How to start at a Bank! - Page 6 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

How to start at a Bank!

Old 29-07-2015, 06:13 PM
Unregistered

Just curious, OP mention that she have friends working in banking industry and had refer her to the HR, but still got rejected.

Certainly, they will tell you that you lack of banking experience and etc. I think telling you that you do not have banking experience is just a reason for rejection, not the actual reason for rejecting you.

Because if you have connections (your friends where your friends parents have connection with the director play golf), I don't think banking experience will affect much, cause you mention that you want to apply for any position in the bank.

The reason of rejection could be the way you approach, for example, did you tell your friends to refer you to ANY position in the banking industry? If thats the case, then your rejection is 100% confirm.

Or did your friends put up good words for you? because if refer someone the HR will roughly ask about the candidate and etc.

Or you apply through job portal? That is the worse platform to go to, it is better to send your resume directly to the HR.

To those who encourage her that just go for it, go for her dream, I know your intention is good, but the reality is harsh, if I am the HR, receiving the resume from OP, I will have to think again, because she dont have a goal. Even if she makes it to the first round or second round of interview, she will be hammered down by the employers (HR, managers and directors).

For now, I would rather OP to either start networking, not by pm people through linkedin and ask for referrer, because you will only dig your own grave. The reason I say that is because you might not know that the person might be your hiring manager or the decision maker of deciding whether you should get the job. Even is just a normal employee, this desperation will spread to the manager's and/or director's ears then your career in banking will be gone.

Banking industry is rather small, so if this kind of negative news spreads across the industry, I can tell you, your dream of entering the banking industry will be vanished. Even if you go in, you will be a small fry and that's it. Your AML career goal will be diminished.

Not sure how many people you have pmed in Linkedin, but for sure, news will spread.

For now, good luck in your job hunting. Also, listen to both negative and positive side of the comment by the people here. Certainly, some of them might be harsh and some of the comment might be good (cause of encouragement and support your decision), but if you only want to hear the good stuff, then filter it out yourself.

Old 29-07-2015, 06:14 PM
Verified Member

Cassie is on a distinguished road

Well I do apply for Customer Service roles as well, the local banks do not politely reject applicants (they just ignore you ) but here's the rejection message from HSBC for the role of First Impression Officer, sent 4 hours after I applied.
An FIO is the pretty lady or handsome dude that will greet you and direct you to the right place, according to what you are at that branch to do.

Received
Friday, 19 June 2015, 14:35:46
From
HSBC Resourcing Team <[email protected]>
To
[email protected]
Cc
Subject
HSBC – Your Application for 000066DT – First Impression Officer - Sales, Distribution and Business Development

Dear ------

Thank you for applying to join HSBC.

We regret to inform you that you have not met the minimum requirements for this role and therefore we will not be progressing your application on this occasion.

At HSBC we know that people develop over time and so we're happy to consider re-applications to the same role after a six month period.

You will no doubt appreciate that competition for roles is very intense and we regret to inform you that the position has now been filled and we will not be progressing your application.

Thank you for your interest and we hope to hear from you soon.

Kind regards

HSBC Recruitment Team

@theGrumpyPants I know! You're gonna say cos I'm not pretty enough right! Hahaha! We're getting to know each other too well

Old 29-07-2015, 06:18 PM
Verified Member

Cassie is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your balanced perspective. I have applied directly with my friends to actual roles that I saw were open on the bank's site. My friends are all front line but my applications was for back office, so they did not get to speak to the HR or hiring manager directly. Furthermore, they are pretty new, so I do not want to push them to ask so many favours.
The one whose dad has choice golfing mates is only my school mate and not my close friend. So no favours there! Haha!

Old 29-07-2015, 06:47 PM
Unregistered

It would help if TS can articulate what exactly is it in bank that makes her so interested & desperate to get in to the point of just asking strangers for reference.

No offence, but I read the thread so long and still don't get it why die die must be working in a bank. I can understand if you don't like your current job and on the look out, but really why must it be a bank?

Is it the money? Is it the glamour? What? Cannot be CBD because there are thousands of other companies also based in CBD area. To me it seems strange that with many jobs out there that you can at least leverage on your cert and experience to have a good chance of an upward or lateral move you don't want but keep trying for a place where obviously you are a misfit.

Some of my friends die die must go for banks, but that's because they want to gamble a shot at becoming investment bankers or traders and willing to take the risk & rejection. You appear to be just applying any job even downgrading to low level basic customer service / general sales type. Why? Is being a sales agent or customer service in a bank really that much appealing compared to say another MNC in a different industry?
Old 29-07-2015, 07:36 PM
Unregistered

Cassie, I have a few questions:
1) What is your height?
2) What is your weight?
3) What is your Age and which part of SG are you from?
4) Are you single?
Old 29-07-2015, 08:26 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Cassie, I have a few questions:
1) What is your height?
2) What is your weight?
3) What is your Age and which part of SG are you from?
4) Are you single?
Thread is fast spiralling out of control to something else. Entertaining! Haha

Old 29-07-2015, 08:29 PM
Unregistered

From my personal experience, no relevant work experience in bank do not stand any chance of even getting basic kyc role although requirements look very basic. Even those who have worked for bank already find it hard. How come your banking friends never share this aspect?
Don't even think certification will help you that much besides networking. That said, most greenhorns going to aml field will start out getting ICA certs. I don't think launching into acams certification alone is going to help you much. (Whether these certs even help at all is questionable)
Old 29-07-2015, 08:32 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It would help if TS can articulate what exactly is it in bank that makes her so interested & desperate to get in to the point of just asking strangers for reference. No offence, but I read the thread so long and still don't get it why die die must be working in a bank. I can understand if you don't like your current job and on the look out, but really why must it be a bank?
that's what I've been trying to ask but not response yet.
If you can't even articulate it out, then maybe you won't be able to articulate it to your interviewer either.
Old 29-07-2015, 11:07 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie View Post
Thank you for applying to join HSBC.

We regret to inform you that you have not met the minimum requirements for this role and therefore we will not be progressing your application on this occasion.
Well I guess you have you answer right there. You do not meet the _minimum_ requirements for the role. Even if you want to network to 'get your foot in the door', you still need your basic requirements. For example, no amount of networking is going to get a clueless arts or science graduate into a front-office banking job. But the right contacts will help the fresh business/finance grad get into the front-office banking job.
Old 30-07-2015, 12:50 AM

Goldmansachs is on a distinguished road

un believable