Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

unfit for the job

Old 23-10-2015, 11:00 AM
Verified Member

kairi9q is on a distinguished road
Default unfit for the job

this is my first job, i have been working for this company for 5-6 months.
i don't think i am really suitable for the job.
it's really technical/process and i dont really have that kind of knowledge in it.
i have tried but it really set me back.
seriously dont know what should i do..

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 23-10-2015, 03:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by kairi9q View Post
this is my first job, i have been working for this company for 5-6 months.
i don't think i am really suitable for the job.
it's really technical/process and i dont really have that kind of knowledge in it.
i have tried but it really set me back.
seriously dont know what should i do..
Do you have commitments other than yourself? Do you know what you want to do? Why did you choose the job in the first place?

Old 30-10-2015, 10:06 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you have commitments other than yourself? Do you know what you want to do? Why did you choose the job in the first place?
I don't really have commitments other than myself but i do hope i can eventually start giving my parents allowance.

I dont exactly know what I want to do, thats probably one of the reason why i choose to stay. In fact my father who is very old now, do have a small business (none of my brother is taking over) but I am afraid of taking over because I have got no knowledge etc, worrying that it will collasps in my hand and becoming jobless.

I chose this job because I used to work as a temp staff when I was having my uni holiday. So after I have graduated I wanted to go into the banking industry because i have no interest in other industry, although i did work in F&B for a long time.
Also, because it's hard to get a full-time job now.

Old 30-10-2015, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
I don't really have commitments other than myself but i do hope i can eventually start giving my parents allowance.

I dont exactly know what I want to do, thats probably one of the reason why i choose to stay. In fact my father who is very old now, do have a small business (none of my brother is taking over) but I am afraid of taking over because I have got no knowledge etc, worrying that it will collasps in my hand and becoming jobless.

I chose this job because I used to work as a temp staff when I was having my uni holiday. So after I have graduated I wanted to go into the banking industry because i have no interest in other industry, although i did work in F&B for a long time.
Also, because it's hard to get a full-time job now.
maybe u can share a bit on your edu background and what is your job/industry about?
Old 30-10-2015, 10:46 AM
Verified Member

Quote:
maybe u can share a bit on your edu background and what is your job/industry about?
i did a diploma in hotel and hospitality during my poly days because I couldnt get into business course after O level.

After which I went to work in F&B but I know that if i dont further my studies, i will always stuck at the same level. However, I went to work as a financial consultant (insurance agent so to speak), completed all the exams etc. I didnt even work there for a month because i find that it is something out of my comfort zone/ personal reasons that i started to hate it, so i left.

I went to take up a general course in SIM, it's just named as bachelor in business management degree, in case I regret taking something too specific.

So after I have graduated I went back to the previous/current bank I am working in now, with the thought of just getting a job because I couldnt get in to anything related to economies, and thought that maybe just by having some experience would be good.

The job role is rather special and enriching I could say for the 5-6 months I have stayed. what my department does is to improve the overall bank productivity and service quality. E.g. paper to paperless etc.
in other words making things more efficient and also I will help other department with their manuals if needed kind of thing.

so for the current project they are doing, i dont really have that kind of technical knowledge. I will just follow and try my best to do whatever I can.
somehow it is like they can definitely find a better fit than myself.
Old 30-10-2015, 01:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i did a diploma in hotel and hospitality during my poly days because I couldnt get into business course after O level.

After which I went to work in F&B but I know that if i dont further my studies, i will always stuck at the same level. However, I went to work as a financial consultant (insurance agent so to speak), completed all the exams etc. I didnt even work there for a month because i find that it is something out of my comfort zone/ personal reasons that i started to hate it, so i left.

I went to take up a general course in SIM, it's just named as bachelor in business management degree, in case I regret taking something too specific.

So after I have graduated I went back to the previous/current bank I am working in now, with the thought of just getting a job because I couldnt get in to anything related to economies, and thought that maybe just by having some experience would be good.

The job role is rather special and enriching I could say for the 5-6 months I have stayed. what my department does is to improve the overall bank productivity and service quality. E.g. paper to paperless etc.
in other words making things more efficient and also I will help other department with their manuals if needed kind of thing.

so for the current project they are doing, i dont really have that kind of technical knowledge. I will just follow and try my best to do whatever I can.
Not in the industry, but I believe you're working on projects? I think try talking to your immediate boss first? Share with him/her your struggles. Who knows, he/she may think that your performance is good! In any case, he/she will let you know how you perform at the moment. You can work with him/her what's the next step to take.

For technical knowledge, it's best to learn little by little. I was thrown to do engineering work when I have almost zero background. I started off by learning the very basics, what are amp/voltage/current. From there, learn AC/DC, what is transformer and more. Within a year, I can talk to contractors without looking like an idiot.

