Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career crossroad/s - Psych Major

Old 02-07-2015, 03:54 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
another prime example of the typical singaporean suck it up just do it unquestioning mentality, coupled with condescension toward anyone who is not in the 'typical' mould. this forum is full of such people who only have dollar signs and corporate ladder climbing on their minds.
with this kind of local singapore will never progress set up the next facebook or google. robot drone who only know how to follow orders.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i'm not rich but i admit i was raised in a middle class upbringing and didn't have to worry about basic necessities, so that might have coloured my outlook on life. regarding the teenage emo comment... what a mature reply from a sensible productive citizen of our great republic such as yourself. bravo.
ignore jokers like him, they are just too program by singapore gov to think of anything else except money and job. we need out of the box thinkers to bring the country forward.

Old 02-07-2015, 03:58 PM
Verified Member

ambivalent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
i'm not rich but i admit i was raised in a middle class upbringing and didn't have to worry about basic necessities, so that might have coloured my outlook on life. regarding the teenage emo comment... what a mature reply from a sensible productive citizen of our great republic such as yourself. bravo.
-comment deleted-

Last edited by ambivalent; 02-07-2015 at 04:02 PM.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Unregistered

life is short and people should go with what they like instead of just getting a typical job they dont like. this forum is full of people who see life as nothing but buying a condo, car, get promotion. and they just attack anyone who dont think like them because they are insecure and low self-esteem.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:01 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambivalent View Post
Why are you impersonating me? :/
i wasn't trying to reply as you, ts, i was speaking for myself and i can't stand condescending pricks like that guy.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:03 PM
Unregistered

a lot of people in this forum are very negative and cynical, you can tell they are not helpful and just want to blast people who are different from them. they think everyone is like them only work for money and nothing else.

Old 02-07-2015, 04:04 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
i wasn't trying to reply as you, ts, i was speaking for myself and i can't stand condescending pricks like that guy.
bravo!!!! tell this clowns to get lost and stop spreading their negativity.
Old 02-07-2015, 04:10 PM
Unregistered

i suggest all those who are not here to help and just want to make sarcastic comments and ask ts to look for job to get lost and stop making trouble.
Old 02-07-2015, 05:22 PM
Unregistered

This forum does not require registration, so there are bound to be people hiding behind the cloak of anonymity who would try to post whatever they want without fearing for accountability or consequences.

Aside from that, I just want to remind Ambivalent that job interest can be cultivated, and changes from time to time with age and maturity. What you want now might not be the same ten, twenty years down the road. There is nothing wrong with losing interest and so if it is possible, you should try to venture down a path you feel you will like. Like any sectors in Singapore, there are ups and downs, so any degrees would encounter their own set of challenges. This is true even for more pragmatic degrees like Engineering and Business. If you come from a well-to-do family, it is not a crime, even though I would personally wish to be like you. Therefore, there is even more reason for you to choose a job you like because you are not bounded by practical constraints like most of us. To help out in the Social Service sector, which I think is the most unsung sector alongside nursing, you can try to become allied teaching assistants or special education teachers first. Some examples include teaching Autistic children. There are a couple in Singapore like Eden School, METTA School etc. While doing so, you can take a part time masters degree from James Cook or from NIE which costs a bomb because they are not subsidized sadly. But since money is not your concern, do it and it will be worth while. Once you have completed the masters, you will be able to practice as a psychologist or even a clinical psychologist for the James Cook university one. Typically, to get accepted to clinical psychology is tough, but not impossible. Experience is most important and not actually your class of honours or degree. If you are working in a related field and can get a letter of recommendation, it is sufficiently easy for you to be admitted. The only concern is usually the costs, but that would not apply to you.

If you think you are unable to get into a graduate psychology program, you can always consider switching to Social Work. Unlike Psychology, Social Work is a regulated sector in Singapore and there will always be jobs out there that are really directly helping people. You need a permit and number of hours clocked to be licensed as a Medical Social Worker. Currently there are two avenues of education, firstly NUS, and secondly, uniSIM. The uniSIM postgrad diploma ties up with NCSS and provides the option of midcareer switchers. But the down side to Social Services is the stress involved, as well as low remuneration. Of course no job is always with downsides, the upside is that it is rewarding and meaningful.

Finally, if you do not feel like taking additional courses or switching over to Social Work, you can always consider Human Resources (HR) like what someone above pointed out. HR is the most pragmatic option that a Psychology degree can get into, and is the closest cousin sort of work you can get in a corporate setting that utilizes IO Psychology. Since you have mentioned that your degree is from the UK and is not exactly widely recognized, you can start by being not too picky about the position and salary as well as the repute of the company. Start small and eventually make progressive steps. Everybody does it this way back then when degrees are not that common. When you have secured a job, you could even pursue a part time masters for you to eventually go into the field that you want to.

