opportunity overseas - Page 4 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

opportunity overseas

Old 02-12-2015, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

I see my advice earlier to TS has rubbed some people the wrong way especially the comment on TS being a entry manager. Actually truth be told I was being generous, a 120k all in annual if it were a big MNC it's probably only a professional non-managerial grade. Of course if we are talking about inflated job titles that any young grads with a few years exp drawing 5-6k can get, that's a different story.

The point I am making is TS career level is too low to for a company to be considering expatriation pay adjustments. Not quite sure how this leads to accusations of being condescending.

As for TS issue I stand by my original advice, there's just too much unknowns, sacrifice and IMO 'wishful thinking' for the best outcome to make this move. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, there really isn't any urgent need to take up a poor paying job in AU and run the risk of the spouse of being un or underemployed there just to 'retire' in their 30s. Au has its pros & cons compared to sg, but its not exactly a bed of roses either.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 02-12-2015, 11:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
do you honestly think AU will take you in as a retiree that will take a drag on their pension system?

why do people think sg is a good place to raise kids? you bring your kids to school, endless tuitions, lessons only to see them lose out to that indian kid with a lesser education and skills who came from pune because his neighbour in his village hired him.

maybe 30yrs ago, if u were in your situation, yes sg is a good, if not great place. today, can you say this is true?
I agree to this, which is why I hope to move my family over even for a pay cut and some inconvenience

Old 02-12-2015, 11:21 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I see my advice earlier to TS has rubbed some people the wrong way especially the comment on TS being a entry manager. Actually truth be told I was being generous, a 120k all in annual if it were a big MNC it's probably only a professional non-managerial grade. Of course if we are talking about inflated job titles that any young grads with a few years exp drawing 5-6k can get, that's a different story.

The point I am making is TS career level is too low to for a company to be considering expatriation pay adjustments. Not quite sure how this leads to accusations of being condescending.

As for TS issue I stand by my original advice, there's just too much unknowns, sacrifice and IMO 'wishful thinking' for the best outcome to make this move. Unless there are extenuating circumstances, there really isn't any urgent need to take up a poor paying job in AU and run the risk of the spouse of being un or underemployed there just to 'retire' in their 30s. Au has its pros & cons compared to sg, but its not exactly a bed of roses either.
This is also true, so I was sceptical to actually land any price I can consider at the moment. I am not confident the offer will be reasonable. I regard myself to be an entry level mgr or exec at best and I was wondering why they cant get candidates in SYD. The interviewer (future boss) was also hunted from UK and is non aussie.

Old 02-12-2015, 11:31 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
probably some butt hurt ppl earning <120k with ego damage cauz they thought they are snr mgrs or directors. nowadays some companies call ppl making 100k directors or vp, no kidding.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:54 AM
Unregistered

I dont know how you came to the conclusion that life will be good in Au. Is it just from reading articles or shows, from your studies there or from your holidays there?

Sad to say the fact is that Aussies can be racist. It is worse if they find that you are competing with them for jobs.

If you really feel you want to go, I suggest you go and try it out first without your family. Only bring them along when you are secure in your job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtherainbow View Post
36 f with 2 kids, annual at 120k. low level mgr in supply chain.
Leaving my current job to another in Singapore (MNC) but at the same time I am interviewing for another position which I was contacted through agency

I am going for 2nd round interview with a local big co in Sydney. I am seriously considering as I have always liked the lifestyle downunder. But my spouse is not too keen as he feels the job market in SG is much better and he already has a stable career in SG with a good MNC.

He has suggested I go alone to settle down and the family can slowly see the benefits of moving there. Spouse is burdened with parents in law who are able but highly dependent on our family as we are close. They are not willing to move and I have not suggested to them this opportunity. Should I continue and move there alone, maybe with only my helper and youngest child for company?

I can apply for Au pair pass for my helper which should allow her to stay 1 yr in the country. At this stage I am already looking at rentals in the suburb this company will be in.

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 02-12-2015, 01:28 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I dont know how you came to the conclusion that life will be good in Au. Is it just from reading articles or shows, from your studies there or from your holidays there?

Sad to say the fact is that Aussies can be racist. It is worse if they find that you are competing with them for jobs.

