Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career crossroad/s - Psych Major

Old 01-07-2015, 05:13 PM
Verified Member

ambivalent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Go for back office support jobs either analyst type work or admin based regardless of industry. As for thrive & learning opportunities, haha if got is bonus, don't have life goes on lah.

You already have a degree, no point wasting time buying another soft skill generic degree, waste of time & money.

Unless you wanna work in social service, dun waste time on these things. A normal employer in pte sector won't care about such 'CCA'.

I dunno, student care sounds like just another typical admin based corporate work. As per advice #1, just apply if you see it. Law of large numbers.

As for managerial role, haha I predict you will struggle even to get normal corporate exec work, now is not the time to fantasize about becoming a manager.
One of my purpose in creating this thread was to seek suggestions on how I can value-add (perhaps a part-time degree?) with a general psych degree after I've gained a better employment elsewhere. I'm not looking for courses that are general. 2 general degrees, like what you've mentioned = waste time & money.

I actually feel conflicted, because I have a genuine interest (passion) in the helping profession but there's a need to pursue a career that offers prospects & decent pay (reality). Passion vs Reality in this case.

Old 01-07-2015, 10:24 PM
Unregistered

~~~Bump~~~

Old 02-07-2015, 12:43 AM
Unregistered

It is more often that reality can fund your passion, not the other way round as everyone has bills to pay. You need to evaluate any future financial commitments (marriage,family, home, parental allowance etc) to get a better gauge of whether following passion would be the right decision if it comes at a lower monetary return. You can handle it, go for passion as life should be spent doing what you like.

That said. If you browse some of the older threads, you will find cases of people pursuing passion but regretting later on in life when they struggly financially. (unless they are rich background to begin with)

Every decision has its price.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 02-07-2015, 06:00 AM
Verified Member

ambivalent is on a distinguished road

Quote:
It is more often that reality can fund your passion, not the other way round as everyone has bills to pay. You need to evaluate any future financial commitments (marriage,family, home, parental allowance etc) to get a better gauge of whether following passion would be the right decision if it comes at a lower monetary return. You can handle it, go for passion as life should be spent doing what you like.

That said. If you browse some of the older threads, you will find cases of people pursuing passion but regretting later on in life when they struggly financially. (unless they are rich background to begin with)

Every decision has its price.
Hi, which is why I've decided to pursue another field and forgo passion because this "passion" can't bring me far in life. And as you've mentioned, I've to consider financial commitments in the near future.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:56 AM
Unregistered

One thing that came up strongly is the fact that you keep mentioning you're an introvert. There's nothing wrong with being an introvert. But you should work to be an extrovert when needed. I know tonnes of people who are introvert by nature, but extrovert when work requires them to do. Its a norm, so get over it.

People have offered you their opinions, but you seem hesistant to accept them. You keep going round and round about securing another paper degree, and are picky when it comes to the type of industry you want to work in. I get it. You are young, with no financial committments, probably still living off your parents. Your family must be rich (to send you to UK to study), or you have a long dist degree (study locally). You're lucky if its the former, else good luck to you on having a generic degree (through long dist). Btw what's your honours? Without at least providing more information about your academic credentials, people cannot provide further inputs.

You also talked about management trainee programme. Well how sure are you, an introvert, will excel in it? Frankly speaking, how can an introvert even communicate with student (you being a student coach or something). Maybe you don't even comprehand the meaning of intro/extro.

A word of advice here. Passion can be cultivated. When you're good at something, that something can become your passion. But when you're bad at something you're passionate at, more often than not it will cease to be your passion. Don't be so narrow minded and keep harping on what I cannot do, don't want to do, not good at, no passion in etc. Any potential employer won't want such employees.

Unless of course you have a rich family to fall back on, then that explains alot.
Old 02-07-2015, 11:19 AM
Unregistered

I really don't understand what's TS problem after reading through 3 pages. OK you are introvert, have a psychology degree and want to find something that don't need to keep talking to people.

Fair enough, other than jobs like sales, customer service, hr, pr, there are still tons of office work that require only basic com skill just sit around desk typing email, use MS office & answer the occasional call. Is there really a need to go drama round & round all day?

Just get your lazy @ss off what student mentoring BS and start applying for real jobs out there. Make it a point to send at least 5 applications a day, go for whatever interviews, gain exp and find out more if the job & company is suitable for you.

Jeez you are a youngster who haven't even start his real career already behaving like a 60 year old retiree kopitiam uncle. Got time to think so much of all these cheem concepts might as well start doing something concrete.

Old 02-07-2015, 12:31 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I really don't understand what's TS problem after reading through 3 pages. OK you are introvert, have a psychology degree and want to find something that don't need to keep talking to people.

Fair enough, other than jobs like sales, customer service, hr, pr, there are still tons of office work that require only basic com skill just sit around desk typing email, use MS office & answer the occasional call. Is there really a need to go drama round & round all day?

Just get your lazy @ss off what student mentoring BS and start applying for real jobs out there. Make it a point to send at least 5 applications a day, go for whatever interviews, gain exp and find out more if the job & company is suitable for you.

Jeez you are a youngster who haven't even start his real career already behaving like a 60 year old retiree kopitiam uncle. Got time to think so much of all these cheem concepts might as well start doing something concrete.
unfortunately this is the typical 'corporate' attitude of many singaporeans.

my advice to ts is to not even step into the corporate world, esp the private sector as it's cutthroat and unforgiving.

ts, i'm not sure if you know about mbti types, but i think you're more of an introverted intuitive type who is less suited to corporate office jobs. the above mentality of just suck it up is typical of a sensing rather than an intuitive person.

i'd advice you to stick to the social services side of things where it's less corporate-ish and more about helping others. it seems to suit your temperament more. you'll be eaten alive by the corporate sharks out there.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm not TS but I also want this kind of job. But cannot find leh. I have a FASS general degree but also don't want to do comms or hr. Where to find your kind of sit around desk type email use computer job? What's the job title, for example, in public sector? I'm sincerely asking because I really don't know..the job descriptions all don't sound like what you said.
Old 02-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Unregistered

What about considering social work associates positions for psych graduates? since the roles are rather similar in nature (dealing with house visits, might even get to be exposed first hand to counseling techniques/skills in VWOs). and thi is not exactly short-changing oneself per se because these skills are transferable and can be applied across/in various industries??
Old 02-07-2015, 12:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
unfortunately this is the typical 'corporate' attitude of many singaporeans.

my advice to ts is to not even step into the corporate world, esp the private sector as it's cutthroat and unforgiving.

ts, i'm not sure if you know about mbti types, but i think you're more of an introverted intuitive type who is less suited to corporate office jobs. the above mentality of just suck it up is typical of a sensing rather than an intuitive person.

i'd advice you to stick to the social services side of things where it's less corporate-ish and more about helping others. it seems to suit your temperament more. you'll be eaten alive by the corporate sharks out there.
positions in VWOs are not easily attainable as you put it. because most typically require years of experience, and the educational qualifications for some positions are lower than degree level. some wouldn't even consider your application.