Personally, I am a Psychology major as well just like you. But unlike you, I was initially from Engineering until I started failing my first semester, which prompted me to transfer. I had the option of transferring to Science which arguably would open more doors for me, but I did not. I chose to do something that interests me, and that was Psychology. But after transferring, I realized that Psychology in University level has an empirical focus instead of application, much to my disappointment. I was not the type to like research, I want to apply it instead on the masses, and sadly Social Work would have been the better option but I was naïve back then. Looking back now, I have many regrets, but in life there are always decisions that are not too wise and also good decisions. If you keep looking back at the what could have beens and the what nots, life is going to be really miserable. Stay healthy and keep a positive mindset and eventually things will fall into place. Trust me. Someone might be getting paid higher but eventually falls ill would end up having those money spent on medical bills. Everything is a cycle, and eventually what matters is whether you are happy or not. Health plays a very important part. I have friends from Engineering and business having a stable and good career. They do not worry about jobs because there are shortage of jobs out there. But still, I do not regret because I have made the decision, and I believe if you are willing to work hard and persevere, there will be a way. You have my support and never give up!
Old 02-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Verified Member

ambivalent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This forum does not require registration, so there are bound to be people hiding behind the cloak of anonymity who would try to post whatever they want without fearing for accountability or consequences.

Aside from that, I just want to remind Ambivalent that job interest can be cultivated, and changes from time to time with age and maturity. What you want now might not be the same ten, twenty years down the road. There is nothing wrong with losing interest and so if it is possible, you should try to venture down a path you feel you will like. Like any sectors in Singapore, there are ups and downs, so any degrees would encounter their own set of challenges. This is true even for more pragmatic degrees like Engineering and Business. If you come from a well-to-do family, it is not a crime, even though I would personally wish to be like you. Therefore, there is even more reason for you to choose a job you like because you are not bounded by practical constraints like most of us. To help out in the Social Service sector, which I think is the most unsung sector alongside nursing, you can try to become allied teaching assistants or special education teachers first. Some examples include teaching Autistic children. There are a couple in Singapore like Eden School, METTA School etc. While doing so, you can take a part time masters degree from James Cook or from NIE which costs a bomb because they are not subsidized sadly. But since money is not your concern, do it and it will be worth while. Once you have completed the masters, you will be able to practice as a psychologist or even a clinical psychologist for the James Cook university one. Typically, to get accepted to clinical psychology is tough, but not impossible. Experience is most important and not actually your class of honours or degree. If you are working in a related field and can get a letter of recommendation, it is sufficiently easy for you to be admitted. The only concern is usually the costs, but that would not apply to you.

If you think you are unable to get into a graduate psychology program, you can always consider switching to Social Work. Unlike Psychology, Social Work is a regulated sector in Singapore and there will always be jobs out there that are really directly helping people. You need a permit and number of hours clocked to be licensed as a Medical Social Worker. Currently there are two avenues of education, firstly NUS, and secondly, uniSIM. The uniSIM postgrad diploma ties up with NCSS and provides the option of midcareer switchers. But the down side to Social Services is the stress involved, as well as low remuneration. Of course no job is always with downsides, the upside is that it is rewarding and meaningful.

Finally, if you do not feel like taking additional courses or switching over to Social Work, you can always consider Human Resources (HR) like what someone above pointed out. HR is the most pragmatic option that a Psychology degree can get into, and is the closest cousin sort of work you can get in a corporate setting that utilizes IO Psychology. Since you have mentioned that your degree is from the UK and is not exactly widely recognized, you can start by being not too picky about the position and salary as well as the repute of the company. Start small and eventually make progressive steps. Everybody does it this way back then when degrees are not that common. When you have secured a job, you could even pursue a part time masters for you to eventually go into the field that you want to.

Personally, I am a Psychology major as well just like you. But unlike you, I was initially from Engineering until I started failing my first semester, which prompted me to transfer. I had the option of transferring to Science which arguably would open more doors for me, but I did not. I chose to do something that interests me, and that was Psychology. But after transferring, I realized that Psychology in University level has an empirical focus instead of application, much to my disappointment. I was not the type to like research, I want to apply it instead on the masses, and sadly Social Work would have been the better option but I was naïve back then. Looking back now, I have many regrets, but in life there are always decisions that are not too wise and also good decisions. If you keep looking back at the what could have beens and the what nots, life is going to be really miserable. Stay healthy and keep a positive mindset and eventually things will fall into place. Trust me. Someone might be getting paid higher but eventually falls ill would end up having those money spent on medical bills. Everything is a cycle, and eventually what matters is whether you are happy or not. Health plays a very important part. I have friends from Engineering and business having a stable and good career. They do not worry about jobs because there are shortage of jobs out there. But still, I do not regret because I have made the decision, and I believe if you are willing to work hard and persevere, there will be a way. You have my support and never give up!
This is really encouraging. Thanks. I'm sure everyone needs some form of encouragement every now and then.

To clarify and provide a better context / profile of myself:
Prior to my current employment, I've been working in academic roles and those regarding child development in residential settings. Upon graduation, I've applied for numerous positions that dealt primarily with youths and children.

I've personally considered pursuing a Masters degree in guidance/counseling (as I've a keen interest in career consulting in firms like WDA) but decided that a better choice would be to acquire work experience first. (Since I'm no longer that young, albeit in my twenties. Clearly, time isn't on my side).

As for the suggestions pertaining to special needs, unfortunately it isn't my cup of tea. I'm currently venturing into other areas as well, apart from the social services / related industries.

While cost(s) isn't an issue, I've to make financial plans for my future too. And this can only be made possible by getting an employment that offers stability.