Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

opportunity overseas

Old 01-12-2015, 04:15 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
But I am not building CV for career progression. I want to consider au as a plce for retirement and I feel work and life is less stressful in AU for me and family.
I am not doing this to look good on CV. But as a long term plan to finally bring my entire family to AU.
if that is your only consideration, why dont u take up the offer?

afterall, money is only one aspect of the package.

you can always nego for a tax consultant to help you. but my advice is, since you have decided that it is lifestyle you want, you have to "accept" the pros and cons that the lifestyle brings.

you cant expect a SG style package in AUS. if it helps, AU has really decent retirement benefits that are adjusted for inflation etc. SG doesnt - you only have your CPF. AU pension systems gives you a sum of money from a central pool. of course you pay higher taxes now, but at the end of the day, you know you can retire in peace in a nice house that is yours, and not a box in a sky.

speak to your husband on this. im pretty sure he will understand. i will, if my wife decides to do this.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
You are right about the tax equalization but just what is an entry level manager??? How do you enter fresh from school to be a manager that earns S$120k/yr in supply chain? We all know you mean it's not a top management/expat pay package but don't be so condescending lah...
My interpretation of entry manager is like a manager who a few yrs back was a asst mgr.
Or a people manager of subodinates who are executives and not managers.

To me a director is a people manager of "managers"

So this is my interpretation of entry level manager. My company has many of these, throw a stone, you will hit one.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
if that is your only consideration, why dont u take up the offer?

afterall, money is only one aspect of the package.

you can always nego for a tax consultant to help you. but my advice is, since you have decided that it is lifestyle you want, you have to "accept" the pros and cons that the lifestyle brings.

you cant expect a SG style package in AUS. if it helps, AU has really decent retirement benefits that are adjusted for inflation etc. SG doesnt - you only have your CPF. AU pension systems gives you a sum of money from a central pool. of course you pay higher taxes now, but at the end of the day, you know you can retire in peace in a nice house that is yours, and not a box in a sky.

speak to your husband on this. im pretty sure he will understand. i will, if my wife decides to do this.
This is exactly the story I have been painting to my spouse. From my simple understanding of the tax structure in AU, I have explained and clarified many times to my spouse the perks of moving us all to AU.
His excuses are, education better in SG, better job opportunities in SG. Can have maid and parents nearby to help with children.

I am prepared to take a paycut as I need to pay for house rent in the time I am in AU. I think up to 20 to 30% paycut is what I can deal with.

House - Since I am not buying but renting, this is the major expense off my annual salary. I est this to be AU30k annum. After 6 months to 1 yr, I may qualify for bank loan to buy.
The asset I consider is in the range of 1m.

Car - dont count in, my current car in Singapore will cost me 100 to 120k but car in AU will cost me 20k of the same make/condition.

Childcare and schooling is high in AU.
Au Pair at $1k a mth
Schooling is approx $5k to 7k annual for govt schools

I am unsure if annual net income of 90 to 100k is enough for a family of 4, and I hope i can motivate my spouse to join me, esle depending on my income alone, I will not make it and will be demoralised to continue in AU alone.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
My interpretation of entry manager is like a manager who a few yrs back was a asst mgr.
Or a people manager of subodinates who are executives and not managers.

To me a director is a people manager of "managers"

So this is my interpretation of entry level manager. My company has many of these, throw a stone, you will hit one.
Noted, but the supply chain industry is not like civil service or banking where everyone has a glamorous title. Supply chain is usually quite flat so this lady at $120k pa should be at least a dep manager with 3 levels of reports.
Old 01-12-2015, 05:17 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
This is exactly the story I have been painting to my spouse. From my simple understanding of the tax structure in AU, I have explained and clarified many times to my spouse the perks of moving us all to AU.
His excuses are, education better in SG, better job opportunities in SG. Can have maid and parents nearby to help with children.

I am prepared to take a paycut as I need to pay for house rent in the time I am in AU. I think up to 20 to 30% paycut is what I can deal with.

