Salary.sg Forums

Salary.sg Forums (https://forums.salary.sg/)
-   Income and Jobs (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/)
-   -   Do you need help to get into Business Consulting & Management Programs? (https://forums.salary.sg/income-jobs/5101-do-you-need-help-get-into-business-consulting-management-programs.html)

nuttyprofessor 16-03-2015 07:51 PM

Do you need help to get into Business Consulting & Management Programs?

Hi all, I'm just wondering how many of you are interested in pursuing a career in business consulting or start off in a graduate trainee/management program. I've personally went through an international management program and worked in various countries around the world. Would love to see more graduates in such programs. But I'm just curious about what recent graduates think about careers.

1. Have you thought of doing any of those fields above before? Does it ever cross your mind? How do you think about it?
2. What's so hard about getting into such fields? Which parts? Why?
3. For those who tried getting into such fields, what are some of the information out there that helped and not helped you?

Let me know what y'all think! PM me if you don't want to share your story in public.

Unregistered 16-03-2015 11:29 PM

i'm interested... but the selection process is too competitive i guess, so i didn't stand a chance.

Once had an interview with a quantitative advisory role, but the interviewer was looking for more experiences from the weird questions I had.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 02:53 PM

Same here, quite interested with the work, but too competitive in the industry.

Care to share your experience, or perhaps any opportunity?

Thanks.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 06:36 PM

the topic of how to get into management consultancy has been done to death here & in most other career forum, do we really need another thread to talk about how hard it is to get in again?

Unregistered 18-04-2015 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65622)
the topic of how to get into management consultancy has been done to death here & in most other career forum, do we really need another thread to talk about how hard it is to get in again?

more information is always better.

Unregistered 18-04-2015 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65631)
more information is always better.

not necessary. most online info are speculations by ppl who were not even mgt consultants anyway. how to know who really know what he is talking?

will a real mgt consultant working 85hr workweek earning big bucks come to a mass forum to share detail insights inthe first place?

Unregistered 19-04-2015 02:53 AM

everything online is anonymous, having more info we can filter out fraud information ourselves.

of cos real mgmt are busy doing something else. peeps here can be ex-mgm consultant, retired, or some close to them.

Unregistered 20-04-2015 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65641)
everything online is anonymous, having more info we can filter out fraud information ourselves.

of cos real mgmt are busy doing something else. peeps here can be ex-mgm consultant, retired, or some close to them.

and how would u know what is fraund and what is not fraud? if u know how to filer out fraud info urself, u wont even need to ask in some online anoynomous forum.

did u really think a retiree ex-mgt consultant who has busted his whole life to make the big bucks and now sitting by the carribean beach or cheonging his way in some high class night club is gonna sit ard salary.sg answering a anoynomous fresh grad question?

Unregistered 20-04-2015 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Unregistered (Post 65691)
and how would u know what is fraund and what is not fraud? if u know how to filer out fraud info urself, u wont even need to ask in some online anoynomous forum.

did u really think a retiree ex-mgt consultant who has busted his whole life to make the big bucks and now sitting by the carribean beach or cheonging his way in some high class night club is gonna sit ard salary.sg answering a anoynomous fresh grad question?

Lol. I'm not that poster. But to be honest, yes, there's a small possibility that that could happen. There are many retired high-flyers out there doing this as it gives them a sense of fulfillment.

Unregistered 20-04-2015 12:59 PM

Hi, I am a retired high flyer who retired in my mid 40s and now in my mid 50s. Even though I am a millionaire, I don't waste my time on some beach lazying around nor partying in some fancy nite club. I spend my time investing my money in global markets and do lots of charitable work. Life is now more meaningful and I am a lot happier and contented now.