If you really feel you want to go, I suggest you go and try it out first without your family. Only bring them along when you are secure in your job.
life may not necessary be good in AU, but to say it is worse than SG without living overseas sounds foolish.

yes, aussies are racist. in fact, most people are. just look ard you. indians hire indians, and in sinkie land, locals are now being discriminated by the chinese/pinoys/indians.

so whats so bad about being discriminated by the aussies?

Old 02-12-2015, 01:36 PM
Unregistered

I have lived in AU for a couple of years and have friends there, in different states now. Honestly think its better in AU simply because of the slower pace and lifestyle. Racist or not, I guess I see racism in SG as well. I alone am racist because I dont favor certain races. (shall not name )
Old 02-12-2015, 05:55 PM
Unregistered

The challenge is how to maintain the same level of lifestyle on a much reduced pay. Unless you are planning to really retire in some rural small town, the big cities aren't exactly that much cheaper.

Car is much cheaper, but housing is still quite ex especially if you intend to stay in the Sydney city proper. A good apartment in city itself can cost $500k upwards, suburbs are cheaper with a good landed $350k+. Other than that, the rest of living expenses can be more expensive than Singapore.

I think you should not make such life changing hasty decision for the whole family especially when you are not even 40 and the job offer needs a big pay cut. Jobs in Australia is also not that easy to find for your husband and if you lose your job halfway also not easy to get back as economy is very bad there.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:07 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
The challenge is how to maintain the same level of lifestyle on a much reduced pay. Unless you are planning to really retire in some rural small town, the big cities aren't exactly that much cheaper.

Car is much cheaper, but housing is still quite ex especially if you intend to stay in the Sydney city proper. A good apartment in city itself can cost $500k upwards, suburbs are cheaper with a good landed $350k+. Other than that, the rest of living expenses can be more expensive than Singapore.

I think you should not make such life changing hasty decision for the whole family especially when you are not even 40 and the job offer needs a big pay cut. Jobs in Australia is also not that easy to find for your husband and if you lose your job halfway also not easy to get back as economy is very bad there.
At this stage

I know.. House will cost the same as SG, I hve researched the suburb and size I want. Its 900k to 1.1 m for the area and size of hse I am looking at.
Monthly rental at $2500

My expected is a 10 to 15% pay cut from my current salary. I am reaching 40 soon, and honestly am worried I will not get much pay increment due to the fact that the salary bands for my levels are about there. I am already on the higher side of salary band for what I do. Unless I get promoted to directpr, which I dont plan on, I am not so ambitous and just want to work and spend time with myofamily.
I am not emotionally invested in my career so to speak.

I am attracted to the lifestyle in AU because I hope to continue what I am doing for the next decade of more with not much changes, slight salary increments, I can accept. I am not hoping for salary spikes, I am comfortable at this level. The new job is relatively simple from what I hear, I think I can do it well, its achievable, not rocket science. In fact I hope to retire in the smaller states, perth or QLD if possible, its slower there.
Old 03-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
At this stage

I know.. House will cost the same as SG, I hve researched the suburb and size I want. Its 900k to 1.1 m for the area and size of hse I am looking at.
Monthly rental at $2500

My expected is a 10 to 15% pay cut from my current salary. I am reaching 40 soon, and honestly am worried I will not get much pay increment due to the fact that the salary bands for my levels are about there. I am already on the higher side of salary band for what I do. Unless I get promoted to directpr, which I dont plan on, I am not so ambitous and just want to work and spend time with myofamily.
I am not emotionally invested in my career so to speak.

I am attracted to the lifestyle in AU because I hope to continue what I am doing for the next decade of more with not much changes, slight salary increments, I can accept. I am not hoping for salary spikes, I am comfortable at this level. The new job is relatively simple from what I hear, I think I can do it well, its achievable, not rocket science. In fact I hope to retire in the smaller states, perth or QLD if possible, its slower there.
there is no pricetag for lifestyle.

im pretty sure you can get cheaper housing - just stay further away from the CBD. its going to be like the outer districts, tkaing 30mins-1hr to get to work, but isnt it the same in SG? unless you have an apartment near Plaza Sing now.

like what someone said earlier you cant get into AU when you are older as a retiree. They have generous pension payouts and why would they want you if you are a receiver and not giver?