Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

NUS quantitative finance graduate

Old 18-07-2015, 01:14 PM
Verified Member

tastoon is on a distinguished road
Default NUS quantitative finance graduate

Hi guys, im just curious to know what prospects are there available for a fresh grad with a degree from nus in quantitative finance and lets just assume he has a first class honours. Are there jobs readily available for him in the finance sector? Such as roles in financial Product Development and Pricing, Risk Management, Derivatives Pricing, Hedging and Trading, Quantitative Modeling, IT support for derivatives trading and risk management,Investment decision support, quantitative portfolio management and asset management and wealth management?

Old 18-07-2015, 01:20 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastoon View Post
Hi guys, im just curious to know what prospects are there available for a fresh grad with a degree from nus in quantitative finance and lets just assume he has a first class honours. Are there jobs readily available for him in the finance sector? Such as roles in financial Product Development and Pricing, Risk Management, Derivatives Pricing, Hedging and Trading, Quantitative Modeling, IT support for derivatives trading and risk management,Investment decision support, quantitative portfolio management and asset management and wealth management?
get internships. relevant ones.

Old 18-07-2015, 02:07 PM
Unregistered

Not worth the effort unless you are genuinely interested in it.

You are effectively doing 2 majors plus a minor, each with their own set of challenges. And you are competing against a cohort who all enter the program with a first class CAP. Majority of your course mates will be PRC who works till 8+/9pm in the library everyday despite their 'natural' gift in mathematics.

And to be a true quant, be prepared to do a master/phd, and you have to take professional exams. Also, if you happen to graduate during a crisis, then good luck to you.

But if you are aiming for other related roles, internships are more important, and you dont need a qunat deg to get in.

Old 18-07-2015, 02:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not worth the effort unless you are genuinely interested in it.

You are effectively doing 2 majors plus a minor, each with their own set of challenges. And you are competing against a cohort who all enter the program with a first class CAP. Majority of your course mates will be PRC who works till 8+/9pm in the library everyday despite their 'natural' gift in mathematics.

And to be a true quant, be prepared to do a master/phd, and you have to take professional exams. Also, if you happen to graduate during a crisis, then good luck to you.

But if you are aiming for other related roles, internships are more important, and you dont need a qunat deg to get in.
Your reply shows that you are scared of competition. That is okay as every individual has his or her limitations.
Old 18-07-2015, 06:25 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Your reply shows that you are scared of competition. That is okay as every individual has his or her limitations.
Your reply shows that you are overconfident. I have seen so many ppl like you during my first sem in uni years ago. They r always the loudest kid in lecture talking about their jc achievements and scholarship. Funny how most of them quiet down after the first mid term.

And I'm simply choosing my own battle. Going into the toughest battle blindly does not seem like the brightest thing to do. And u ever wondered how I know those prc stayed till 8+/9 pm everyday ?
Old 18-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Your reply shows that you are overconfident. I have seen so many ppl like you during my first sem in uni years ago. They r always the loudest kid in lecture talking about their jc achievements and scholarship. Funny how most of them quiet down after the first mid term.

And I'm simply choosing my own battle. Going into the toughest battle blindly does not seem like the brightest thing to do. And u ever wondered how I know those prc stayed till 8+/9 pm everyday ?
I don't see Quant Finance as a tough battle. People who see such small matters as tough are afraid of competition. If doing this course from a local university makes you relate it to the "toughest battle", you are certainly better off to chose your own battles and be safe.

Old 18-07-2015, 08:13 PM
Verified Member

Hi guys, thx for taking your time off to read and commend on my thread. I welcome all forms of constructive advice as im currently in a serious dilemma in finding the best course for breaking into finance after graduating apart from taking the general bba admin degree. Lets not quarrel among ourselves because i appreciate all your valuable advice.
Old 18-07-2015, 09:45 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

Quote:
I don't see Quant Finance as a tough battle. People who see such small matters as tough are afraid of competition. If doing this course from a local university makes you relate it to the "toughest battle", you are certainly better off to chose your own battles and be safe.
Have you even taken a math module in any of the local uni? Unless you are one of those few geniuses in a cohort, I doubt you will say the same thing if you had taken a module from the math dept. And I hope you did not mistoke QF as a finance mod from the business faculty.
Old 18-07-2015, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

Let's put this discussion back to perspective. Perhaps the question to TS should be: what value can you bring to the table? Can you:

- Perform VaR calculations, know what is Basel II and III? Consider risk management.
- Can you code C/C++? Fix bigs? IT department welcomes you.
- Can you provide a profitable trading strategy, and write algos? Front-office for you?
- Do you like quant research, reading up on journals and prove the mathematical side of things? Consider a quantitative research analyst role.
- Do you like to talk to customers with in-depth knowledge of products like insurance? Sales and trading could be for you.

A first class is nothing if you know none of the above. The roles you've talked about typically requires 3+ years of experience. Your best bet is to see where you can get placed in entry-level roles, through internships or through a recruiter.
Old 18-07-2015, 10:50 PM
Verified Member

If lets say i satisfy all the criteria you have listed, are there lots of entry level jobs available for me in the market like accounting? Or do i have to search thoroughly and maybe end up with a job totally unrelated to my field?