Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

payscheme of GLCs

Old 13-03-2015, 09:05 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Ok....anyone else working in healthcare GLCs willing to contribute more insights?
Actually why do you still need more validations? From what I've seen thus far, many people here had already provided their insights. It's either you're still clinging onto the fact that there's a glimmer of silver lining with respect to salary and career progression in the healthcare institutions, or you're in utter disbelief of the cold hard truth.

Either way, you seemed to be more concern about remuneration than anything. Not that there's anything wrong, but to work in healthcare sector, one must have a more "altruistic" outlook towards his/her work and impact beyond self serving needs.

Old 13-03-2015, 09:43 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Actually why do you still need more validations? From what I've seen thus far, many people here had already provided their insights. It's either you're still clinging onto the fact that there's a glimmer of silver lining with respect to salary and career progression in the healthcare institutions, or you're in utter disbelief of the cold hard truth.

Either way, you seemed to be more concern about remuneration than anything. Not that there's anything wrong, but to work in healthcare sector, one must have a more "altruistic" outlook towards his/her work and impact beyond self serving needs.
Actually healthcare institution pay ain't that bad, just that if he keep wanting to compare to civil service then really nothing to say. Lots of companies in pte sector cannot match what civil service is paying anyway.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 13-03-2015, 03:14 PM
Unregistered

If pay matters so much then dont join. Simple as that. Dont make yourself unhappy over the money. To unregistered 12:47, even if more than 3 ppl here contribute their insights, it wont be enough for you wont it?

Old 14-03-2015, 02:16 AM

Fearoftheunknown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
In summary, if you are going to join the public health insitutuion as a admin support staff, be prepared to end you career as a manager or in the best case scenario senior manager...

For me is thanks but no thanks.
Some people in this forum failed to realise that managerial/directorial are "Many are called, but a few are chosen" kind of positions. And in this current age where job-hopping is the common thing, I doubt you would stay in a particular healthcare institution for more than 5 yrs (esp if it is a demanding role). Why focus so much on the end destination when your career is a life long journey itself? As cliched as it sounds, it's the process that is more important than the goal. And to put things in perspective, majority of the employees don't usually end up as manager despite working for so long in a company.
Old 14-03-2015, 09:56 AM
Unregistered

I'm in one of the healthcare GLC now. The hours are long considering that it's "public" (8am-6:30, 7pm+ for me everyday), their is little direction from the top and much territorial protectionism between the different departments (clinical and non-clinical). Have worked in public sector before and found that we see less of these in established SB compared to the fluid nature of healthcare GLC, especially those with shorter history. Which is ironic since this is the chance to mold the culture to be open and collaborative. The vision and mission which documented these values are seen as a joke and the turnover among support staff is higher than normal. I am not sure of the value of jumping to another healthcare GLC every 2-3 years and it would be good to hear from others whether what I described is a norm in other healthcare GLC.

Good thread so far and would be interesting to hear from others who are working in more established healthcare GLC.
Old 14-03-2015, 01:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
I'm in one of the healthcare GLC now. The hours are long considering that it's "public" (8am-6:30, 7pm+ for me everyday), their is little direction from the top and much territorial protectionism between the different departments (clinical and non-clinical). Have worked in public sector before and found that we see less of these in established SB compared to the fluid nature of healthcare GLC, especially those with shorter history. Which is ironic since this is the chance to mold the culture to be open and collaborative. The vision and mission which documented these values are seen as a joke and the turnover among support staff is higher than normal. I am not sure of the value of jumping to another healthcare GLC every 2-3 years and it would be good to hear from others whether what I described is a norm in other healthcare GLC.

Good thread so far and would be interesting to hear from others who are working in more established healthcare GLC.
May I know which dept you are working in? my working hours in my GLC are 8.30-6 so im curious about your dept.

Old 19-03-2015, 11:19 PM
Unregistered

Heard healthcare GLCs have lots of office politics. Or at least more than the norm. is that true?

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 31-03-2015, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Hi anyone working in NHG?

I just want to know if career progression there for corporate side (e.g. HR) is good (i.e. able to make it to AD/DD/D level in time to come), for those coming in as mid-career. How's their annual increment like for average (i.e. C ) performer?

Thanks in advance.
Old 31-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi anyone working in NHG?

I just want to know if career progression there for corporate side (e.g. HR) is good (i.e. able to make it to AD/DD/D level in time to come), for those coming in as mid-career. How's their annual increment like for average (i.e. C ) performer?

Thanks in advance.
For average performers you should get your AD in early to mid 40s, although some of them never progress beyond SM. Anything above that is all about connections and politics. The number of DD/D drop by a lot compare to AD as it is consider exclusive. Increments are normal 4-5% yearly if no recession. Also HR over there is run of the mill operations/administrative level, so not really a dept where strong players want to go.
Old 31-03-2015, 03:57 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
For average performers you should get your AD in early to mid 40s, although some of them never progress beyond SM. Anything above that is all about connections and politics. The number of DD/D drop by a lot compare to AD as it is consider exclusive. Increments are normal 4-5% yearly if no recession. Also HR over there is run of the mill operations/administrative level, so not really a dept where strong players want to go.
Many thanks for your insights. Can I assume that personal development wise may not be good there? Thereby affecting your career progression? Also, is it hard to enter the exec management scheme (equivalent of a MAP) there? Assuming that there is such a scheme there.