview for the Ma Program in fmcgs. since there are so many people with such experience, I can vouch that competition for Ma Programmes in fmcg is far too stiff and only very few make it back into the Ma Programmes. ( I can say this as I did an fmcg marketing internship too).

hence, the main deciding factor in such competitive Programmes really boils down to your performance in the Ac more than anything ( as too many students have sufficient experience to qualify for the interview rounds). you would really need to consider whether you can leverage on such experience to position yourself for these Programmes in future. it's def a good internship to qualify you for interviews in future but you will need to think if you will be able to secure a final placement by excelling in the relevant interviews- hr looks at a lot more than your experience.

honestly the number of people who secure a final role in Ma Programmes like Unilever,loreal, diageo, gsk other Ma Programmes in visa and Mastercard is too few. it is definitely worth the try though.

I would like to advice you to try a summer internship in the fmcg companies actually as it would be less risky. but then again, if you are able to secure 2 fmcg internships ( this 6 months one and another summer one), it would enhance your profile as well. j&j is a great brand name to have.

but like I said, at the end of the day, it's what you Make out of your experiences and how you display it in the Ac that's gonna count. it will be a tough road ahead to secure a TOP notch Ma Programme position, but it will be worth a try. if you don't have any brand names in your cv when you apply for such an Ma role, securing an interview will def be much tougher.

( I did marketing internships in fmcg previously too
I am the one who posted this. would just like to add that FCH is not necessary to secure a final role in these FMCG companies or the other good Ma Programmes. usually they look for a second upper to shortlist in the first few rounds. good luck!

btw, I think loreal gives more return offers compared to Johnson & Johnson. you would most probably need to look at other companies to secure a final role. a 6 months internship would give you good experience though. just make sure you do brand management related work if you want to position yourself for a FMCG marketing role in future
Old 12-05-2016, 01:41 AM
Unregistered

Yeah FCH is not necessary but a lot of the MAs have stellar credentials.

To be frank, I even consider Loreal MA to be half baked. They aren't paid as much compared to the TOP players (you guys should know who they are), and don't offer as much exposure as well as international rotations.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:45 AM

Quote:
I am the one who posted this. would just like to add that FCH is not necessary to secure a final role in these FMCG companies or the other good Ma Programmes. usually they look for a second upper to shortlist in the first few rounds. good luck!

btw, I think loreal gives more return offers compared to Johnson & Johnson. you would most probably need to look at other companies to secure a final role. a 6 months internship would give you good experience though. just make sure you do brand management related work if you want to position yourself for a FMCG marketing role in future
Hi there, thanks for your posts! I am aware of how stiff the competition is for the MA programs, but as you have mentioned, i'm still willing to give it a shot. I'm not really a FCH kind of student, therefore I am definitely not in an ideal situation, that's for sure. I currently do not have a brand name on my resume, even though I have done 2 internships under my belt, which is also why I am seriously considering taking up this internship, as I am aware of how important a brand name could be.

You also mentioned that graduating at an odd time could be challenging, why is that so? I was under the impression that graduating at an odd could actually be an advantage as the number of fresh grads hunting for jobs could potentially be less saturated. Would you be referring to the MA programs? Do all the MA programs only recruit once a year?
Old 12-05-2016, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Yeah FCH is not necessary but a lot of the MAs have stellar credentials.

To be frank, I even consider Loreal MA to be half baked. They aren't paid as much compared to the TOP players (you guys should know who they are), and don't offer as much exposure as well as international rotations.
How much different is the L'oreal MA program if you were to compare it to others such as those programs from Unilever or gsk for example?

I actually applied for a 6 month internship role with L'oreal, but could not attend the interview as I was overseas on exchange. I am aware that they recruit twice a year for this internship - Would this internship be more or less valuable than one in J&J?