I assume you're dealing with IT. So start off by learning about the basics if you don't have any IT knowledge. Go google and learn about servers/clients, RAM, processors, cache, cloud, database, type of LAN cables, etc. Absorb whatever you can, no pressure. Can be knowing the difference between RAM and hard disk. What does a RAM do exactly. What's the typical RAM size in a desktop/laptop/phone/tablet/server.

Another method is whenever you heard an unknown term from your colleagues. Jot it down, and then google. At least the next time you hear it, you sort of understand.

Be positive and take it as a opportunity to learn. As long as your superiors and colleagues are not complaining, there is no need to worry. At this stage, just follow instructions and learn from your colleagues. Learn at your free time too. Things will slowly but surely fall into place.

Old 30-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
Not in the industry, but I believe you're working on projects? I think try talking to your immediate boss first? Share with him/her your struggles. Who knows, he/she may think that your performance is good! In any case, he/she will let you know how you perform at the moment. You can work with him/her what's the next step to take.

For technical knowledge, it's best to learn little by little. I was thrown to do engineering work when I have almost zero background. I started off by learning the very basics, what are amp/voltage/current. From there, learn AC/DC, what is transformer and more. Within a year, I can talk to contractors without looking like an idiot.

I assume you're dealing with IT. So start off by learning about the basics if you don't have any IT knowledge. Go google and learn about servers/clients, RAM, processors, cache, cloud, database, type of LAN cables, etc. Absorb whatever you can, no pressure. Can be knowing the difference between RAM and hard disk. What does a RAM do exactly. What's the typical RAM size in a desktop/laptop/phone/tablet/server.

Another method is whenever you heard an unknown term from your colleagues. Jot it down, and then google. At least the next time you hear it, you sort of understand.

Be positive and take it as a opportunity to learn. As long as your superiors and colleagues are not complaining, there is no need to worry. At this stage, just follow instructions and learn from your colleagues. Learn at your free time too. Things will slowly but surely fall into place.
Thanks!
My immediate boss should be writing for my appraise within this few days.
He is a very nice guy, but not sure if this is good or bad, because he will always be smiling and will never tell us what his boss has said about us.
But i do know that he is trying to teach me, probably i might have already make him vomit blood. but still i will try my best as long as i can.

really thanks for the advise.
Old 30-10-2015, 03:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:

typical guy from sim. knows nothing but think just becuase you paid some $ to do a course (fake degree) become very smart overnight.

there is nothing related to "economies" - its economics. but then again you are from sim.

economists are usually ivy league grads. cant imagine i would give 2 hoots to a guy from sim writing about the local economic outlook. might treat it as a toilet paper at best
Old 30-10-2015, 03:50 PM
Verified Member

Quote:
typical guy from sim. knows nothing but think just becuase you paid some $ to do a course (fake degree) become very smart overnight.

there is nothing related to "economies" - its economics. but then again you are from sim.

economists are usually ivy league grads. cant imagine i would give 2 hoots to a guy from sim writing about the local economic outlook. might treat it as a toilet paper at best
first, i think you have got the wrong information through your imagination or stereotyping.
I did my economic even in poly and uni thats where I score pretty well among all other subject.
I did not say that getting a piece of paper will define smart, or what you have said "smart overnight".
Nobody is born smart in the first place. probably you are wearing a tall hat for yourself that you are smarter than anybody or everybody.
Neither did i say i want to write a local economic outlook as well.
sadly from what you have wrote, it shows 2 things about you.
1. lack of character, except thinking that you are the smartest or the know it all (from imagination).
2. if you are someone who writes about local economic outlook, it probably is inaccurate because what your content is about just what you feel, and did not based on actual evidence or source.

furthermore, even if you are any of the league grads, doesnt mean you are top of the world, other than being book-smart.
Insulting people can clearly show what kind of person you are as an individual. a frog in the well.
Old 30-10-2015, 03:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
first, i think you have got the wrong information through your imagination or stereotyping.
I did my economic even in poly and uni thats where I score pretty well among all other subject.
I did not say that getting a piece of paper will define smart, or what you have said "smart overnight".
Nobody is born smart in the first place. probably you are wearing a tall hat for yourself that you are smarter than anybody or everybody.
Neither did i say i want to write a local economic outlook as well.
sadly from what you have wrote, it shows 2 things about you.
1. lack of character, except thinking that you are the smartest or the know it all (from imagination).
2. if you are someone who writes about local economic outlook, it probably is inaccurate because what your content is about just what you feel, and did not based on actual evidence or source.

furthermore, even if you are any of the league grads, doesnt mean you are top of the world, other than being book-smart.
Insulting people can clearly show what kind of person you are as an individual. a frog in the well.
thats ok mate, if he is truly an economist, then i guess earning 10-15k a month being a frog in the well/book smart local grad is not bad.