opportunity overseas - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

opportunity overseas

Old 01-12-2015, 09:55 AM

overtherainbow is on a distinguished road
Default opportunity overseas

36 f with 2 kids, annual at 120k. low level mgr in supply chain.
Leaving my current job to another in Singapore (MNC) but at the same time I am interviewing for another position which I was contacted through agency

I am going for 2nd round interview with a local big co in Sydney. I am seriously considering as I have always liked the lifestyle downunder. But my spouse is not too keen as he feels the job market in SG is much better and he already has a stable career in SG with a good MNC.

He has suggested I go alone to settle down and the family can slowly see the benefits of moving there. Spouse is burdened with parents in law who are able but highly dependent on our family as we are close. They are not willing to move and I have not suggested to them this opportunity. Should I continue and move there alone, maybe with only my helper and youngest child for company?

I can apply for Au pair pass for my helper which should allow her to stay 1 yr in the country. At this stage I am already looking at rentals in the suburb this company will be in.

Old 01-12-2015, 11:09 AM
Unregistered

Bad idea. Husband & wife should not be apart for long. That's when extra marital affairs happen. You both need each other both physically & emotionally. Pls don't contribute to broken families in Spore. Just get a job here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtherainbow View Post
Leaving my current job to another in Singapore (MNC) but at the same time I am interviewing for another position which I was contacted through agency

I am going for 2nd round interview with a local big co in Sydney. I am seriously considering as I have always liked the lifestyle downunder. But my spouse is not too keen as he feels the job market in SG is much better and he already has a stable career in SG with a good MNC.

He has suggested I go alone to settle down and the family can slowly see the benefits of moving there. Spouse is burdened with parents in law who are able but highly dependent on our family as we are close. They are not willing to move and I have not suggested to them this opportunity. Should I continue and move there alone, maybe with only my helper and youngest child for company?

I can apply for Au pair pass for my helper which should allow her to stay 1 yr in the country. At this stage I am already looking at rentals in the suburb this company will be in.

Old 01-12-2015, 12:02 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Only go if:

1. Your husband can get a similar job there. (And this job should be acquired before landing in Sydney, not after.) or
2. You intend to stay in the Sydney job for a short term (1-2 years only). In that case, use the increment given and return when the AUD strengthens to increase your bargaining power. Return as an "expat"

Old 01-12-2015, 01:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtherainbow View Post

get a hunky male helper from aus. that shld help for awhile..
Old 01-12-2015, 01:48 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Only go if:

1. Your husband can get a similar job there. (And this job should be acquired before landing in Sydney, not after.) or
2. You intend to stay in the Sydney job for a short term (1-2 years only). In that case, use the increment given and return when the AUD strengthens to increase your bargaining power. Return as an "expat"
My plan is to stay and get PR in Sydney so its a permanent move, not short term.
I am confident my spouse will get a job similiar to his current salary or more as supply chain positions are plenty.
I dont think he is looking at all and will wait for me to settle down before he makes a move.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:29 PM
Unregistered

Smile

Quote:
My plan is to stay and get PR in Sydney so its a permanent move, not short term.
I am confident my spouse will get a job similiar to his current salary or more as supply chain positions are plenty.
I dont think he is looking at all and will wait for me to settle down before he makes a move.
You must be quite lucky. My family came back in 2013 after fruitless months of looking for jobs in Melb/Sydney. There were 1-2 offers but way worst than SG after taking in AUD tax. (The average annual pay there is 90k-120k btw but tax is around 20k deducted immediately so the nett is only 70-100k annually)

But your Aussie adventure might turn out differently. All the best though

Old 01-12-2015, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You should ask him to start searching and get an offer first. Then all of you can then move together. Why not ask the Sydney company to offer your hubby a job as well? Then you both work at the same place. Can eat lunch together. Very romantic.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You must be quite lucky. My family came back in 2013 after fruitless months of looking for jobs in Melb/Sydney. There were 1-2 offers but way worst than SG after taking in AUD tax. (The average annual pay there is 90k-120k btw but tax is around 20k deducted immediately so the nett is only 70-100k annually)

But your Aussie adventure might turn out differently. All the best though
I am now based in SG, I received a call and completed 2 rounds phone interview with a retail company with its HQ in Syd. After calculations, the annual salary I expect may hit the 35 to 40% tax. Does this mean I effectively shave off 30+% off my net income because of tax?
Means paycut of 30+% for this job in Syd?

Currently in SG I dont pay much tax because of the many relief I can apply for. My annual is pre CPF 120k per annum, with very little tax paid. Post CPF I am drawing est 130k.

If I move to SYD on a similiar salary scale, I can expect to pay
approx 30+% on tax
$2500 monthly on rental for a decent 3 rm apartment in a suburb where my office will be
travel/ transport, - negligible as cars are cheap. I expect to buy a $20k small sedan.
Au Pair expenses and pay is approx $1k a mth. I will bring my helper and apply her as au pair if possible as my youngest is close to her and I rely on her a lot.

I am prepared for a pay cut, maybe what is acceptable will be $100k net income after taking away all these expenses. Is this wishful thinking?
Old 01-12-2015, 02:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You should ask him to start searching and get an offer first. Then all of you can then move together. Why not ask the Sydney company to offer your hubby a job as well? Then you both work at the same place. Can eat lunch together. Very romantic.
This is very dangerous.. putting your eggs in 1 basket. SHould diversify mah.. in fact its dangerous for both of us to be in the same industry, let alone same company.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is very dangerous.. putting your eggs in 1 basket. SHould diversify mah.. in fact its dangerous for both of us to be in the same industry, let alone same company.
Seriously, are you ok with being away from your hubby for 1 year or more? Your hubby don't need you? You serious or not?