House - Since I am not buying but renting, this is the major expense off my annual salary. I est this to be AU30k annum. After 6 months to 1 yr, I may qualify for bank loan to buy.
The asset I consider is in the range of 1m.

Car - dont count in, my current car in Singapore will cost me 100 to 120k but car in AU will cost me 20k of the same make/condition.

Childcare and schooling is high in AU.
Au Pair at $1k a mth
Schooling is approx $5k to 7k annual for govt schools

I am unsure if annual net income of 90 to 100k is enough for a family of 4, and I hope i can motivate my spouse to join me, esle depending on my income alone, I will not make it and will be demoralised to continue in AU alone.
your spouse has a typical sinkie mentality - SG education is the best blah blah. SG is the best blah blah.

i suspect it will be hard for you to motivate him to go.

schooling is better here? really? thats what our gov says but explain why the top jobs are now almost exclusively taken by FTs? job opportunities? really? look at the no of roles the FTs are taking.

typical frog in a well mentality - home is always better.

move on, if he doesnt want. move out on your own if you think its better for your kids
Old 01-12-2015, 05:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
But I am not building CV for career progression. I want to consider au as a plce for retirement and I feel work and life is less stressful in AU for me and family.
I am not doing this to look good on CV. But as a long term plan to finally bring my entire family to AU.
This is wishful thinking. There is a good 19 years (55 minus 36) till you retire. In Australia, unlike SG, wages are stagnant, bonus is non existent and the general economy is going down (more so now that commodities is dying)

Are you willing to stay at 100k for another 19 years when you could be earning much more in SG?

Old 01-12-2015, 05:46 PM
Unregistered

Giving up on your family for an average job in Australia. Even a blind person can see it's a bad choice.
Old 01-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Unregistered

You are already earning $120k pa. I'm sure your hubby earns $150k pa. So your HH earns $270k pa. This is a lot for a couple of your age. Why bother migrating? If you really want to retire in Aus, then wait until you're 55 and then fully retire there. Singapore is still the best place to raise a family and earn money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtherainbow View Post
36 f with 2 kids, annual at 120k. low level mgr in supply chain.
Leaving my current job to another in Singapore (MNC) but at the same time I am interviewing for another position which I was contacted through agency

I am going for 2nd round interview with a local big co in Sydney. I am seriously considering as I have always liked the lifestyle downunder. But my spouse is not too keen as he feels the job market in SG is much better and he already has a stable career in SG with a good MNC.

He has suggested I go alone to settle down and the family can slowly see the benefits of moving there. Spouse is burdened with parents in law who are able but highly dependent on our family as we are close. They are not willing to move and I have not suggested to them this opportunity. Should I continue and move there alone, maybe with only my helper and youngest child for company?

I can apply for Au pair pass for my helper which should allow her to stay 1 yr in the country. At this stage I am already looking at rentals in the suburb this company will be in.
Your
Old 01-12-2015, 08:28 PM

overtherainbow is on a distinguished road

At 55 would au still take in retirees as citizen or pr? No value add to their gdp? Considering we have help raising our kids, it could be true sg is comfortable all round. But I feel I m missing out on a chance to start anew in a place I hope to grow old in.
I'm also not confident sg is a place I can retain a good salary till 50+ since there are so many FTs here
Old 02-12-2015, 10:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by overtherainbow View Post
At 55 would au still take in retirees as citizen or pr? No value add to their gdp? Considering we have help raising our kids, it could be true sg is comfortable all round. But I feel I m missing out on a chance to start anew in a place I hope to grow old in.
I'm also not confident sg is a place I can retain a good salary till 50+ since there are so many FTs here
do you honestly think AU will take you in as a retiree that will take a drag on their pension system?

why do people think sg is a good place to raise kids? you bring your kids to school, endless tuitions, lessons only to see them lose out to that indian kid with a lesser education and skills who came from pune because his neighbour in his village hired him.

maybe 30yrs ago, if u were in your situation, yes sg is a good, if not great place. today, can you say this is true?