Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Urgent advice needed! SPF vs banking ops

Old 31-01-2015, 02:37 AM

n30me is on a distinguished road
Default Urgent advice needed! SPF vs banking ops

Hi all,

Need your urgent advice pls. Recently i have been offered a position as a senior police officer (inspector rank) in SPF. Starting basic would be around 4.1k, which matches with my pay now. Reason why I applied to SPF in the first place is I dislike my deskbound job and want something that is different. From what I read, police work seems to be more challenging and fulfilling (you see your work directly making an impact on others so it seems). Fitness is not an issue for me.

On the other hand though, my current job is hot in the market right now (KYC and compliance). Potential salary could be in the upwards of 10-15k for someone with enough experience and future prospects seems bright since nowadays regulators are getting tighter on their policies. There is also chance for internally mobility but that will depend on many factors. I'm also afraid I'll still be the same glorified button pusher in another department.

Currently, i am more inclined towards joining SPF since job interest and stability are there. Income not really a concern also as the bonus payout for civil service is quite alot. However I've heard about the mentally and physically demanding working hours and im worried that it may destroy any interest I have since I'm used to knocking off on time in my current job.. That's why I have my reservations. Ultimately I do not want to end up regretting my choice.. im getting married in the next few years and have a housing loan to pay for. if you were me which path would you choose? Pursue interest in SPF and come what may? or continue slogging and hope for the best? Any advice or insights from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 31-01-2015, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by n30me View Post
Hi all,

Need your urgent advice pls. Recently i have been offered a position as a senior police officer (inspector rank) in SPF. Starting basic would be around 4.1k, which matches with my pay now. Reason why I applied to SPF in the first place is I dislike my deskbound job and want something that is different. From what I read, police work seems to be more challenging and fulfilling (you see your work directly making an impact on others so it seems). Fitness is not an issue for me.

On the other hand though, my current job is hot in the market right now (KYC and compliance). Potential salary could be in the upwards of 10-15k for someone with enough experience and future prospects seems bright since nowadays regulators are getting tighter on their policies. There is also chance for internally mobility but that will depend on many factors. I'm also afraid I'll still be the same glorified button pusher in another department.

Currently, i am more inclined towards joining SPF since job interest and stability are there. Income not really a concern also as the bonus payout for civil service is quite alot. However I've heard about the mentally and physically demanding working hours and im worried that it may destroy any interest I have since I'm used to knocking off on time in my current job.. That's why I have my reservations. Ultimately I do not want to end up regretting my choice.. im getting married in the next few years and have a housing loan to pay for. if you were me which path would you choose? Pursue interest in SPF and come what may? or continue slogging and hope for the best? Any advice or insights from you guys would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
From what I know, the first few years for SPF won't be too easy. You will have to go through the training for about 9 months at HTA, followed by posting as an IO and Team Leader, which will really eat up into your free time. Thereafter, it's dependent on which department/staff posting you get, but it should be a bit more relaxed.

Plus, you get quite a lot of leave in a year, and the salary and prospects is not too bad. Just have to ensure you can keep passing your IPPT (which even now, has been relaxed) and shooting.

Also note the retirement age for officers are earlier than civilians.

Old 02-02-2015, 09:16 PM
Unregistered

perhaps some questions you can ask yourself:

1. Can I work shifts in the first few years of my police career? In the subsequent years, you may specialize in your field of interest but there will also be duty hours for certain postings.

2. Can I multi-task? Because if you are doing investigation (which is a definite posting in your first couple years of service), you could be handling various cases of different nature at one time. For your info, investigation also involves a lot of paperwork. It's not exactly desk bound but neither is it just going out and solve cases or arrest criminals.

3. Am I willing to sacrifice my weekends and public holidays when I am called in for duty and/or deployments at certain events? (In a sense, that's probably why police officers have more 'leave' than civilians)

4. What will my job satisfaction be, if I am a police officer?

Work as a police officer involves constant contact with the members of public. So you may also want to ask yourself whether you can still maintain the professionalism even though work is stressful or if the members of public are demanding.

Hope this can help!

Old 27-05-2015, 09:04 PM
Unregistered

Are u at least a 2nd class upper honours, local/overseas merit scholar? Which I guess you may not be because not a direct ASP offer. Police force may sometimes be desk bound too.
Old 28-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hi all,

If SPF can match even your monthly basic, that means total package is much higher than what you get now. Better pay, better stability, just go for it.

Banking ops career prospect is limited, most people there dream of making big by going to become traders, IBs, PBs etc. but not many get it.
Old 30-05-2015, 11:38 AM
Unregistered

Go for it !!

Old 30-05-2015, 02:38 PM

Sg2015 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi all,

Hi, thanks for sharing.

How old are you this year?

Have you thought of joining CAD?

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 31-05-2015, 01:43 AM
Unregistered

Serve the country!
Old 31-05-2015, 11:52 AM
Unregistered

Follow your heart!
Old 17-06-2015, 08:30 PM

n30me is on a distinguished road

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I've actually decided to join SPF and in training now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sg2015 View Post
Hi, thanks for sharing.

How old are you this year?

Have you thought of joining CAD?
I'm 28 this year. I've tried applying for CAD but got rejected a few times. Anyway, uniformed officers seem to have more options to choose from in terms of roles compared to civilian.